Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you an odd teenager?

• 10-05-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Just got thinking there about things I did as a teenager that quite frankly looking back on were just plain weird:

• When I was 13 or so I used to secretly collect tennis balls. What makes it stranger is that I had no interest in tennis and I never even played the sport. I'd keep them in shoe boxes under my bed and take them out every now and then just to look at them. Any tennis balls that came over the wall into the back garden I'd add to my collection, instead of throwing them back to the neighbours. My sister did actually play tennis, but I never let her play with my balls.

• When I was a bit older, I got into playing Japanese RPGs on my Playstation. Normal enough so far, but if I was left alone in the house, I would on occasion dabble in cosplay. I can remember at least one time, where I put on my sister's jewellery, tank top and tennis skirt, grabbed a plastic sword from Hallowe'en and basically ran around the house imagining I was a Japanese princess casting spells on my enemies. (I'm cringing just thinking about this :o )
    • Not me, but my brother when he was 16 or so would constantly wear a towel around his neck like a scarf. No matter where he went, or whatever the weather, he took his towel with him. He kept this up for about a year.

So, over to you folks. Were you a bit of a weirdo as a teenager? Did you have any strange hobbies or things you would do? Any odd things you did in secret? Tell us your stories.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

and this... makes me look fookin normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

All teenagers are odd. If they are normal that's odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

• Not me, but my brother when he was 16 or so would constantly wear a towel around his neck like a scarf. No matter where he went, or whatever the weather, he took his towel with him. He kept this up for about a year.

Don't forget to bring a towel. That's what Towelie says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

And now your a random drunk...

yea I was weird too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

My sister did actually play tennis, but I never let her play with my balls.

I guess I'm not odd so. I did let my sister play with my balls.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

[/LIST]

Thank god for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i really was weird.........funny, i thought it was everybody else that was......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

JMy sister did actually play tennis, but I never let her play with my balls.
    Sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

*snigger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Just got thinking there about things I did as a teenager that quite frankly looking back on were just plain weird:

• When I was 13 or so I used to secretly collect tennis balls. What makes it stranger is that I had no interest in tennis and I never even played the sport. I'd keep them in shoe boxes under my bed and take them out every now and then just to look at them. Any tennis balls that came over the wall into the back garden I'd add to my collection, instead of throwing them back to the neighbours. My sister did actually play tennis, but I never let her play with my balls.

• When I was a bit older, I got into playing Japanese RPGs on my Playstation. Normal enough so far, but if I was left alone in the house, I would on occasion dabble in cosplay. I can remember at least one time, where I put on my sister's jewellery, tank top and tennis skirt, grabbed a plastic sword from Hallowe'en and basically ran around the house imagining I was a Japanese princess casting spells on my enemies. (I'm cringing just thinking about this :o )

So, over to you folks. Were you a bit of a weirdo as a teenager? Did you have any strange hobbies or things you would do? Any odd things you did in secret? Tell us your stories.

is that new word for ****

• Advertisement

I used to think that if a boy I kissed didn't feel me up or down, it meant he didn't like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Where do I begin? At the tender age of 13, I would cry if my iceream melted before I got it eaten. 14 - 16, I got up at 6:00am every morning to watch cartoons. 10 - 15, I be collected form school to go home and use the toilet at home, (as the ladies toilet at school was blocked) I thought Id catch a STD. 10 - 17 Id go cloths shopping with mammy, she would check that everything mached ect. Thats about it.

Where do I begin? At the tender age of 13, I would cry if my iceream melted before I got it eaten. 14 - 16, I got up at 6:00am every morning to watch cartoons. 10 - 15, I be collected form school to go home and use the toilet at home, (as the ladies toilet at school was blocked) I thought Id catch a STD. 10 - 17 Id go cloths shopping with mammy, she would check that everything mached ect. Thats about it.

I think you're my brother?

hcass wrote: »
    I think you're my brother?

Sister, from another mister???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Remember f~k all about being a teenager

Sister, from another mister???? :eek:

Did you buy your little brother a GI Joe Tank with your conformation money just so you'd get to play it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

NothingMan wrote: »
    I guess I'm not odd so. I did let my sister play with my balls.....
    Thank god for that.
    Sure...
    KeithM89 wrote: »
    *snigger*

I was wondering who'd be first to pick up on the balls thing :D

Did you buy your little brother a GI Joe Tank with your conformation money just so you'd get to play it?

Yes, I also got a iceream that summers day. It melted before I got it eaten. :(

Yes, I also got a iceream that summers day. It melted before I got it eaten. :(

you must have a mouth like a cat's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

I never did a sh*t in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I was an odd teenager and I'm still odd now

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

conor360 wrote: »
    I never did a sh*t in the toilets in school.
    Hey, Sh!tbreak! You little fu.cker! HA!

