Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired MS certs - retake exams?!

Options
  • 09-05-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭

I was made redundant last week (11 years with the company - 7 in IT) :( My server 2008 certs have expired in the last few months - enterprise admin in Feb and server admin in Nov. Will prospective employers care do you think given that I have experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Microsoft have only just introduced recertification as a concept. As it currently stands, it only affects the new MCSA and MCSE certs. The older certs are still considered valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone got a good link to Microsoft's current/future stance on cert expiration?

My MS transcript still shows all the older certs, XP, server 2003, A+ etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-overview.aspx

Faqs...
    How do these changes impact my existing Microsoft Certifications?

A.
    The existing MCTS, MCITP, and MCPD certifications are currently valuable in the market and will remain valuable as long as companies are using the technology covered in your certification. As new technologies are released, they will be released in the new solutions structure. Over time, the MCTS, MCITP, and MCPD certifications will retire and will transition to a legacy status. Legacy Microsoft Certifications will still appear on your transcript and will be designated as such.

So not entirely clear. They also skate past the old MCSA and MCSE certs completley.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'll wing it lol! TBH I'm very unsure of what path to take - stay in Sys Admin or maybe a change to Web design/development. It's nice when you're stuck in a comfy little rut and not having to make these kind of decisions lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

For existing MCITP certs there are no recerts required.

With the new ones that target Azure and cloud services, these are required to be recerted every so often (cannot remember if its 2 or 3 years) and to make matters worse they called them MCSE (MS Certified Solution Engineer) and MCSD which are the same acronyms as the old ones for Windows Server 2003 and .NET 1.1

Anyways, for the moment you will not have to recertify on MCITP/MCTS certs unless they target cloud or phone (such as MCPD Azure Dev (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2))
    *Note Candidates who earn the MCPD: Windows Azure Developer certification or the MCPD: Windows Phone Developer certification will be required to show continuing ability to perform in this technology area by completing a recertification exam every two years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

tk123 wrote: »
    I was made redundant last week (11 years with the company - 7 in IT) :( My server 2008 certs have expired in the last few months - enterprise admin in Feb and server admin in Nov. Will prospective employers care do you think given that I have experience?

For me, I think it's more important that you did the exam and passed it. The fact that it has expired doesn't change that at all.

I've got loads of exams that have expired. They all still get listed on my CV though.

With that said though why the hell do MS make the 2008 server certs expire so soon? The new version of Server isn't even out yet. It's not like your knowledge is obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They haven't expired...

Advertisement