Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI's swapping of narrative fields on Credit transfers

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭

Since the dawn of computerised transfers BOI has swapped the two narrative fields on Credit (99 Giro) Transfers.

While this 'feature' is ingrained into BOI systems and is unlightly to be changed, is it possible to get both narratives fields displayed on internet banking and/or printed statements?

This would save BOIs staff countless time and effort (cost) in answering queries from customers.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Tow,

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by Credit (99 Giro) Transfers. Can you please give me some more detail?

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

Can you please give me some more detail?

Transaction code '99' is an 'Inter Bank Credit' which is the transaction code normally used when transferring money electronically into (crediting) bank accounts.

When BOI receives a record with a transaction code of '99' the two narrative fields 'User’s Name' and 'User’s Reference No' are swapped. BOI is the only bank to do this and have always done so. Many systems making payments (Tx Code 99) to BOI accounts reverse the two fields automatically or place both their Name and Reference in both fields, the net result is their payments can be identified. However, a large number do not and as BOI only displays the 'User’s Reference No', (in many cases is meaningless string of numbers and/or letters) payments cannot be easily identified.

If you can have a look at BOI's document "Business On Line EFT Import File Specification: ROI", section 4. Data Record, you will see descriptions of the fields and foot notes on the bottom of the page explaining how BOI displays the fields on statements.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Thanks Tow,

I'll check into it and get back to you as soon as I have any information.

Graham

Thanks for your patience Tow,

Unfortunately on our printed statements and internet banking services it's only possible to display one narrative field. I've passed your feedback onto the relevant department for consideration in any future plans. In the meantime, our staff are always happy to help with providing any extra information you need on specific transactions when you drop in or call.

If there's anything else I can help you with just ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Advertisement