Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear to a college inteview?

Options
  • 10-05-2012 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Just wondering what's appropriate for a college interview ? The only suit i own is black , would dark jeans a stripe shirt and flats be ok ?? im a woman btw
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

I didn't personally have to do an interview but friends who did all went in full suits (males). Females usually wore trousers (not jeans) or a skirt (nothing short).

From what I have heard they are quite formal and everyone dresses up for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dogyworld1

NiallFH wrote: »
    I didn't personally have to do an interview but friends who did all went in full suits (males). Females usually wore trousers (not jeans) or a skirt (nothing short).

From what I have heard they are quite formal and everyone dresses up for them.

OP please ignore this guy he is winding you up.

ON a serious note, go casual, you dont have to wear full suits with ties (unless you want to) doesnt change anything though

college is not a job interview, you pay the college to go their so they dont care what you wear once you pay the fees and that you are interested in the course you want to do.

Example, today after a year off school for me, i went to my interview for a college place, i went with track suit bottoms on, and an adidas jacket, they accepted me straight away because i was really interested in the course i wanted to do and i havnt even payed the fees yet and i wont be until august.

Wear what makes you comfortable, if you think its necessery to wear a full black suit, then wear one.

Although i can guarentee you the college dont care what you wear,they just want to make sure you really want said course,

if anything concentrate on what your going to say instead of what your wearing

ie, why do i want to do the course
    do i have any knowledge of the course

i even got caught of guard with a question, but just relax wear what you want, and you'll get the course you want

first impressions with colleges depend on interest highly
    if it ever depended on what you wore, well then its safe to say that at least 80% of college students wouldnt be in college

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

dogyworld1 wrote: »
    OP please ignore this guy he is winding you up.

college is not a job interview, you pay the college to go their so they dont care what you wear once you pay the fees and that you are interested in the course you want to do.

I'm not winding anyone up, I'm just telling from my experience of what people I know have worn to interviews. I dont know anyone who would attend a college interview in jeans. Dressing well only shows you are taking it seriously, does no harm at all.

Its not a job interview no but not everyone will get a place so doing everything you can to impress them is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

Well, the college I went to as a mature student was more interested in why I wanted to complete the course and what I could bring to the course than what I was wearing. I did wear a dress but I think just dress respectfully for the occasion and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

College or Uni?

College as a mature student you can go naked painted orange and your fine - you have the money your in the door.

For a Uni app under 23 Full suit (male or female) make the right impression.

Mature student Uni app lies somewhere between the two but err on the side of the suit.

While it's absolutely true its what you say and not what you wear - making the right first impression is important regardless of what you do. Unless a suit is manifestly inappropriate wearing one never hurt anyone's chances for getting something they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Wear what you're comfortable in. That doesn't mean pyjamas. The outfit you described, OP, sounds perfectly smart casual to me. Bring the suit jacket for added poshness.

Advertisement