Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

did your birth weight reflect your overall growth and adult size?

• 09-05-2012 11:09pm

Just had a chat about this on FB, a friend was a heavy baby and is a tall and very well built lady as an adult, normal sized as a kid.

I was 5lbs at birth and really, really tiny and scrawny as a kid, I'm short now as an adult (5'3") and very slim build.

Both my brothers were very average weight and are both about 6' and slim build too.

I don't think there is a relationship between birth weight and length and childhood growth and eventual adult height/build?

I could google the science behind this but it's more amusing to see what AH comes up with!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't know what I weighed as a newborn, maybe 8lbs? But there's a picture of me a few days old with really long legs. I still have really long legs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pics or GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Babies have a habit of getting bigger.

Don't all babies look the same? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Nope. I was a normal sized baby and remained average until about 3, at which point my growth slowed down and eventually halted at 5ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Unless someone is actually Benjamin Button, I'm expecting the generic answer in this thread to be the same.

i.e "I was a small baby, only average height now" or "I was a big baby, even bigger now!"

iguana wrote: »
    Nope. I was a normal sized baby and remained average until about 3, at which point my growth slowed down and eventually halted at 5ft.

Yep, this is interesting to me! I also know people who were born very small (not premature) yet were tallest in their primary school class!

I was just always a weedy yoke! Still am!

Don't all babies look the same? :pac:

Some are really cute and others are really ugly.

Unless someone is actually Benjamin Button, I'm expecting the generic answer in this thread to be the same.

i.e "I was a small baby, only average height now" or "I was a big baby, even bigger now!"

That's only if they can't understand what the thread is asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

you were adopted OP:p

• Advertisement

Haha, all the same to me!

Seriously. They really do look all the same to me. Red, and small, and waily.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    you were adopted OP:p

I wish. Then I could stop blaming my parents for my height/eyesight/temper! :pac:

Haha, all the same to me!

Seriously. They really do look all the same to me. Red, and small, and waily.

Much like the population of Cork then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Much like the population of Cork then.

burn!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I was a little over 7lbs. Definately grew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Black babies are the cutest little things

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

That's actually true, a friend of my housemate brought over her newborn, I usually hate babies but that thing was like a little doll! She was sooo pretty! White babies look like overriped tomatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My lightest child was 3lb 13oz and he is at 15 taller and much heavier/stockier than his brother who is 18.

My heaviest child was 9lb 10z and he is as thin as a child can be. He is gonna be really small frame as he gets older:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I was 2 pound 2(but I was premature), fairly short and stocky now. Just had a **** and it must be over my birth weight, should have weighed myself before and after :) who says child birth is tough

I think people are missing the word "reflect" here.

• Advertisement

That's actually true, a friend of my housemate brought over her newborn, I usually hate babies but that thing was like a little doll! She was sooo pretty! White babies look like overriped tomatoes.

Golly dolls :) Have them all over my room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Red, and small, and waily.
    Much like the population of Cork then.[/Quote]
    One has just quite literally lolled. :pac:

My lightest child was 3lb 13oz and he is at 15 taller and much heavier/stockier than his brother who is 18.

My heaviest child was 9lb 10z and he is as thin as a child can be. He is gonna be really small frame as he gets older:)

Yep, further proof that birth weight has no relationship on your growth and eventual adult size!

Golly dolls :) Have them all over my room

Are you that girl from Extras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I dunno what I weighed as a baby. :-/

I dunno what I weighed as a baby. :-/

I only know cause my godfather had this plate made up with my name, DOB and weight on it! And it's only cause of that I know my brothers were normal sized babies, cause my mother said so.

"Oh Wayne, I'm the only married woman on the estate - it's not fair on our kids, they get teased at school: 'You've got a daddy! You've got a daddy!' they all shout. I wanna be a single mum, Wayne - and I want a brown baby - all the other mums have got at least one brown baby and I want one - and for that I need a big black man, and that ain't you. You'd best leave, lover . . ."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

There's too much "cute baby" talk here for my liking ffs. Ugly fat bald things, eating, pooping and making noise then, nightmare like.

There's too much "cute baby" talk here for my liking ffs. Ugly fat bald things, eating, pooping and making noise then, nightmare like.

But they smell of baby & baby smell is the nicest smell in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

And some of the babies have suspicious hair growths...in fact, if you take this baby's facial hair, this baby's moustache and this baby's sideboards, I think you'll get...I think you get Pat Mustard!

Are you that girl from Extras?

No idea what you're on about ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

My Grandmother told me a story about when she seen me in the hospital for the first time,afew hours after i was born. In her words,and i quote.

"you were a miserable looking string of piss"

Eh.... Cheers nanny.

I am told I was a giant baby - I am taller than average now but am by no means exceptional.

No idea what you're on about ..

Ah, sorry, it was a joke from the show Extras. Darn. Joke fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭jluv

My friends baby was born weighing 5lbs.She was upset as she had taken good care of herself during pregnancy. Another "slightly overweight" friend visited her in hospital and told her to stop worring as she had been 5lbs at birth and been going to weightwatchers ever since!

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    My friends baby was born weighing 5lbs.She was upset as she had taken good care of herself during pregnancy. Another "slightly overweight" friend visited her in hospital and told her to stop worring as she had been 5lbs at birth and been going to weightwatchers ever since!

Hey, my mother used to get sh*t from other mothers in the hospital and later at the clinics or whatever when they weighed the babies and stuff, because I was so small and scrawny!

Screw them, anyway, I grew up just fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My brother weighed more than me at birth and he's still a fat bastard. :pac:
    He ate all the food that should have went to me so when I was born I had to be put into an incubator.

My twin weighed more at birth than me and was quite stocky and was always taller than me when we were younger and he still is. (Fat bastard). My older brother weighed quite a bit at birth, and now he's about 6' and 15 stone. He was always taller than most people his age when he was younger and he's quite stocky now. (He's a fat bastard too). :pac:

I am with you. I can't stand babies.

I thought my housemate's kid was cute cause it was like a tiny black doll wrapped in a blanket, and I only had to look at it for a second.

Once kids are potty trained and able to eat without getting it all over themselves, and stop dribbling, then, I have loads of time for kids.

But not before that. Can't stand them, never wanted one, never think I will want one.

Sindri wrote: »
    My brother weighed more than me at birth and he's still a fat bastard. :pac:
    He ate all the food that should have went to me so when I was born I had to be put into an incubator.

My twin weighed more at birth than me and was quite stocky and was always taller than me when we were younger and he still is. (Fat bastard). My older brother weighed quite a bit at birth, and now he's about 6' and 15 stone. He was always taller than most people his age when he was younger and he's quite stocky now. (He's a fat bastard too). :pac:

I think your family might have more of an issue with diet than genetics ;)

I was in an incubator too, but it was because I was misdiagnosed at birth with a much more serious condition than the one I have. My low birth weight is probably related to my condition, but the fact that I was a tiny little kid (and adult) is not related to it! That's just bad luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I was born 2lbs.
    Still tiny.
    Im like that wee fella off the voice show!

• Advertisement

I was born 2lbs.
    Still tiny.
    Im like that wee fella off the voice show!

Wee fellas make up for it in other areas.....

Generally personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think your family might have more of an issue with diet than genetics ;)

I was in an incubator too, but it was because I was misdiagnosed at birth with a much more serious condition than the one I have. My low birth weight is probably related to my condition, but the fact that I was a tiny little kid (and adult) is not related to it! That's just bad luck :)

To clarify fat bastard is a term of endearment, yet they still eat all my food! fat bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

budgese wrote: »
    Once kids are potty trained and able to eat without getting it all over themselves, and stop dribbling, then, I have loads of time for kids.
    What's that then, 13 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Not this again, my boyfriends mother and friends were talking, I wasn't paying much attention until they turned around to me and asked so what did you weight when you were born?

"I don't know..?"

......awkward silence

"oh.."

.... everyone throws looks at one another

.... changes topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was a very large baby. Now a very large man :D

Thanks Mammy. ;)

What's that then, 13 years?

Nah about 3, maybe 4 if the child is awkward?

Sindri wrote: »
    To clarify fat bastard is a term of endearment, yet they still eat all my food! fat bastards

Yeah I get ya :)

Me and my brothers were bottomless pits, still are, will eat anything left unattended, and we're still skinny as! I might blame my parents for many genetic faults but that one is a nice one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I was a fat baby but I'm lacking body fat now. 6'1" and only 13st.

profitius wrote: »
    I was a fat baby but I'm lacking body fat now. 6'1" and only 13st.
    You sound like my little bro, he was a really puppy fat toddler, really chubby, but as a kid, in his teens, and now as an adult, skinny as they get... can't gain weight!

Tall guy too.

We all tried milkshakes as teens to gain weight, older bro cause he was paranoid about his appearance, me because I was sick of being accused of being anorexic, and lil bro cause he wanted to make the soccer team and wasn't built for it. We used out-of-date Ensure my parents brought home (pharmacists) and bananas, milk, fruit, anything to mix with the vile Ensures, and not one of us gained a pound. I started mixing chocolate chip cookies into mine, my mother gave out to me, but I still was underweight!

Only since I was 28 did I get up to a normal weight. Dunno about my bros, they look healthy but we don't exactly sit down and talk about weight!

Guess it goes to show, I was a tiny baby, they were normal weight, but we all struggle to gain weight as adults!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I was the biggest of all my bros and sister. 8lbs 13ozs and I turned out to be the skinniest and shortest of us all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement