Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas smell when reversing ??!!

• 10-05-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

OK, this is a weird one - and I could be off the mark - but a couple of times now I've gotten a smell of gas when maneuvering the motorhome. Has only happened a few times, the vast majority of the time there's no smell at all - and I've been using it for cooking/heating plenty, so I'm not at all convinced there's a leak. And I think I've narrowed it down further - that I get the smell when I'm reversing into a parking space.
    Got a new propane tank and a new hose between the tank & regulator recently - and I've experienced this smell for both setups, so don't think its to do with either of these.
    Is it possible this smell isn't related to the on-board propane at all, and is to do with the engine mechanics of the vehicle?
    Have a carbon monoxide alarm to be safe.
    Again, I could be totally wrong on this - but it does seem specific to when I'm reversing
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

How old is the Van? does it have a CAT? these can give a horrible gassy smell when in reverse.

P.S. A carbon monoxide alarm will not detect gas leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enola79

not exactly sure about CAT, but mh is 2004, so i'd imagine it has one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

would it be possible you slip the clutch a bit when reversing, the smell could be from the clutch burning?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

enola79 wrote: »
    not exactly sure about CAT, but mh is 2004, so i'd imagine it has one

It has a CAT, I would assume that is what the smell is, as it depends what direction the wind is blowing whether you smell it or not. Only one way to find out for sure though, get someone qualified to check for gas leaks. Or switch your gas off, and reverse a number of times and see if you can still smell it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Do you drive with your gas turned on? I don't, always turn it off at the bottle before driving and before sleeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

2 stroke wrote: »
    Do you drive with your gas turned on? I don't, always turn it off at the bottle before driving and before sleeping.

How do you keep the beer/wine cool when you turn off the engine (the fridge needs gas once the engine stops) and yourself warm on cold nights :)

sounds like it could be the CAT alright. Never have gas on unless I'm using it - never drive with it on.
    Thanks a mil for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Is it a brake, clutch type smell or a rotten egg smell. If the rear brake shoes are out of adjustment they can be loose enough to lockup in reverse.

You're not buying discount diesel are you? There lots of laundered diesel around still thats processed using waste industrial acids and other such muck. Also it could be produced from marine gas oil that has 100 times as much sulphur in it this could account for high levels of hydrogen sulphide in the exhaust.

kinda rotten egg smell I guess - smells like regular gas.
    Only buy from garage's - but who's to say none of them take dodgy stuff?!

Advertisement