Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In two minds about ADF

Options
  • 10-05-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

So I took a trip up to seahorse yesterday and got two African Dwarf Frogs for some interest in my betta tank. Got home, aclimatised them and let them out into the tank. All was well for a couple of hours, when suddenly one of them grabbed the betta by the pectoral fin and the two started rolling over and over. I got an emergency tank set up and managed to fish out the frogs into that.

I woke up this morning to find one of the frogs dead, probably the one that got into the fight. So there's one left, and I don't want to put it back with the betta in case they kill each other, I can't put it in my community because it'll be outcompeted for food, but I wasn't planning on having my 3rd tank as anything other than quarentine.

Anyone know what Seahorse's returns policy is in this situation? Or would anyone with a more suitable set up like a frog?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kylith wrote: »
    So I took a trip up to seahorse yesterday and got two African Dwarf Frogs for some interest in my betta tank. Got home, aclimatised them and let them out into the tank. All was well for a couple of hours, when suddenly one of them grabbed the betta by the pectoral fin and the two started rolling over and over. I got an emergency tank set up and managed to fish out the frogs into that.

I woke up this morning to find one of the frogs dead, probably the one that got into the fight. So there's one left, and I don't want to put it back with the betta in case they kill each other, I can't put it in my community because it'll be outcompeted for food, but I wasn't planning on having my 3rd tank as anything other than quarentine.

Anyone know what Seahorse's returns policy is in this situation? Or would anyone with a more suitable set up like a frog?

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id20.html

I have a friend who keeps tropical frogs so would prolly take it from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I really don't think that the betta was the problem. He's so laid back as to be practically comatose. I think he was lying on the bottom and the frog mistook his fins for a tasty bloodworm. The frog was definitely latched onto the fish, not vice versa.

If your friend is interested let me know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I really don't think that the betta was the problem. He's so laid back as to be practically comatose. I think he was lying on the bottom and the frog mistook his fins for a tasty bloodworm. The frog was definitely latched onto the fish, not vice versa.

If your friend is interested let me know.

yep..he said he has a tank for it!

African Dwarf Frog, approx 2" adult size. Completely aquatic, but appreciates some floating plants to rest in. Likes meaty foods; was eating thawed bloodworms with gusto last night. The guy in Seahorse said they'll also eat flake food that sinks to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

The Betta, was it male?

It is highly unlikely the frogs started the fight, unless you fed them bloodworm.
    I have a 120L community tank with 8 african dwarf frogs and I have to hand feed them. I also bought them from Seahorse. I love them, but they are so timid and wouldnt attack a female betta, and very unlikely a male either. Thing about those frogs is, you shouldnt have been sold 2 of them.. Like tetras they need to be in numbers as min 3 frogs per 100L tank. They dont eat flake food and need meat like blood worm. If they were really hungry, they may of thought of the bettas tale as floating food but death is extreme and most likely from wounds the betta gave him. The single frog left, either return him for a 2euro refund:rolleyes: or buy more and have fun with them. I love them.

I have a tank with 8 of them, 10 tetras, 2 clowns, 2 plecos, 4 african butterflys.. When I feed them they swim into my hand and eat the bloodworm out of my hands!!

• Advertisement

buzz wrote: »
    The Betta, was it male?

It is highly unlikely the frogs started the fight, unless you fed them bloodworm.
    I have a 120L community tank with 8 african dwarf frogs and I have to hand feed them. I also bought them from Seahorse. I love them, but they are so timid and wouldnt attack a female betta, and very unlikely a male either. Thing about those frogs is, you shouldnt have been sold 2 of them.. Like tetras they need to be in numbers as min 3 frogs per 100L tank. They dont eat flake food and need meat like blood worm. If they were really hungry, they may of thought of the bettas tale as floating food but death is extreme and most likely from wounds the betta gave him. The single frog left, either return him for a 2euro refund:rolleyes: or buy more and have fun with them. I love them.

I have a tank with 8 of them, 10 tetras, 2 clowns, 2 plecos, 4 african butterflys.. When I feed them they swim into my hand and eat the bloodworm out of my hands!!
    The betta is male, yes, but very docile and won't even flare at his own reflection. The guy in seahorse said that the frogs had been fed bloodworms, so I think it's likely that they mistook the red fins for red bloodworms. I also think that it's likely the frog died of injuries from the fight. The remaining frog is now in my QT tank and is currently chomping down some bloodworms (I discovered that the best way to feed was to saw little bits off the frozen block with a steak knife, then thaw in tank water. The excess is fed to the fish - the betta takes them after some persuasion but the tetras, gourami, and corys go wild for them).

I'm still unsure what to do. I might return him on Monday. He's currently being called Rygel and this is how he sleeps
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=12799

And here he is stalking some bloodworm
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=12798

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

do you still have the frog to rehome?

PucaMama wrote: »
    do you still have the frog to rehome?
    I sure do! Can arrange to meet you to hand him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I sure do! Can arrange to meet you to hand him over.

yay :) im away tomorrow and then tuesday morning but any other day is fine :)

Advertisement