Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Racing On The Mallow Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Posted several times, very famous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Posted several times, very famous at this stage.

When did it actually take place? I was under the impression it was only in the last day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

wispyman wrote: »
    When did it actually take place? I was under the impression it was only in the last day or so.

last Saturday morning :), thread in AH with every view imaginable doing the rounds, & then some!

Few days ago. Large debate raged here and on the journal.ie, one man arrested and released shortly after.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hair-raising-video-of-gardai-and-horse-pursuit-on-dual-carriageway-444019-May2012/

Roooide that fillaaaay Patrick!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

kerry4sam wrote: »
    last Saturday morning :), thread in AH with every view imaginable doing the rounds, & then some!

Ah right. I was away for the weekend in Amsterdam :-) Did not make the news quite that far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah right. I was away for the weekend in Amsterdam :-) Did not make the news quite that far!

ah nice weekend away :). I couldn't go anywhere without checking in with boards though, even just a few mins clicking through my saved forums every few hours :o

Welcome back though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its so serious they have arrested one man, and then released him
    that will teach them:eek:, it has happened before and will happen again,
    its their culture etc etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

It is absolutely unbelievable that things like this happen, and that those involved in such criminal activities are not put into prison immediately and for a long time. It seems the so called travellers ("gipsies" is the correct term for those specimen) behave the same way every place they decide to be in, and it seems every single society that suffers their presence is so scared to death of doing ANYTHING to fight them back that in the end they win, and the rest of us, loose.

I am pretty sure that if instead of three gipsy morons on horses running on the road causing traffic jams and extreme danger to traffic there was an middle aged regular irish guy going slow or strangely with his non NCT'ed along the road due to a physical problem, it would have taken the Garda no more than a few second to pull the car over, the hard way if necessary.

What an absolute shame and what a lack of law enforcement in this place these days.

According to comments on the video a girl was killed on that road recently. Any truth in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

According to comments on the video a girl was killed on that road recently. Any truth in that?
    Yes, there was a girl from Lombardstown killed on the N20 at Rathduff a couple of weeks ago.

Why did the guards only arrest one man??? It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. Could they not have arrested all of them on several indictments? There's a serious problem with travellers on the northside of the city, i see it every almost every day on my way to work. The guards have to start clamping down on this and start arresting them.

grenache wrote: »
    Yes, there was a girl from Lombardstown killed on the N20 at Rathduff a couple of weeks ago.

Why did the guards only arrest one man??? It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. Could they not have arrested all of them on several indictments? There's a serious problem with travellers on the northside of the city, i see it every almost every day on my way to work. The guards have to start clamping down on this and start arresting them.

Watch the video, you will see one of the riders and the guards dissapearing, I assume that is the man they held in custody and that explains the absence of the guards later in the video. Imagine the guards had followed till the end and that mob had engulfed them, what would they have done? Mace everyone of them? The legal system is a joke, the guards need guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Watch the video, you will see one of the riders and the guards dissapearing, I assume that is the man they held in custody and that explains the absence of the guards later in the video. Imagine the guards had followed till the end and that mob had engulfed them, what would they have done? Mace everyone of them? The legal system is a joke, the guards need guns.
    Indeed. Or at the very least we need more guards.

grenache wrote: »
    Indeed. Or at the very least we need more guards.

More guards wouldn`t have fixed anything, they laughed at the guards. Did you see where they lined up their vans and cars to block the guards cars? And near the beginning the van driver gruffly states that the guard should not dare get in front of the horse and how he would love to smash up the guards car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

from the video you can get a few registration numbers of car driving dangerously. yet nothing had been done to the owners. one man was arrested and let go.
    usually in other countries if something like this happened and got a lot of publicity the police would crack down on the individuals responsible, if only to send a political message rather than deal justice. Here however we don't even bother to do that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

EyeSight wrote: »
    from the video you can get a few registration numbers of car driving dangerously. yet nothing had been done to the owners. one man was arrested and let go.
    usually in other countries if something like this happened and got a lot of publicity the police would crack down on the individuals responsible, if only to send a political message rather than deal justice. Here however we don't even bother to do that.....

Here you have another example of how those people deal with the society. This happened in Madrid some months ago, inside one of the miles-long tunnels for what it would be equivalent to Dublin's M50, but underground:
    http://www.elpais.com/videos/espana/Agresion/M-30/elpvidnac/20111027elpepunac_3/Ves/

Las cámaras de seguridad de la M-30 registra la agresión de ocho personas a los tres ocupantes de un vehículo que les habían recriminado una maniobra peligrosa.

Those eight "travellers" (gypsies) sent two people to hospital for the unforgivable crime of telling them off for dangerous driving. Oh, two of the eight involved in the beating were under 18 years old. And after beating the crap out of the poor two guys that didn't realize at the right time the other ones were gypsies, these "people" stole some belongings from the two bleeding and unfortunate citizens.

At least, those two guys are alive. This is not always the case. Some years ago a family man was happily driving along some street in Seville, when a small girl crossed in front of him without prior notice or time to react. The cart hit the child...and the child's father (another gypsy) emptied a 9 mm gun on the poor man, shotting him to death (11 shots in total). By the way, the girl suffered only minor injuries, and it was later proved that the driver wasn't speeding, or drunk, or drugged, or anything.

And in Spain all police forces, and we have in most places three or even four different "polices", have guns and some of them very impressive uniforms, but that doesn't make any difference if laws and politicians don't allow for law enforcement to...well, enforce law, no matter who breaks it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

It is on bbc news website

it is top of there most watched video list

FFS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

its a f**king joke. let them take the "culture" somewhere else. time waits for no man, we (the majority of our society) have moved on, they should move on or else f**k off to one of the uninhabited islands off our coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

EyeSight wrote: »

It's easy, you take as much police force as you can to feel safe.

In the NL, it's not unheard off to have 200 police men invade a traveller camp of 150 people. Often including a team from the tax office to get that out of the way as well. (they generally have a tax paying deficiency)

It's not so much the petty crime, as it is that they can get away with it, while normal people would have to pay up and/or appear at court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Did Patrick win the race? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

This is absolutely disgraceful. Why should there be one law for one section of the community and another for all other sections of the community? It defies logic that there was only ONE person arrested at the scene. If I was driving or behaving in such a manner on a public thoroughfare like that, putting the lives of others in serious danger, then I would have been brought before the courts before now. Is there fear of intimidation or what? These guys are all on camera and on youtube so they should be treated the same way as anybody else who behaves in such a mindless and wreckless manner.

Advertisement