Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newborn baby feared dead after Mother & Baby fall off Stena ship

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eviltwin wrote: »
    Well how many cases of a mother killing her child have their been? I can think of one or two but that's it. Its hardly a regular thing.

I know it doesnt happen on a regular basis but it just seems that when it DOES hapen, the child comes out the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I dont need a biology lesson, and an argument is not "failed" just because you dont agree with it.

You were the one who brought up the concept of pregnancy and birth affording women some kind of exclusive "women only" rights to an opinion on infanticide - I believe your exact words were, "when men carry babies in their womb for nine months and give birth, possibly a traumatic birth, then we can have that discussion".

It wasn't me who brought up 'pregnancy and birth affording women exculsive rights, I was replying to others who brought it up, if you care to read back to my posts #24 and #26.

It is a non argument, because men cannot carry babies and thus are unaffected in the way a woman is. Those comments were serving to do nothing more than take away from a tragedy. Which seems to not have happened at all, which in fairness is just as tragic; that poor woman obviously has some serious mental health issues. And I will reiterate my hope for her to get all the help she needs.

I'm just sorry that peoples lives were put at risk searching for a baby that didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I know it doesnt happen on a regular basis but it just seems that when it DOES hapen, the child comes out the worst.

That's true and I am not condoning or making excuses. I just think its a lot bigger than a case of murder, there are a lot of psychological factors that can't be ignored if we are to learn from it and stop it happening again.

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's true and I am not condoning or making excuses. I just think its a lot bigger than a case of murder, there are a lot of psychological factors that can't be ignored if we are to learn from it and stop it happening again.
    True. I read a book once called "Emma's Baby" (I think) where the woman had pnd and her husband (who had left her for someone he met during the pregnancy) basically used it to get the child taken off her (as far as I remember). Pretty sad read but shed light on the issue as you see it from the mothers viewpoint.

It wasn't me who brought up 'pregnancy and birth affording women exculsive rights, I was replying to others who brought it up, if you care to read back to my posts #24 and #26.

It is a non argument, because men cannot carry babies and thus are unaffected in the way a woman is. Those comments were serving to do nothing more than take away from a tragedy. Which seems to not have happened at all, which in fairness is just as tragic; that poor woman obviously has some serious mental health issues. And I will reiterate my hope for her to get all the help she needs.

I'm just sorry that peoples lives were put at risk searching for a baby that didn't exist.

How is it "just as tragic" that a baby has not been killed?? It's a relief.

How is it "just as tragic" that a baby has not been killed?? It's a relief.

I said that in the belief that the 'mother' told the authorities that her baby was missing. Which means she has serious mental health problems which is extremely tragic.

However, the news reports I've looked through have said that a woman and baby were seen falling from the boat. It doesn't mention anything about the woman telling the authorities her baby was missing. Witnesses can often be wrong, hopefully in this case they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Jesus how sad if it is true. I understand women can suffer from Postnatal Depression but if I killed my own child I'd just want someone to shoot me then and there. How could you live with yourself after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Jesus how sad if it is true. I understand women can suffer from Postnatal Depression but if I killed my own child I'd just want someone to shoot me then and there. How could you live with yourself after that.

Its like those cases where people snap and kill their entire family I would guess. Hard as it is to imagine they actually think they are doing them a favour.

I said that in the belief that the 'mother' told the authorities that her baby was missing. Which means she has serious mental health problems which is extremely tragic.

However, the news reports I've looked through have said that a woman and baby were seen falling from the boat. It doesn't mention anything about the woman telling the authorities her baby was missing. Witnesses can often be wrong, hopefully in this case they are

Lets hope its just chinese whispers or somethign. People love rubber-necking voyeurism and gossip alright :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

If the only premise for assuming there was a babay, was the witnesses reports how on earth did they come up with the 9 day old baby, something very very odd about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Turns out there was no baby...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18022525
    Baby did not fall from ferry into Belfast Lough say police

The search in Belfast Lough has been stood downThe search in Belfast Lough has been stood down

Police no longer believe that a baby had fallen from a ferry into Belfast Lough.

A massive search and rescue operation was launched on Wednesday evening following reports that a baby was in the water.

The search was stood down by the Coastguard on Thursday afternoon.

A woman was rescued from the lough after she fell overboard from the Stena Line vessel.

She was treated for hypothermia in the Royal Victoria Hospital where she is in a stable condition.

A police spokesperson said the search had been called off "after enquiries with the 37-year-old woman and her family".

The alarm was raised at 18:10 BST on Wednesday, as the ferry arrived from Cairnryan in Scotland and was preparing to dock at Belfast Harbour.

The woman was recovered from the water 15 minutes later.

Sick woman. But great news that a child has not died all the same.

it doesn't report that it was her saying there was a baby

sounds like witnesses getting confused

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dearg lady wrote: »
    harsh, even if it were a botched suicide attempt, what the hell sort of state must her mind have been in to do something like that.

Post birth depression?
    Thats is just a guess - not stating a fact at all.

A very sad incident indeed, baby or no baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bluewolf wrote: »
    it doesn't report that it was her saying there was a baby

sounds like witnesses getting confused

how would witnesses know it was a 9 day old baby though? info like that could only come from the mother.

as to checking the passenger manifest, if you've ever been on a ferry, the lads at the port sometimes don't look in the back seat of a car, so that wouldn't be the most accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DrumSteve wrote: »

That's what they want you to think.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408790/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sounds to me more like family or friends were concerned for her safety and reported that she may have jumped overboard with a newborn child.

Even the circumstances around the initial report last night were odd - it seemed as far as I could tell that the PSNI had been alerted by someone who wasn't on the boat, rather than by the crew themselves. It was only when they actually found her in the water that they took the report seriously.

It's all pure speculation, but it seems to me that the only way they could have thought there was a 9-day-old baby with her, is if the report had been filed by a family member or friend who didn't know where the child was.
    Stark wrote: »
    That's what they want you to think.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408790/
    Rather odd that Gone baby Gone happened to be on TV last night when this search was going on (if you know the story of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

A police spokesperson said the search had been called off "after enquiries with the 37-year-old woman and her family".

last three words key there. God love her.

how would witnesses know it was a 9 day old baby though? info like that could only come from the mother.

as to checking the passenger manifest, if you've ever been on a ferry, the lads at the port sometimes don't look in the back seat of a car, so that wouldn't be the most accurate.

they said they interviewed her family though
    and if she was hypothermic i'd say she was disoriented and not making sense
    "where's my baby :eek:" and they all assumed it was with her

Just on the six o clock news there on RTE, the woman has been arrested on suspicion of wasting police time :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Just on the six o clock news there on RTE, the woman has been arrested on suspicion of wasting police time :mad:
    Jesus, Can't believe they're charging her with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thank God there's no harmed baby :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

It was the passanger who saw her fall into the water that suggested she had the baby because she was standing next to an empty pram

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/there-was-no-baby-in-ferry-drama-say-police-1-3828529

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

This story sounds like there was possibly a tragic event prior to the woman entering the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's a different woman who was arrested according to RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0510/search-to-resume-for-missing-child.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What is the world coming to??? There either was a baby or there wasn't it's a simple as that. How could ya mistake seeing either or 1 or 2 people fall into the water??? Ya either did see 2 or ya didn't ........ What a crazy ridiculous fiasco of tripe "a story" to be mangled reported. Some of those Newspapers should be sued for blatantly stating non-facts to this effect. It's just crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I'm so disturbed that somebody would lie about having a child with them when they "fell" overboard. The world is full of very strange people, and that woman needs serious help. Disgusting.

Polloloca wrote: »
    I'm so disturbed that somebody would lie about having a child with them when they "fell" overboard. The world is full of very strange people, and that woman needs serious help. Disgusting.

She didn't. The person who was arrested is someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

sky news are saying that it is the woman who was in the water that was arrested

" The woman was pulled from the water by the crew of a pilot boat about 15 minutes after the alarm was raised.
    The 37-year-old, from Belfast, who was taken to the city's Royal Victoria Hospital for treatment, is now in custody for questioning "

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16225103

So either RTE or Sky have it backwards. This story has to be one of the biggest messes I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

No matter what the story is, as it stands it sounds like that woman is very ill.

I'm really glad there was no baby involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Egg on a lot of faces. Stay cool, wait for the facts to emerge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

The mental state of the woman must be volatile - I feel sorry for her. I also hope the rescue personnel involved aren't too disillusioned with the outcome. In this case it's a thankless job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Polloloca wrote: »

You're not making sense. You say that the women needs serious help from which I take the implication that she is more to be pitied that referred to as disgusting. Would you say that a serial killer needs serious help or would you simply refer to them as disgusting? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Not a reliable source by any means but I've just seen this on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/th7bg/today_i_found_out_a_woman_i_know_has_faked_a/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

You're not making sense. You say that the women needs serious help from which I take the implication that she is more to be pitied that referred to as disgusting. Would you say that a serial killer needs serious help or would you simply refer to them as disgusting? :confused:

Yes. The amount of people who risked their own lives spending the day in the water searching for a child that (thankfully) didn't exist. She is sick, really sick and it is disgusting, what she done (if it was indeed her who lied).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Steady on, if what's suspected the woman has serious mental issues, why would you refer to her as disgusting. She needs help not berating from you. Cops should sort her out like this poor soul;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634264

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

poppyvally wrote: »

Who's faces would these be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

poppyvally wrote: »
    xzanti wrote: »
    Who's faces would these be?

Yeah, AFAIK, the official statement was along the lines of "a baby has reportedly fallen overboard but we have yet to confirm if this incident occurred". Seems they kept cool about it to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I hope she is charged with murder
    testicle wrote: »
    Perhaps you should wait for the facts to emerge first?

So what do you think now Mr. "SEPT 23 1989" ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The baby is dead.

The mother/woman was hypothermic during her time in the water. No chance the baby would survive much longer than that.

Its a tragedy. They should resume the search, if only to allow the family to say goodbye.

what baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Apparently the woman faked her own pregnancy and the "baby" was a doll.

Advertisement