I'd have a smoke in the jacks to act like a cool dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Same as. We were only given two sheets bog roll going for number two:mad:

I was too full of sh1t for that.

I used to write fiction non stop until I was 18! Even when I was in school I was thinking about my characters and developing plots for them.

I had a pony, I used to ride him out on a 7 mile round trip from my house, up the hills and home, and on the way, used to sing him every single Oasis song I knew, and also tell him the background to the song and which single it came from, and which track number. (It was a lot harder to find bootlegs then, we didn't have interwebs!) I'm surprised he never bucked me off and legged it home without me. And in 1996, I knew every song they'd written to date.

Then I used to come home and when I wasn't writing fiction, I wrote out song lyrics. Oasis, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, wrote out song lyrics over and over.

I also used to like to read the dictionary, and write interesting words into a notebook. That tied in with my fiction writing.

Then I started painting murals on my bedroom walls. I am not a great artist, so I used to take a small image (my best was a 4cmx2cm deaths head moth off the front of my Silence of the Lambs novel) and paint them in large scale on my walls. My parents were not amused, but they let me, cause they knew I was an oddball and could get up to all sorts of sh1t if I wasn't in my room on a ladder painting on my walls.

Later (around 18) I started to spray paint tshirts, working for hours on stencils with basic tools then taping them to the garage floor and letting loose with the spray paint.

I was a bit of a loner, but damn I got loads done.

Tbh, I was never keen on doing a Ian Wright in the school jacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I didn't really drink till the age of 17 :eek: And I didn't really proper go mad till I was 21!

Yeah I was an odd teenager, but sure I'm an odd adult too. Can't say I was very happy, but sure tis over now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Neither did I, made up for it in when I started working though.

:)

Odd is a state of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I guess you could say i was always pushing away from being normal ;)

I don't know if I am odd, but definitely weird haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I used write invisible letters on the wall with a broken pencil. I also used pretend to be a radio dj and record my own voice overs.. That was fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'd have a smoke in the jacks to act like a cool dude.

I brought a litre of vodka into school in 3rd year (I think I was 14) and about 5 of us got totally pissed.
    Thank god for sports days!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Eh no!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I got caught on the hop by two ban-gardai.

They were ok with me once I pulled up my pants and stopped squatting.

Human turds are rarely nice outdoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I played with my sister's balls. Weird enough for ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

was your brother a fan of Douglas Adams book Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

Always carry a towel with you:
    ... a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

fonda wrote: »
    Eh no!

eh yes! Nothing weird about playing video games, buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kinda. I always fucking detested festivals even when I was a a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

cocoshovel wrote: »
    eh yes! Nothing weird about playing video games, buddy!

I agree

It was more the japanese RPG I was on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

But But But...Final Fantasy 7:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

In played a huge amount of video games.

Final Fantasy 8 & 7 were easily my favourites.

I also didn't drink regularly until I was 19, then again not many of my friends did.

I also collected used batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I was very odd indeed, but most people are aren't they :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I used to think that if a boy I kissed didn't feel me up or down, it meant he didn't like me.

It did then, and it still does!
    I didn't really drink till the age of 17 :eek: And I didn't really proper go mad till I was 21!

Yeah I was an odd teenager, but sure I'm an odd adult too. Can't say I was very happy, but sure tis over now!

Same here, had a drink here or there but nothing too much till i hit college. Then i turned into Charlie Sheen for about 15 years, now i've changed back again! I was an odd teenager and truth be told i'm probably an odd adult. I'm very easily amused even now, but i wouldn't have it any other way - it wrecks my head now when my kids moan about being bored, or that there is nothing to do, there is always something to do, you're just not fúcking doing it!!
    I was happy enough as a teenager, not moody or depressed or anything (i think that stems from being easily amused to be honest!). I'm happy enough now too - yay me!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

eth0 wrote: »
    Don't forget to bring a towel. That's what Towelie says

wanna get high? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I am currently an odd teenager.

you must have a mouth like a cat's arse.

Naw, I just eat very slow.

Anywho I dont think im your brother. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

All teenagers are odd. If they are normal that's odd.

Some teenagers are even. 14,16 and 18 year olds are even.
    13,15,17,19 year olds are odd. The odds outnumber the evens although both 18 and 19 year olds are in the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 trollymctroll

I used to try and shag my cat but realised my cock wouldnt fit so I rode the dog instead

Standard teenage behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

fonda wrote: »
    I agree

It was more the japanese RPG I was on about!

Video games are still just video games to me regardless of where they're from/what genre they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

I never drank....18 now and still don't :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement