Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connells

Options
  • 09-05-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I saw in one of the Sunday papers that the company\syndicate that bought O'Connells in 2006 for €12m :eek: has had receivers appointed by the Bank of Scotland Ireland. Hopefully this doesn't have any bad consequences for the bar, I mean will BOSI look to fire sell it to clawback something? Is the place under any protection order at all? Anyway, I know nathin' about it, just thought someone in the know might...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

jkforde wrote: »
    I saw in one of the Sunday papers that the company\syndicate that bought O'Connells in 2006 for €12m :eek: has had receivers appointed by the Bank of Scotland Ireland. Hopefully this doesn't have any bad consequences for the bar, I mean will BOSI look to fire sell it to clawback something? Is the place under any protection order at all? Anyway, I know nathin' about it, just thought someone in the know might...
    protection order?? What exectly do you thinks is of historical significance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't mention the war...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't you know Fino, that it's where the Celtic Tigers of 2005 celebrated conceiving their 2007 Celtic Cubs

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

not good news at all but would like to hear from someone in the know. does anybody now the the current state of the pub, its been over a year since i've been home and even longer since i'[ve been to o'connells. is it still full of punters? could it be kept afloat do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ceannbui wrote: »
    not good news at all but would like to hear from someone in the know. does anybody now the the current state of the pub, its been over a year since i've been home and even longer since i'[ve been to o'connells. is it still full of punters? could it be kept afloat do you reckon?

Its leased out to Ronan Lawless and trading as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

AFAIK its leased out, and any sale of the property would involve selling with the tenants in situ, which wouldn't affect the lease. Hopefully its a long lease, its one of the best pubs in Galway IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

12m euro for this bar? gosh....i would never say it costs that much...

so my favorite bar, the quays, must cost 40 milionns...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Its the only remaining example of the traditional pub & grocery set up in Galway city. The bar and other woodwork is original to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

trading as usual
    I was in there last night from about 8:45PM and it was pretty busy so it's definitely still attracting a crowd.
    Zzippy wrote:
    its one of the best pubs in Galway
    It deserves congratulations for not playing music so you can actually talk at normal conversational volume levels with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

pepe00 wrote: »
    my favorite bar, the quays, must cost 40 milionns...

No kidding, the quays? Did you just arrive in galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

good to hear that things aren't looking too dim for O'Cs.

"It deserves congratulations for not playing music so you can actually talk at normal conversational volume" +1
    if i knew how to say 'thanks' i would

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

pepe00 wrote: »
    12m euro for this bar? gosh....i would never say it costs that much...

so my favorite bar, the quays, must cost 40 milionns...

Wouldn't surprise me if they spent twice that amount destroying The Quays.

It goes to prove you can't buy atmosphere, which O'Connell's has in abundance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

good to hear that things aren't looking too dim for O'Cs.

if i knew how to say 'thanks' i would

Click on the little thumbs up icon on the bottom right hand corner of somebody's post to thank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Lapin wrote: »
    Click on the little thumbs up icon on the bottom right hand corner of somebody's post to thank it.
    This is the icon: post_thanks.gif
    You'll know you've done it correctly as it'll disappear and your username will appear underneath the post.

newkie wrote: »

what is wrong with the quays:eek::confused:

i like lunches there, and i like guinness they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AraMusha

By any chance can you remember which of the Sunday papers you saw this? O'Connells is undoubtedly one of the best pubs in Galway. It retains that old world charm as it has not been ruined with the plasma screen tv's and loud music that you see/hear in almost every other pub in the city. Great atmosphere there, lovely pint of Arthur and a savage beer garden to enjoy a few cold ones on a nice sunny evening!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The good thing is the StVdeP sold it in 2006 and got so much for it.
    I've never been in the place though, maybe a poster would like to take me there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

AraMusha wrote: »
    By any chance can you remember which of the Sunday papers you saw this? O'Connells is undoubtedly one of the best pubs in Galway. It retains that old world charm as it has not been ruined with the plasma screen tv's and loud music that you see/hear in almost every other pub in the city. Great atmosphere there, lovely pint of Arthur and a savage beer garden to enjoy a few cold ones on a nice sunny evening!

twas the Sunday Times's Business section.. it's still lying around somewhere, I'll try to scan & post it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AraMusha

twas the Sunday Times's Business section.. it's still lying around somewhere, I'll try to scan & post it later

Cheers JK! That would be great!

here ya go, hope this opens ok
    looking forward to a quiet pint of plain or two with a paper in there tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ladhrann wrote: »
    Its the only remaining example of the traditional pub & grocery set up in Galway city. The bar and other woodwork is original to the place.

Its the tin ceiling that is special. It is an embossed tin roof. Most likely the reason for the preservation order. See page 22 of following Heritage newsletter: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Heritage/Magazines/2006Magazines/FileEnglish,1281,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The developers didn't pay 12M to keep it as a pub, O'Connells is to be turned into a mini Dundrum shopping centre.
    As it happens Bank of Scotland are looking for investors to get the project moving at the moment.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25803-multi-million-town-centre-dream-could-be-rescued
    A foreign ‘white knight’ investor could be set to rescue a €200 million dream by four of Galway’s biggest property developers to transform the entire eastern side of Eyre Square into a smaller version of the Dundrum Town Centre, the Sentinel can reveal.

protection order?? What exectly do you think is of historical significance?
    Its the tin ceiling that is special. It is an embossed tin roof. Most likely the reason for the preservation order. See page 22 of following Heritage newsletter: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Heritage/Magazines/2006Magazines/FileEnglish,1281,en.pdf

that's good, didn't know it was on the city's Record of Protected Structures, wonder how that will affect the plans of BOSI's receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

dloob wrote: »
    The developers didn't pay 12M to keep it as a pub, O'Connells is to be turned into a mini Dundrum shopping centre.
    As it happens Bank of Scotland are looking for investors to get the project moving at the moment.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25803-multi-million-town-centre-dream-could-be-rescued
    A foreign ‘white knight’ investor could be set to rescue a €200 million dream by four of Galway’s biggest property developers to transform the entire eastern side of Eyre Square into a smaller version of the Dundrum Town Centre, the Sentinel can reveal.

Not a hope in hell this will happen inside the next 5 years.
    No Irish bank would lend to it and most foreign banks won't lend to construction projects in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

newkie wrote: »

lol...was just about to say the same thing!

lol...was just about to say the same thing!

yepp.. so what your problem with the quays pub:confused:

Advertisement