Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newborn baby feared dead after Mother & Baby fall off Stena ship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This is some bad ****. Hope the child is okay, but I'm not holding out hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

sounds fishy to me.... who the hell takes a nine day old baby to the edge of a ferry at night... the baby would be frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

it's pretty hard to fall off a boat with a baby, 9 days old it is possible that it all seemed too much for the mother. Poor thing, I hope she recovers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Unfortunately it does smack of a suicide attempt (now a murder I guess).. I hope I'm wrong, but as someone else said, who in their right mind brings a newborn baby out onto the deck of a ship, at night, in that weather..

So so sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This woman has just lost her baby...I am not going to speculate what happened and I don't think its fair to make a judgement call before we know the facts.

Its such a horrible story, I doubt it will have a happy outcome. Its heartbreaking for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Poor baby, very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I hope she is charged with murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ba-by overboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Perhaps you should wait for the facts to emerge first?

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    Perhaps you should wait for the facts to emerge first?

You think it was an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

WHY ??????????

Obviously you know all the facts about this very sad incident.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Drink or Dope or imitating michael Jackson .How is a baby overboard managed at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And so the speculation starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

This is a pretty horrific story, it's hard enough to find a grown person in the water, nevermind a 9 day old child. Hopefully the woman gets the help she needs after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Why would you hope that before you know what happened? You're strange.

I hope it wasn't murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

harsh, even if it were a botched suicide attempt, what the hell sort of state must her mind have been in to do something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

She should surely be charged with something. Endangerment at the least. But I guess her gender will preclude this.

Funny how when you suggest an unreasonable woman is suffering with her hormones you are always wrong, yet when there's a charge to answer it is the first best defence :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think it's natural for people to speculate when something like this happens..

What ever the circumstances, it is a huge tragedy and my heart goes out to the family.

She should surely be charged with something. Endangerment at the least. But I guess her gender will preclude this.

Funny how when you suggest an unreasonable woman is suffering with her hormones you are always wrong, yet when there's a charge to answer it is the first best defence :confused:

I wonder if the childs daddy had gone over the side with the 9 day old innocent baby what would the reaction be here?

Would it be "ah the poor thing etc etc

or murdering b@stard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

dearg lady wrote: »
    harsh, even if it were a botched suicide attempt, what the hell sort of state must her mind have been in to do something like that.
    Post Natal Depression can have a devastating effect.

My thoughts are with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

That's incredibly harsh, the story is just out and we don't know any facts yet. For all we know the woman could be suffering from severe mental health issues after having the child and didn't know what else to do. While suicide should always be the last option, it's generally the first option people think of when they're mental health is at an all time low.

I hope she gets help rather then a blanket jail sentence because by the looks of it she might need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Post natal depression is an awful, debilitating illness. It is not used as 'first best defense', as you suggest.

If it is a botched suicide attempt, then I truly hope that girl gets all the help she needs. She is obviously not in a normal state of mind. Charging her with the murder of her baby and imprisoning her is not the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

xzanti wrote: »
    Unfortunately it does smack of a suicide attempt (now a murder I guess).. I hope I'm wrong, but as someone else said, who in their right mind brings a newborn baby out onto the deck of a ship, at night, in that weather..

So so sad :(

Thats the first thing I thought but I didn't post because there would be an onslaught of "dont jump to conclusions" posts :rolleyes:

I wonder if the childs daddy had gone over the side with the 9 day old innocent baby what would the reaction be here?

or murdering b@stard?

When men carry babies in their womb for nine months and give birth, possibly a traumatic birth, then we can have that discussion.

Till then, it's nothing more than a pathetic attempt at 'kicking a dog when it's down'.

Shame on you

That's incredibly harsh, the story is just out and we don't know any facts yet. For all we know the woman could be suffering from severe mental health issues after having the child and didn't know what else to do. While suicide should always be the last option, it's generally the first option people think of when they're mental health is at an all time low.

I hope she gets help rather then a blanket jail sentence because by the looks of it she might need it

She wont get jail.

If this was intentional then as well as being "suicidal" (and managing to actually not kill herself), she was also "homicidal" (unless of course killing an infant is not classed as homicide).

When men carry babies in their womb for nine months and give birth, possibly a traumatic birth, then we can have that discussion.

Till then, it's nothing more than a pathetic attempt at 'kicking a dog when it's down'.

Shame on you

I dont think the fact that a male cannot physically gestate a baby for 9 months should in any way be used to absolve a female of a (perceived) crime.

Post natal depression is a very real and very frightening thing...go onto any parenting website and read the posts from women who are going through it.

And thats at its most basic...there is a condition called post natal psychosis where the woman can hear voices, can actually believe her baby is evil..its rare but not as rare as you might think and its very serious. Sadly so many women are afraid of admitting to it as they are afraid of being judged as being a bad mother so they hide it often with there terrible consequences.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I dont think the fact that a male cannot physically gestate a baby for 9 months should in any way be used to absolve a female of a (perceived) crime.

There's a lot more to pregnancy than gestation. But I'm not going to give a biology lesson in a failed argument. This is a tragic story about a mother and her baby, lets keep to that

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Post natal depression is a very real and very frightening thing...go onto any parenting website and read the posts from women who are going through it.

