Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not sure if it is a plant

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I am trying to take a ceiling back to its former glory days, my problem is that there is a plant at both ends of the ceiling which I can not identify,

I have tried to find it online but no success, this is why I am thinking it might not be a plant, I would need to transfer pictures from my email to here and was wondering would this be ok?

if it is possible to find the plan then I can pick out the different colours in it, also there is a laurel type wreath in the centre of the ceiling with berries on it but once again I am not sure what this is,

thank you for your help in advance I will post pictures once I get the clearance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hi folks I am trying to take a ceiling back to its former glory days, my problem is that there is a plant at both ends of the ceiling which I can not identify,

I have tried to find it online but no success, this is why I am thinking it might not be a plant, I would need to transfer pictures from my email to here and was wondering would this be ok?

if it is possible to find the plan then I can pick out the different colours in it, also there is a laurel type wreath in the centre of the ceiling with berries on it but once again I am not sure what this is,

thank you for your help in advance I will post pictures once I get the clearance

Sorry but i have no idea what you're talking about..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Degsy wrote: »
    Sorry but i have no idea what you're talking about..
    I think the OP means that there's a plaster ceiling with what appears to be plaster plants decorating it, but they don't know if they're real plants or artist's imaginings.

A photo would be great, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

LMAO I thought it was growing up to the ceiling. DIY query??:)

Probably some stylised flower or leaf rather than a botanically accurate representation of a plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Hi folks, thank you for the replies, looking at my original post I can see why the confusion, I just hope the picture quality is good enough

the ceiling is 16ft high, but if any of you guys think it is worth it, I can set up a scaffold to try to get a closer shot, I think my problem is I am looking down on the ceiling not up at it, hence my thinking the plant might be a from a pond or lake.

photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The smaller one is an acanthus, its a plant used for classical leaves for centuries. Having the flower head is a bit unusual. Search for acanthus in google images and you will see lots of both natural flowers and images of carving and plasterwork similar to yours.

I think the centre one is a laurel wreath, though an unusually big one.

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I would be a bit careful about painting them without a bit of research on conventions of painting plasterwork, you would probably want to consider the colours to be used in the rest of the room. Also the colour palette that you use would probably be a soft range of colours, with possibly gold. Some plasterwork is vividly coloured, but usually with pictures rather than just the relief work. Might be interesting to see if there was a picture under the white paint of that centrepiece, its a very large circle to be left clear in the middle.

I really think you should be in the Art and Architecture forum, maybe you could ask the mod to move this thread there?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    The smaller one is an acanthus, its a plant used for classical leaves for centuries. Having the flower head is a bit unusual. Search for acanthus in google images and you will see lots of both natural flowers and images of carving and plasterwork similar to yours.

I think the centre one is a laurel wreath, though an unusually big one.

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I would be a bit careful about painting them without a bit of research on conventions of painting plasterwork, you would probably want to consider the colours to be used in the rest of the room. Also the colour palette that you use would probably be a soft range of colours, with possibly gold. Some plasterwork is vividly coloured, but usually with pictures rather than just the relief work. Might be interesting to see if there was a picture under the white paint of that centrepiece, its a very large circle to be left clear in the middle.

I really think you should be in the Art and Architecture forum, maybe you could ask the mod to move this thread there?

Thank you very much for the above information, and yes I think your advice on moving it would be correct.

Do I need to PM the mod in charge of this forum to get this thread moved?

Advertisement