Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of doing a CELTA

• 10-05-2012 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are giving serious consideration to doing a Celta course.

We've looked at the Dublin/Cork schools here and figured that the costs for the overall duration of the course would work out about €1000 more expensive per person than if we took the course over in Krakow. We've been to Krakow twice before so we know how much accommodation/food costs there.

Has anyone taking the celta course over there which is under the British council?

We've done a lot of researching about the celta course and understand how difficult and demanding it will be for the duration.

I've read somewhere online that there are a few recommended books that potential trainee's should have a read over prior to starting the course. Does anyone know the names of these books?

I presume the recommended books would be the same for all schools throughout the world since its a Cambridge standard Celta course?

Any other advice/information about anything pertaining to celta that you may have, then please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

Yes, I did it in Kraków and I love love loved every second of it! Everyone on my course did. It's a beautiful city, beautiful location in the main square and worth every penny in my opinion. I learned an invaluable amount just by observing how they taught us as a class and all their little tricks of the trade. Honestly, I still remember every single thing they taught me and I would not have been able to teach without having first had them as mentors.

They recommend reading English Grammar in Use - Ray Murphy, Teaching English Grammar- Jim Scrivener, and Learning Teaching- Jim Scrivener. My recommendation would be to pick up a book that deals with the main principles of teaching TEFL as your ability to teach effectively is what a lot of the grading seems to be based on. Brushing up on grammar certainly won't hurt, but they will tell you what grammar points you are to teach in each lesson and they will support you with the lesson planning.

It is incredibly demanding, and incredibly fun in equal measures. The trick I feel is not to take it too seriously. That was my mistake and I was sorely disappointed at the end, whereas my class mates took a far more relaxed approach and did very well. It's important to blow of steam in the cosy bars and have a lot of fun with your classmates outside of the training.

All in all, totally worth it. Any more questions feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thanks for the reply.

One area which we're not too informed in, is the possibility of getting a TEFL job offer without holding a degree? My g.f doesn't have a degree whereas I do.

This ultimately would be a deal breaker for us taking the CELTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Thanks for the reply.

One area which we're not too informed in, is the possibility of getting a TEFL job offer without holding a degree? My g.f doesn't have a degree whereas I do.

This ultimately would be a deal breaker for us taking the CELTA.

Don't worry about that, go to Krakow or Prague and do it and within a month you will have a new girlfriend.

Only joking.

not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

Do you know which area you want to travel to?

I guess a lot depends on how aggressive you want to be with the job search. With your degree you'll get a job no problem, which means you can build contacts and get your girlfriend into jobs via word of mouth. There are always the slightly dodgy schools who will pay cash in hand.

If it's Asia you're thinking of, then I'm pretty certain a degree is needed, however, my degree qualified friend moved to the UAE to work for a company who never even asked to see proof of her qualifications.

I'm looking into doing a level 7 Train the Trainer in NUI Galway. It doesn't last too long and it seems to give me the qualification to work for an ACELS recognised school in Ireland...which makes me wonder, are other countries looking for a degree? or just the recognised award on the NFQ? maybe someone else in here knows?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Are there many job prospects in Ireland for someone with a degree and a TEFL (ACELS for example) qualification or are most people doing such courses to work abroad?

Are there many TEFL courses being offered in other countries? It would be great to learn another European language, for example as well as getting your TEFL qualification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement