Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adebayor - Yes or No

Options
  • 10-05-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

What do you think lads ? Sign him or not ?
    He has been unplayable at times, and shocking at times.
    16 league goals is a fine return, but he should really have 20+ when you think of the chances that have been created for him.

Would you break the bank for him ? I don't think I would to be honest. I'd bid 8/9m and if accepted, offer him 70k (he'll probably fall around laughing), if they want 15/16m, and he wants 130k a week, the can jog on.

http://tottenhamlive.com/blog/459-adebayor-bewitched-bothered-bewildered.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Offer him a 2 year deal at 80k per week. He has a habit of not breaking his back when he's on a long contract, hence he always plays well when on loan or at the start of a new club career.

He has certainly improved us however, nobody can deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

sign him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think we have to make him an offer anyway. Nobody in the world is gonna pay him anthing like what City paid him, once that contract ends, I hope he knows that. When does his contract end?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

£10m and not a penny above £75k a week. He has been great at times but very frustrating.

If he wants more then that he can feck off to Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

8m and 80k a week for a 2-3 year contract ... no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hatch99 wrote: »
    What do you think lads ? Sign him or not ?
    He has been unplayable at times, and shocking at times.
    16 league goals is a fine return, but he should really have 20+ when you think of the chances that have been created for him.

Would you break the bank for him ? I don't think I would to be honest. I'd bid 8/9m and if accepted, offer him 70k (he'll probably fall around laughing), if they want 15/16m, and he wants 130k a week, the can jog on.

Anything over those figures is crazy talk. Your right, he should of scored more, a lot more. From his goals tally I can’t remember him scoring any from outside the box, therefore he’s one dimensional.

At Arsenal he was a real force. I don’t know what I was expecting, but he hasn’t lived up to my estimation. I’m probably the only one on here, but I don't get excited watching him, I think he’s mediocre. Tottneham have been fortunate to acquire some talented strikers over the years, he isn't one of them.

If were only playing one up front then he wouldn’t be my first choice, bench warmer. Chap has bags of ability but for me falls over too easily, rarely wins a 50/50, no pace, powder puff shot, yada, yada. He runs around a lot, big fúcking deal? For the moneys he’s on he should be covering every blade of grass.

Levy needs to open up the purse strings and buy in a superstar striker. I was drooling watching Falcao playing for Atletico last night.

If we could guarantee 20 plus goals a season from a striker with a few minor alterations to the side, then we should be qualifying for CL every season. Arsenal without RVP this season would have been mid-table at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    If were only playing one up front then he wouldn’t be my first choice, bench warmer. Chap has bags of ability but for me falls over too easily, rarely wins a 50/50, no pace, powder puff shot, yada, yada. He runs around a lot, big fúcking deal? For the moneys he’s on he should be covering every blade of grass.

I think this is way too harsh. The difference between having Crouch up top and Adebayor up top is unreal. The ball sticks to Adebayor and we maintain possession, hence our high possession stats throughout the season. Having a striker with the ability to hold up the ball is what Bale and Lennon live for. There's no way we'd be competing for the title at the turn of the year if Crouch or Pavlyuchenko had been playing alone up top.

I completely agree that Adebayor is frustrating, but who hasn't been this year. Bale won't stick out to the left. VDV picks up the ball far too deep. Modric doesn't score enough. Defoe shoots regardless of what's around him.

I'd agree with offering Adebayor a two year contract. There's no point going over-board with the wages because we don't know what we'll get out of him next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    I think we have to make him an offer anyway. Nobody in the world is gonna pay him anthing like what City paid him, once that contract ends, I hope he knows that. When does his contract end?

PSG could offer savage money

I think this is way too harsh. The difference between having Crouch up top and Adebayor up top is unreal. The ball sticks to Adebayor and we maintain possession, hence our high possession stats throughout the season. Having a striker with the ability to hold up the ball is what Bale and Lennon live for. There's no way we'd be competing for the title at the turn of the year if Crouch or Pavlyuchenko had been playing alone up top.

I completely agree that Adebayor is frustrating, but who hasn't been this year. Bale won't stick out to the left. VDV picks up the ball far too deep. Modric doesn't score enough. Defoe shoots regardless of what's around him.

I'd agree with offering Adebayor a two year contract. There's no point going over-board with the wages because we don't know what we'll get out of him next season.

spot on, i think if crouch was up top on his own this season, we'd be pulling our hair out, major difference between the 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sign him up, as long as signing him doesn't stop us from signing an out and out goalscorer as well. That's what we've needed for a while now. It's frustrating seeing Ade at the edge of the box, not willing to take a shot. He does hold the ball up well, and works really hard in most matches. Was a great signing for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

No for me.

a) If we keep Adebayor it would probably involve some kind of swap deal with City (e.g. they give us Ade and cash but they get Bale or Modric).

Adebayor is good but he's no van persie or rooney. I'd rather let him go back to City and keep Bale, Modric etc. even if it means giving them much better contract terms.

b) His current salary with City is reportedly £170K per week.

There's no way Levy would sanction £100K a week for him. Would Ade take a pay cut of 40% or more to stay at Spurs. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I'd say yes. 16 goals playing as a lone striker is a great return. We do however need another top class striker and it's time for Defoe to move on

Very well said. I think he plays the lone role very well, great link up man, between goals and assists he is one of the best in the league. He isn't perfect, but we are Spurs, not Barca. Falcao will not, I repeat not be joining Spurs this summer, so forget that.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    No for me.

a) If we keep Adebayor it would probably involve some kind of swap deal with City (e.g. they give us Ade and cash but they get Bale or Modric).

Adebayor is good but he's no van persie or rooney. I'd rather let him go back to City and keep Bale, Modric etc. even if it means giving them much better contract terms.

b) His current salary with City is reportedly £170K per week.

There's no way Levy would sanction £100K a week for him. Would Ade take a pay cut of 40% or more to stay at Spurs. I don't think so.

(a) I don't agree. There is no way we would swap Bale or Modders to get Adebayor. The only reason either of them will leave is if they want to leave. We will not be voluntarily letting them go.

(b) I don't know how much of a pay cut, if any, he would accept. Depends how long is left on his contract at City. I am fairly sure they won't be offering him another contract on the same terms, so it will come down to if any clubs wanna take him on on those wages. If not, then he has to take a wage cut and move to another club. I'd say he likes it at Spurs. Then again he probably likes money more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

ade is very very good at playing as the lone frontman. his performance away to chelsea was excellent (how many times have our strikers put in shocking bad performances in big away games i.e. defoe and pav)

I have an issue with him the way he never goes for a header though, with his height he should be winning every high ball but he often waits for the knock downs - this doesnt make sense to me .

he is a high calibre , high visibility player and i do like him, however 10 million plus 80k per week is as much as id offer.

We must understand that playing as the lone frontman is probably the hardest position in the team. He does it well. Its hard to find good front men who can play alone. They are worth their weight in gold when they do come along.

Berba was a master at it before his united demise, did berba ever score 16+ goals when he was at spurs playing as the lone front man?? and he was worshipped by the fans just because he had a few tricks up his sleeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

How many penalties has he scored, about 6? I'm sure vdv could of scored them, take them away and he has about 10 goals, not a great return.

Berbatov didn't have players like Bale, VDV, Modric, Parker or Sandro playing with him at spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Ade won't take the pay cut when he can get current salary at somewhere like PSG

What do people think about taking a punt on Berb? we would get him for fcuk all , i'd take him back.

Berba always played with a strike partner for Spurs, usually Keano. Spurs were strictly 4-4-2 in those days. He didn't have the work rate to play the lone role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Berba always played with a strike partner for Spurs, usually Keano. Spurs were strictly 4-4-2 in those days. He didn't have the work rate to play the lone role.

when he was in the shop window he played a few games as the lone man up front and did an excellent job. i remember one in an away match in the europa league, cant remember the opposition but everyone was raving about his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Don't know about that, I think the team was just shíte at the time. Mainly the midfield.

He held the line a few times on his own, I remember one game in particular against City where he was immense. Think we were down a man but won the game. He’s no pace, but is great at protecting the ball while waiting for support. No doubt he can hit a killer pass.

He didn’t get a look in this season at Utd, not even making the bench when they needed someone to step up. Obvioulsy there must have been a falling out with Ferguson, in fairness to him he kept his trap shut. He’s bloody agent was a focking nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Berba can **** right off...Berbatov too :P

Seriously though, i'd not take him back. He was great for us, but he's a lazy ****er and sulks way too much for my liking. We need to get a young(ish) striker who will take his chances. Not someone who can't even make the bench at Utd.

BERBA wrote: »
    What do people think about taking a punt on Berb? we would get him for fcuk all , i'd take him back.

No thanks, 30 plus, and looking for one final pay day, I'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

How many penalties has he scored, about 6? I'm sure vdv could of scored them, take them away and he has about 10 goals, not a great return.

Berbatov didn't have players like Bale, VDV, Modric, Parker or Sandro playing with him at spurs

3 I make it. Stoke, Arsenal & Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think the thing Levy and co need to ask is whether we could do better than Ade for the same money. He has scored a decent amount of goals and set up quite a lot too, but he has also missed a load and if he was more reliable he'd easily be into the 20's now. Having said that, he's played a huge part in where the team is this season and is so much better than Crouch.

I would like to keep him assuming the price & wages are ok but I would also like us to get Leandro, keep VDV and get rid of Saha. If we make the CL next season we'll need 4 decent strikers, though I don't know whether Defoe will hang around any more.

So my answer would be yes as long as we get someone equally good or better to play alongside him.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I think the thing Levy and co need to ask is whether we could do better than Ade for the same money. He has scored a decent amount of goals and set up quite a lot too, but he has also missed a load and if he was more reliable he'd easily be into the 20's now. Having said that, he's played a huge part in where the team is this season and is so much better than Crouch.

I would like to keep him assuming the price & wages are ok but I would also like us to get Leandro, keep VDV and get rid of Saha. If we make the CL next season we'll need 4 decent strikers, though I don't know whether Defoe will hang around any more.

So my answer would be yes as long as we get someone equally good or better to play alongside him.

I think Defoe is no use to us with our system. He is too small to play up front on his own, and even too small to make up a partnership with VdV. His link up play is pitiful, which means he can't bring our midfield into play. He is only useful in a 4-4-2 with a big man like Crouch or Ade. Even then he is too predictable, just shoots every time.

He would do very well with a Villa or Sunderland. Easily a 20 goal a season man.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

ok the way i see it is like this: if we were to sign ade and another top class striker it could potenially cause asome problems.

defoe and saha aren't getting a look in cause there not gud enough/given a chance and harry doesnt like to rotate. vdv sees himself as the star of the team and will feel he should always be starting. ade, because he's done well this season will expect to start most games too. if we were to sign another top striker, they will also expect to be starting. this will cause a dilema for harry who will hav to start rotating which we've seen that he doesnt like to do.

if one of these hits form, someone will be left on the bench and they wont be happy.

so i reckon its ade or another striker. although it might be better to hav 3 top options instead of two as other top clubs seem to be able to handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I would try to sign him, but don't break the bank for him, offer around 8/9 million tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

yes but a pay decrease is a must. for that wage we could/should get a more clinical striker

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

City have to sell some players. We can buy him in a straight deal. One thing to remember is Ade did score 20 goals in the league, 17 and three terrible offside decisons at stoke, at home to Chelsea, and Wolves. That would be at least five extra points by the way, probably seven, as I think we would have gone on to win at Stoke but for Foy, who was back at the Brittania relegating Bolton with more shocking decisions.
    20 goals hasn't been scored since Klinsmann I think, although the Keane/Defoe/Berbatov trio got 55 between them. I'd sign unless we are going all out. If Falcao is willing to sign for Atletico Madrid, who can't get into the CL, we can go up a notch. Is Daemiao still shaping up?

• Advertisement

City have to sell some players. We can buy him in a straight deal. One thing to remember is Ade did score 20 goals in the league, 17 and three terrible offside decisons at stoke, at home to Chelsea, and Wolves. That would be at least five extra points by the way, probably seven, as I think we would have gone on to win at Stoke but for Foy, who was back at the Brittania relegating Bolton with more shocking decisions.
    20 goals hasn't been scored since Klinsmann I think, although the Keane/Defoe/Berbatov trio got 55 between them. I'd sign unless we are going all out. If Falcao is willing to sign for Atletico Madrid, who can't get into the CL, we can go up a notch. Is Daemiao still shaping up?

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle ;)

Advertisement