Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't stay asleep - anyone else?

Options
  • 10-05-2012 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Long story short, years ago I couldn't be dragged out of the bed in the morrning afternoon. Could sleep all morning.

Now, at 34, I haven't been woken by my alarm clock in more than a year. I wake usually at around 6am, sometimes even 4 or 5, but then the anxious feeling that I won't be able to get back to sleep, means I'm too stressed to get back to sleep so I have to go to work with sometimes only 3 hours sleep. The best I get on a good night now is 5.5 hours.

It's affected my work at times. I'm literally so bleary eyed it's like I'm drunk. Anyone else experience this and maybe have some tips?

(By the way, sometimes when I wake it's because I have to go to the toilet, so I stopped drinking anything for HOURS before bedtime but I'd still wake with a need to go). However, this doesn't always be the reason I wake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

This happens me when i'm working, but a lot of times i fall back to sleep just before i'm due to get up and then find it really really hard to wake to go to work.

Did you ever suffer from depression.
    A symptom can be finding it impossible to wake /get up in the mornings, like you said you used to be.

And another symptom is early morning waking, like 4 am/5am.

I have found no cure for waking early before work. It drives me mad because as you say I am wrecked tired then during the day.

I dont get up when i wake as i think at least my body /brain is getting that extra rest if not sleep.

I try not to go to bed too early, and also stopped drinking late at night so i wouldnt need to wake to go to the loo.

Do you maybe have worries that you could talk to someone about that keep you awake?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

Darn...just wrote a longish reply but deleted it so heres a quick reply.

Same here, though often times i do fall back into a heavy sleep just before i'm due to get up.

I tend to stay in bed and not get up when i wake early as i think at least my brain and body are getting rest.

Do you have worries that keep you awake?

Also btw syptoms of depression can be an inability to wake/get up in the mornings, the way you used to be?
    And 'early morning waking' like you are now.
    Have you ever looked in to this?

Also i try not to go to bed too early and like you try not to drink anythig too late at night. Doesnt really seem to work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I listen to podcasts when I'm going to sleep, and if I wake up, I'll put it on again. Find it takes my mind off trying to get to sleep and I drift off easily enough. If you have an iPhone, there's a great app called 'Downcast' for downloading & playing podcasts, has a sleep timer as well.

Advertisement