Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC for X Plane 10 and FSX

Options
  • 10-05-2012 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

RHJ wrote: »

You haven't got any hard drives or operating system, and your budget is almost spent. I'd swap the motherboard and processor for an i5/z77 and throw the saved cash at a Track IR, decent joystick setup, and an SSD myself. The head tracking is amazing, and well worth it if flight sims are your main interest.
    If you do get that CPU, don't forget to order a cooler, as it doesn't come with one as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

Intel Core i7-3930K Retail, ohne Kühler, LGA2011
    "ohne kuhler" = no cooler.

Missed the hard drive! "ohne Kühler " means without cooler though, I don't think you can buy a 3930k with one. Even if you could, you'd be mental to run a €500 unlocked CPU on stock cooling, the only reason to buy one is to overclock the balls off it.

It's your money so spend it how you want, but I really think you'd be much better off dropping down to a something like a 2500k or 3570k, and a higher end z77 or z68 motherboard, rather than a crazy high end CPU, and a motherboard from the low end of the LGA2011 lineup. The motherboard you've got there is fine, but it's over €200, a z77 board in that price range will have much more in the way of features, like built in bluetooth/wifi for instance. A decent joystick/throttle and a track IR will make much more difference than going from a 2500k/3570k to a 3930k.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Really don't think an socket 2011 processor is needed, drop back to a z77/3570k. Also the heatspreaders on that ram is way to big and will get in the way of a cooler. get the low profile version of it. Spend the money saved on a decent good monitor and ssd or a second gpu.

• Advertisement

Looks all good. If you wanted to save 100 euro there's no need for a 256gb ssd. All you really put on it is windows and your most used programs so a 128gb would do.

The cooler from daz801's post will fit fine, and is a very good performer. The H70 should fit your case, but it won't perform any better than a decent air cooler. The GTX 670 is well worth a look though. It just got released today but reviews say its as good as or better than the 7970 and a little bit cheaper.

Yep, EVGA are a good brand, and that particular card is overclocked out of the box, so it should be a great performer.

I ordered my build last Wednesday, and paid by bank transfer. I did the transfer late on Wednesday afternoon, they got the money on Monday morning and shipped out the same day.

My case arrived this morning, and because of a minor screw up by An Post, the rest of my stuff won't be here until tomorrow morning. I don't think they take paypal, but honestly the bank transfer is quick and easy, don't be put off by it. If you ask in the bank they will give you the forms to fill in, or I think you can use a Laser card to do it at a special machine. Theres a place in the form for an invoice number, just use the order number HWVS email you. They'll email you all the bank details a few minutes after you order. Print it off and take it to the bank with you.

Heres the timeline from my hwvs profile page:
    2012-5-02 at 15:55	Online-Order
    2012-5-07 at 09:34	The goods are ready for collection or assembling.
    2012-5-07 at 11:38	The invoice was made.
    2012-5-07 at 14:28	The goods were dispatched. - 3 package(s).

There's very little difference between the 3570k and 2500k, either will perform fine. I went for the 3570k myself, but you won't regret buying a 2500k, it's still a great chip.

If you buy the tray version of the 3570k its only €12 more expensive than the 2500k though, and you won't need the stock cooler if you're buying an aftermarket one. It also uses a bit less power which is always handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

They charge you 3% extra for paypal.

The 670. Slightly cheaper, and faster.

You can overclock the 670 too you know! It depends on the individual game, but take a look at the charts here. The 670 is either within a frame or two of the 7970 or faster, sometimes much faster.

From the last page of that review:
    Depending on the game and resolution we’re looking at the GTX 670 reaches anywhere between 80% and 120% of the 7970’s performance. AMD sails by the GTX 670 in Crysis and to a lesser extent Metro, only for the GTX 670 to shoot ahead in BF3 and Portal 2

The price difference makes the 670 a far better buy imho.

Advertisement