Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of date mayonaise

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I bought a jar of mayonaise in a local shop the other day, came home made a sambo. That night I was up all night with cramps in my stomach and diarohea.
    Discovered the next morninh the the jar I bought from the shop had expired in Feb, I went to the doctor to seek help about the stomach cramps and had to pay for it myself.
    Is there anyway that I can get the shop to pay for my doctors bill ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

i don't think you'd have a case against the retailer, other than get the jar replaced with an in date one.

and it's unlikely that you got that ill because of mayo a few months past its sell by date. best before dates on products like mayo will be long before when it's actually harmful to eat. could it have been something else you ate made you ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You'd have to get proof that you firstly had food poisoning, i.e. stool analysis or the like. Then you'd have to get the jar analysed to show that it was the root cause.

Your best bet is to back to the shop with the jar and let them know that they have out of data merchandise on their shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you want some 'revenge' get in contact with http://www.fsai.ie/ (or who ever it is that deals with it at retail level). The fines are huge! IIRC it's around €1000 per item they find - or at least that's what we where told it was for our fridges when I worked for a certain coffee shop.

That said the nicer thing to do would be to contact the retailer - depends what type of mood you're in and whether you think it was a one off accident.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Mayonaise is made with RAW egg-yolks or do they do it differently these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It is, but they are pasteurised. It's homemade you have to look out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

If egg yolk is used it is pasteurized first.

paddyandy wrote: »
    Mayonaise is made with RAW egg-yolks or do they do it differently these days ?

Fresh mayonnaise is. Mayonnaise in a jar on a shelf is processed and pasteurised, there is nothing raw about it.

As dudara said, you would have to proove that the mayonnaise was the cause of your illness.

There is an awful bug going around OP so could just have been that. How long was it between eating the mayo and getting sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Joekers

Cheers for the replys, not gona take it any further with the shop as it is my local. As some of you said there is no way I could prove that the mayonaise was the item that caused my illness, it coulda bein anything I ate that day its just once I seen jar was out of date I put 2 and 2 together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I suggest that you take it just a step further: tell them. You should get a replacement jar of mayonnaise, and they might sharpen up their practices.

Personally, I use out-of-date mayonnaise with no qualms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

If your not getting the replacement you should still inform the shop that you bought an out of date or end of shelf life item so they can replace any others that might have a similar date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Inform the shop. One would imagine that when taking stuff off the shelf in the shop that you check the date and the same when you take it out of your fridge at home. I always do so I get a "long date" when I buy.

As a by the way, it is interesting to note how utterly dependent people have got on the food production chain. I know it's kind of obvious but there's no way that you can guarantee 100% reliability i.e a stone will never or that a shelf life date will be exceeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If it was my shop, I would really appreciate it if you told me. Not everyone would be as reasonable as you. The next person could be a complete ejit.

(Off to check MY mayo now:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I experienced the same symptoms a few weeks ago, had a horrible sleepless night with cramps and diarrhoea, symptoms didn't subside until next afternoon so missed a day off work.

I initially blamed it on food poisoning after eating some pasta and canned tuna, but all ingredients were well in date and the tuna was freshly opened. It was only until a few days later that I found out some friends had the same before me so it must have been an infection of some kind.

Guess you got the same bug too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I heard it was invented by a mayo man in the usa a long time ago but im hazy on the story .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Joekers wrote: »
    Cheers for the replys, not gona take it any further with the shop as it is my local. As some of you said there is no way I could prove that the mayonaise was the item that caused my illness, it coulda bein anything I ate that day its just once I seen jar was out of date I put 2 and 2 together.

Contact the manufacturer of the Mayonaise and you might get some vouchers as a goodwill gesture but I would also tell your local shop that the items are out of date as sometimes with staff shortages and other factors it can be almost impossible for some shops like londis etc with large numbers of products to ensure tha proper rotation of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Joekers

Went into the shop yesterday and informed them, they were very sorry about what had happened and offered me a refund or another jar of mayo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I had a bad case of the trots this morning and had some mayo in my tuna sandwiches for lunch yesterday. wonder if it is related.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

food poisoning is different to bug: you generally feel unwell very shortly after eating the culprit food, it is very, very violent and only lasts 24h. A bug will make you queasy for a few days, but it is not as strong

I had both several times, I can instantly recognize them. That doesn't stop me eating out of date food, though :D

Advertisement