Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia: Skilled Visa Requirements.

Options
  • 09-05-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Seems a bit hard to gain any sort of access to the place.

They are basically saying that that need 10,000 people to work in the mines over there but when I look at it....I can't seem to see a satisfactory way to get in.

I am over 30 years of age, so that rules out the short-term, casual working visa which I can apply for online. That visa wouldn't have been any use in any case because its for casual, temp work.

I have a Law Degree, from University College Dublin, but that's not a skilled trade or profession as such. They mention "Barrister" and "Solicitor" in their Skilled Occupation List.

I mean, I have Third Level Education. Isn't that enough to get in??

When they say "Nominate A Skilled Occupation"- does this mean one that you have to be working at the time?? Fully qualified, or just something you could realistically secure employment in??

I just took the points test at this site/link:http://www.visabureau.com/australia/new-points-test.aspx#regionalsponsorship and I "passed", having answered the questions as honestly as possible, it said I was eligible for 176 State and 475 State Visas.

I also designated that I wanted a consultant to ring me.

Could I contact an employer, indicate I am willing to undergo training and apprenticeship, and get them to sponsor me too?

I would be grateful for any ideas or tips people could throw my way. I read today that there is a labour shortage in Australia in the mines, and that they take on people with no experience and train them up.

Many thanks for your time and considerations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Electronicus Digitalis

Anyways it turned out I had enough points to get two visas but because I have not enough experience in my "skilled" field, I am not eligible for a visa. Too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I would take what your read about the mines in Australia with a pinch of salt. I very much doubt anyone in Australia would take you on as an apprentice. I would stay away from these kind of visa websites. Lots of immigration scams on the internet. Contact a reputable immigration lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Electronicus Digitalis

I would take what your read about the mines in Australia with a pinch of salt. I very much doubt anyone in Australia would take you on as an apprentice. I would stay away from these kind of visa websites. Lots of immigration scams on the internet. Contact a reputable immigration lawyer.

Cheers, you are probably right.:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would be grateful for any ideas or tips people could throw my way.

Try going where you don't need a visa, the EU for instance....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Seems a bit hard to gain any sort of access to the place.

They are basically saying that that need 10,000 people to work in the mines over there but when I look at it....I can't seem to see a satisfactory way to get in.

Correction.

10,000 people with Trades & Professions such a HD Fitter (Heavy Diesel Mechanic on stuff like Caterpillar & Liebherr) Mining Engineers, Geologists, Industrial Grade Electricians, Quantity Surveyors .
    I have a Law Degree, from University College Dublin, but that's not a skilled trade or profession as such. They mention "Barrister" and "Solicitor" in their Skilled Occupation List.

I mean, I have Third Level Education. Isn't that enough to get in??
    A Degree on its own is a piece of paper, that's not enough for the skills assessment without relevant experience.

You need an occupation that on the Skilled Occupation List, 3 years post Grad experience and have worked full time in that profession for 12 Months out of the last 24.

65 points is the pass mark

A trade Qualification is worth 10 points
    A bachelor Degree or Master degree is worth 15 points
    a PhD is worth 20 points

When they say "Nominate A Skilled Occupation"- does this mean one that you have to be working at the time?? Fully qualified, or just something you could realistically secure employment in??

As above an occupation that you can attain a skills assessment, and have worked 12 out of the last 24 months in that exact occupation.

I just took the points test at this site/link:http://www.visabureau.com/australia/new-points-test.aspx#regionalsponsorship and I "passed", having answered the questions as honestly as possible, it said I was eligible for 176 State and 475 State Visas.

That's an agency trying to sell their services.

Try the official www.immi.gov.au website

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm

*Note the 175 & 176 is being phased out 1st July and replaced with Skill select 189, 190 & 489 visa

I read today that there is a labour shortage in Australia in the mines, and that they take on people with no experience and train them up.

That's not true, Australia has not got a labour shortage it has a Skills & Profession shortage in certain industries. There is a massive difference.

Perth WA is full of Irish lads dreaming of getting into the mines, most don't even have the credentials to secure a job cleaning toilets o a mine site.

Mining is extremely hard industry to get into there are more than enough Australian & Kiwis to do the general labour but a shortage in white collar Mining Engineers and Heavy industrial tradespeople.

They do sponsor a few people from Ireland who have the above skills, some people get in because the know people inside the industry. Most are already Permanent residents which is half the battle.

Even if you are Trade skilled the mobilisation costs of medicals, Induction & Training Tickets are $10,000-$18000 to get you on-site. That a big investment in someone and they expect you to hit the ground running.

Its big money involved starting at $120K-$160K so its a bit of holy grail, if its as easy as just training people up then there would not be a shortage.

as far as skilled visas go less than 3000 Irish people a year qualify for Emigration. see attached.

Also Australia is going to Skill select on 1st July which means you register your interest in skilled Migration/Sponsorship and put all your details on an online system and this works out your points. Each occupation on the SOL has a pre-determined number of of places allocated. The pass mark is still 65 points but if there are say 500 Engineers are allocated and 2000 Engineers actual register interest in migration then the top 500 with the most points are invited to apply. If you don't get invited you can't apply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement