Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilkenny

Options
  • 10-05-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Howdy everyone,

I shall be moving to Kilkenny in a few weeks! I have been living in Germany for the last 4 years so this will be a big change for me - both living in Ireland again and specifically Kilkenny! I have visited a couple of times but that is about as far as my knowledge of all things Kilkennyesque goes!!!

So I am looking forward to meeting new friends in the city and having the craic! :) I wonder would anyone be able to recommend a couple of things perhaps!
    1. A nice and friendly swimming pool with gym facilities
    2. Is there a dinner club in Kilkenny that meets regularly?
    3. Where is the best place in the city to live?
    4. Where is a good place to go out?

Thanks a million in advance for any help or advice on moving to Kilkenny!!! :) Looking forward to the big move and hopefully meeting some of ye once I do! :)

Fi xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

A nice and friendly swimming pool with gym facilities
    There only one public pool and it's called The Watershed and it has a gym and it's fairly recently built, so decent in that regard. Not sure if I would use the term 'friendly' to describe it - last time i was in there I witnessed a peon getting a rub n tug off his missus in the jacuzzi. Maybe this would fall into the bracket of friendliness? I havent been back since. Go to a hotel leisure centre - there's loads of them to chose from.

Is there a dinner club in Kilkenny that meets regularly?
    I don't know what a dinner club is. There's loads of nice resturaunts.

Where is the best place in the city to live?
    Difficult to answer that. The town is small but there are lots of developments which are out on the ring road and not within an easy walk of the town centre. It is a renters market at the moment and you should have no trouble getting somewhere decent.

Where is a good place to go out?
    I'll let someone else answer you that one but there's only one place that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fifilasparkle

Thanks for the reply! That swimming pool certainly sounds interesting I guess but not quite the friendly I was looking for! A hotel it is so! :)

Re the dinner club, I was thinking more of a group of people who organise say a monthly dinner out in a nice restaurant with nice wine but that new people can join them... Kind of like a girl's night but not quite so specific and aimed at restaurants rather than pubs... though a pub night out works too! :)

Fair enough so re rental property!! I will hopefully find something nice in the centre rather than outside! Hopefully there are no really dodgy places in Kilkenny to live! :)

Thanks again for your reply and help! :)

Fi

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

1: The gym in the Newpark Hotel is nice, I was a member there a few years ago. The gyms in the Ormonde and Springhill Court hotels are both popular.

2: No Dinner Club that I am aware off, but there could be. Would be easy to set up tho, start up a new thread for that.

3: IMO Avoid Lintown, MacDonagh Junction, and the apartments at Johns Gate. The Fairways, The Orchard, Ashfield and Ashfield East are all very nice housing estates just outside the city. You'd walk into town in bout 15 mins. All of those housing estates are beside the ring road so it's easy to get to all of the city.

4: Left Bank and Langtons are the two most popular nightspots. There is no shortage of pubs in KK. Tynans and cleeres are nice old bars, something a bit different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hotel Kilkenny has a nice gym.

No shortage of places to get a house.

Dinner club, why not set up a boards night out? It's been a while.

The best pub in Kilkenny with the nicest most refined of clientelle is
    The pumphouse

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I invited you out for a meal and you shunned me. And now look. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

fabbydabby wrote: »
    last time i was in there I witnessed a peon getting a rub n tug off his missus in the jacuzzi.

Did someone mention dinner! I don't think I could eat anything now. :(

Welcome 'home' in advance, Fi. :D I presume you're female unless Fi is short for Fintan. What age bracket are you in? It would be easier to advise you on social activities knowing that.

Avoid upstairs in the Pumphouse on a Saturday night unless you have fake ID, a low cut top and mini-skirt. :pac:

Heya!

