Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking a lease

• 10-05-2012 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi currently after finishing my first year in Uni and along with two of my friends we signed a year long lease in September.We want to break the lease and forfeit our deposit.We let the landlord know during April that we intended on moving out at the end of April.However we have been pestered over the last few days with calls and texts from the landlord saying that we have signed a lease and therefore can't break it?Is this true?We have also debated paying May's rent and let the deposit cover June's rent leaving him with two months rent,however we are afraid he may do the same all over again.Is there any way we could get out of our lease or are we stuck in it for the 12 months,we do not want our deposit back.Thanks in advance for all your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

See can you get someone to take over the lease. Leaving the landlord happy and you with your deposit back.
    Not sue how legal the lease is but if it is you owe until the end of it. He could come looking for it through the small claims court or something like that but I doubt he'd bother.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

We don't do advice, and particularly on something that specific.

Read the lease.

The PRTB is your next port of call for information.

Advertisement