And thats at its most basic...there is a condition called post natal psychosis where the woman can hear voices, can actually believe her baby is evil..its rare but not as rare as you might think and its very serious. Sadly so many women are afraid of admitting to it as they are afraid of being judged as being a bad mother so they hide it often with there terrible consequences.

Sadly, those "terrible consequences" are usually for the defenceless, innocent child.

Sadly, those "terrible consequences" are usually for the defenceless, innocent child.

True but you have to look at it in context. Its not a simple as a blood thirsty woman wants to cause harm to a child for kicks, its far deeper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 coolpaddy

She wont get jail.

If this was intentional then as well as being "suicidal" (and managing to actually not kill herself), she was also "homicidal" (unless of course killing an infant is not classed as homicide).

The killing of a child by its mother before it reaches the age of 12 months is sometimes referred to as infanticide. It's different to homicide in that the intent to kill may be there but the mother's judgement and perception may be altered of distorted as the result of hormones that are present due to her giving birth in the first place.This is an awful story. I'm hoping for the best outcome but I fear the worst may have happened. God love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

When a woman gives a child up for adoption she has 6 months in which to officially sign the papers because she is not considered "sane" after having given birth. It's a massive physical and mental ordeal. The woman in this horrific story may have been in a dreadful mental state. I really don't think this is the place for a male vs female argument.

There's a lot more to pregnancy than gestation. But I'm not going to give a biology lesson in a failed argument. This is a tragic story about a mother and her baby, lets keep to that

I dont need a biology lesson, and an argument is not "failed" just because you dont agree with it.

You were the one who brought up the concept of pregnancy and birth affording women some kind of exclusive "women only" rights to an opinion on infanticide - I believe your exact words were, "when men carry babies in their womb for nine months and give birth, possibly a traumatic birth, then we can have that discussion".

bronte wrote: »
    When a woman gives a child up for adoption she has 6 months in which to officially sign the papers because she is not considered "sane" after having given birth. It's a massive physical and mental ordeal. The woman in this horrific story may have been in a dreadful mental state. I really don't think this is the place for a male vs female argument.

True...again we don't know anything about the circumstances so speculation is unfair. If it was an accident and it could easily have been this family are going through enough without having people thinking she is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Has no one here even looked online at the news?
    Shortly before 6pm yesterday, police received reports that a woman and child had fallen from the Stena Line ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast.

The woman was rescued from the water shortly after the alarm was raised. She is now in a stable condition at the Royal Victoria Hospital..

A major search operation continued this morning for the missing baby.

As yet there has been no sign of the child and now say they cannot confirm that a child is missing.

From RTE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0510/search-to-resume-for-missing-child.html

Hope its not true, but Personally, I smell bullshiit.

True but you have to look at it in context. Its not a simple as a blood thirsty woman wants to cause harm to a child for kicks, its far deeper than that.

I'm aware of that and I would not for a second class it in the same category as cold-blooded, pre-meditated killings but I am simply making the observation that it is usually the child who suffers the most (ie ends up dead)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Turning a tragedy into a gender issue.... great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

She wont get jail.

It's classed as infanticide and is a lesser crime than murder - similar to manslaughter.
    It only applies to mothers of young infants, not daddies or other people who didn't give birth to the child presumably in recognition of the fact that many women who do this are not of sound mind as a result of pregnancy, birth etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Very true, I know a nurse who has spent her whole career working in maternity hospitals - she once told me that they worry more about the mothers who are adamant the they are "fine" when discharged from the hospital than those who honestly admit to being a bit overwhelmed by it all. There's a huge perception that admitting you're struggling makes you a bad parent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The sound of metal-on-stone reached a deafening crescendo as the axes were sharpened for battle.

I'm aware of that and I would not for a second class it in the same category as cold-blooded, pre-meditated killings but I am simply making the observation that it is usually the child who suffers the most (ie ends up dead)

Not always...it can result in suicide or self harming. Its rare that a baby dies because a woman deliberately kills it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    This is some bad ****. Hope the child is okay, but I'm not holding out hope.

The baby is dead.

The mother/woman was hypothermic during her time in the water. No chance the baby would survive much longer than that.

Its a tragedy. They should resume the search, if only to allow the family to say goodbye.

Not always...it can result in suicide or self harming. Its rare that a baby dies because a woman deliberately kills it.
    really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

or murdering b@stard?

I'm sensing something here... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The baby is dead.

The mother/woman was hypothermic during her time in the water. No chance the baby would survive much longer than that.

Its a tragedy. They should resume the search, if only to allow the family to say goodbye.

FFS, have you read the News artilcle?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0510/search-to-resume-for-missing-child.html

PSNI unable to confirm missing baby after ferry incident in Belfast Lough

We all love a good gossip, but thankfully, this story seems to be a load of codswollop!

really?

Well how many cases of a mother killing her child have their been? I can think of one or two but that's it. Its hardly a regular thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

WTF? There's no baby now at all? At least that's great news if true.

Hope the woman gets the help she clearly needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

surely the passenger manifest would say if there was a baby or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This makes no sense. I thought there were witnesses who saw the woman with the baby?

What an awful story, that woman needs serious help regardless of the outcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement