Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s sound problems

• 10-05-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I'm have sound trouble with my iphone 4s only purchased in December gone so its not even 5 months old and still has original software.

When the headphones are is I can hear music fine and can use the volume control on the side no problem, but then when I take the headphones out the music won't play out of its speakers, I'm even losing all click sounds and lock/unlock sound is gone too. When I press the volume buttons it just comes up as ringer on screen and wont show the adjustment bar underneath. When I put it on charge it comes back for about 5 seconds but then just totally goes again.

The phone was bought through emobile sim free and locked to Meteor network, should I go back to where I bought it or contact Apple direct? Also has anyone any other solutions to help me out??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the mute switch on?

Also, you know that when you pull out the headphones the music automatically pauses, right? Is the volume slider up full in the Music app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

No its not set to silent I tried several times switching to and from silent to see if it would change it.

Yes I am well aware that it if you pull out the headphones it stops playing but have tried many times to play music out of the speaker and it plays fine but no sound. I even went into Settings> Sound> and moved the volume bar up and down in there and then the volume buttons worked fine whilst in there but as soon as I exit to the home screen it goes again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Alright, so even with the volume slider up full in the Music app, there's no sound? And I assume you aren't jailbroken? Are all apps the same? Youtube, etc?

You should try restoring the phone, but it might be a hardware problem, in which case you can bring it back to Emobile or contact Apple and send it off to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

A sure way to find out if it is a hardware issue or a software issue is to upgrade the software. I assume you are on 5.0 or 5.0.1 since last December? upgrade to the latest 5.1 software which will restore the iphone. If it is still an issue after that then it is most likely a hardware issue in which case you are still covered under warranty.
    If you do decide to upgrade be sure it backs-up the iphone first so that you still have everything.

Alright, so even with the volume slider up full in the Music app, there's no sound? And I assume you aren't jailbroken? Are all apps the same? Youtube, etc?

You should try restoring the phone, but it might be a hardware problem, in which case you can bring it back to Emobile or contact Apple and send it off to them.

No its not jailbroken. Yes have tried play videos and cant hear it either. Will emobile replace if it is hardware or will they send it off to apple?

• Advertisement

jarvis wrote: »
    A sure way to find out if it is a hardware issue or a software issue is to upgrade the software. I assume you are on 5.0 or 5.0.1 since last December? upgrade to the latest 5.1 software which will restore the iphone. If it is still an issue after that then it is most likely a hardware issue in which case you are still covered under warranty.
    If you do decide to upgrade be sure it backs-up the iphone first so that you still have everything.

Yes it 5.0.1, I have been reading up online and don't really want to upgrade to 5.1 as there is a lot of talk about bugs with it. Plus it seems there is a few issues out there similar to mine so I don't seem to be the only one with this problem.

5.0.1 is likely to have far more bugs than 5.1. I'd recommend updating.

I'm not sure how Emobile will handle it. They may send off to Apple, in which case it would be better dealing with Apple directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

5.0.1 is likely to have far more bugs than 5.1. I'd recommend updating.

I'm not sure how Emobile will handle it. They may send off to Apple, in which case it would be better dealing with Apple directly.

I agree. Every iOS has some bugs and people write about them. You'll never upgrade if that's the case.
    You warranty is with apple and not Emobile. They have quite a goo service so call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinkella

Dubdude wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm have sound trouble with my iphone 4s only purchased in December gone so its not even 5 months old and still has original software.

When the headphones are is I can hear music fine and can use the volume control on the side no problem, but then when I take the headphones out the music won't play out of its speakers, I'm even losing all click sounds and lock/unlock sound is gone too. When I press the volume buttons it just comes up as ringer on screen and wont show the adjustment bar underneath. When I put it on charge it comes back for about 5 seconds but then just totally goes again.

The phone was bought through emobile sim free and locked to Meteor network, should I go back to where I bought it or contact Apple direct? Also has anyone any other solutions to help me out??

I am having the exact same problem. I just did the new update iOS 5.1.1 and didn't fix it. I got my phone in march. I don't hear the lock unlock sound either. My phone will ring for texts and calls. I got it from apple. Bought it online. Closest apple store is downtown Toronto and I don't like going downtown. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this yet??

I upgraded the software y'day and still has not sorted the problem so I'm going to restore to factory settings today and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tinkella

For some reason it's back to working. And I hadnt had a chance to charge my phone so it died. And then I charged it turned it on and it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

I had this problem when I bought the 4s, rang apple, tried everything they said but it was actually a hardware problem, some issue with the sound card! They swapped it for a brand spanking new phone!

Advertisement