Well cool thanks for the replies guys! :) Will look into a dinner club thread thingy then once I am back in Ireland and find a home etc and maybe a restaurant in which to have the first event! Otherwise god knows what kind of restaurant I could pick! Yay that people are open to the idea! :):):)

@1984baby - thanks for the tips on where not to live as well as everything else! I do not want to end up in the dodgy end so yay now I know where not to look - thanks!!!! :)

The Pumphouse certainly sounds like an interesting venue! Am I trying to look younger or older with my fake ID? Do bouncers still give in to low cut tops and short skirts??? To answer age bracket, mid twenties and I am indeedy a girl! Though would I be more likely to get into the Pumphouse if I was a male dressed as a girl in my low cut top and shhort skirt? ;)

Thanks for the replies again! :)

Fi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I invited you out for a meal and you shunned me. And now look. :(

Wasn't sure what you meant when you said you'd like to have me for dinner :pac:

Now what am I going to do with these fava beans and chianti? :(

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Now what am I going to do with these fava beans and chianti? :(
    Will they keep until the 2016 census?

• Advertisement

Will they keep until the 2016 census?
    I don't get that. Should I?

Why don't we meet for dinner to discuss it?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Yes you should get it, or maybe you only know some of the line... or maybe you are trying to test me? Fffffff!

"Maybe. Maybe lots of things". said Fabby, in his typical elliptical manner.

Philip looked perplexed. Was it a test? Not a moment ago the possibility of getting dinner for free was on the cards. And somehow, through trickery or otherwise the conversation managed to segue into film quotes? All was not what it seemed, and nothing was definite, that much was certain....

Do you think the time is right to call for a boards beers? Has the dust settled from the last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

To answer age bracket, mid twenties and I am indeedy a girl! Though would I be more likely to get into the Pumphouse if I was a male dressed as a girl in my low cut top and shhort skirt? ;)

If an orangutan turned up sporting an impressive pair of mammaries and a nicely turned ankle I doubt the bouncers would give a feck about what sex it was. :D

Hmmm, mid twenties... difficult. Most of the people I know these days are older or younger so I can't really help you on likely activities. If you can sing there's always the musical society (a few threads on here). You sound outgoing and social enough to be able to find things to do here pretty quickly. If you get desperate look out for the table of auld wans outside the Marble City Cafe every Friday morning (the loud ones). You'd be welcome to join us. :pac:

I think you should take up cycling, just saying.

You think everyone should take up cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

What happened on the last boards beer night? I'm curious now.

What kind of mayhem is caused by removing the security of your online persona in a place like Kilkenny?

Threadhead wrote: »
    What happened on the last boards beer night?

Havoc went out for a few pints on his own. It was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Some man for the dancing.

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    Some man for the dancing.

Sweet jebus, you guys won't let it go, it's been about four years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

nothing will beat the epic sadness of the first ever kilkenny boards beer of myself and azezil and searrard who've known each other since we were like 10 or 11 going out with some other dude who i think was in college with azezil.

mad craic going out with the people you'd ordinarilly go out with under the pretence of it being in any way different than the previous saturday.

bring on a new kilkenny meet and greet - why the fcuk not?!??!

Ooopsys didn't have internet with the move! :S I am looking forward to experiencing the joys of Captain Havoc's dancing firsthand!!! :):) Sounds like a joy to behold!!! :)

@up for anything - thanks for the invite but I fear I may have to work on a Friday morning... if not sure I will pop by for coffee! :) Thanks! :)

@Captain Havoc - I do own a super cute pink bicycle, but I think it is probably fair to say that we have different goals in cycling!!! ;)

So did we get anywhere on deciding a night out date? :)

Happy Wednesday everyone!!! :)

Fi xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Ooopsys didn't have internet with the move! :S I am looking forward to experiencing the joys of Captain Havoc's dancing firsthand!!! :):) Sounds like a joy to behold!!! :)

@up for anything - thanks for the invite but I fear I may have to work on a Friday morning... if not sure I will pop by for coffee! :) Thanks! :)

@Captain Havoc - I do own a super cute pink bicycle, but I think it is probably fair to say that we have different goals in cycling!!! ;)

So did we get anywhere on deciding a night out date? :)

Happy Wednesday everyone!!! :)

Fi xxx

well apparently the captain is the man to organise the dancing

i'd organise it but i'm shocking lazy and a bit swamped in work these days so probably best that someone else do it, but yeah its been a while since i've been to anything boards related.

Advertisement