Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone missing from wedding ring

Options
  • 10-05-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Mods hope this is OK here?

Just thought I'd run this past you to see where we stand.

So wife dropped in her wedding and engagement ring into the jewelers that we purchased them from for a cleaning,rings came back with all stones intact but a day later my wife found one of the stones missing from her wedding ring.

She told the jewelers and they came back with a fee to replace the stone which I dont see that we should pay. I questioned that shouldn't they check that all stones are still mounted correctly after cleaning and was told that all stones are tapped up when cleaning takes place.

Should we take the hit or are they responsible for fixing and replacing?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sometimes with rings that are worn a while, the settings wear. When they get dirty, the dirt acts like glue, sometimes the only thing keeping the stones in! So when the ring gets cleaned, the stone can become loose. Also, ultrasonic cleaning can cause a vibration and exacerbate the problem of a loose stone.

You asked for the ring to be cleaned. Most jewellers will try and ensure the setting is ok when giving the ring back, but just how thorough do you want them to be? A cleaning job is not a repair job.

The jeweller in all likelihood did not cause this stone to fall out, the fact that the setting had probably worn will have been the biggest issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Ring is less than 2.5 years old.

They never said that they checked the mounts after cleaning just that they (where taped up)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This is a tricky one. They as the experts, are the ones who can check the settings. But they werent asked to do that, they were cleaning the ring. They gave it back to you with all stones intact. They took a duty of care in the cleaning. Hard to say if you could prove fault on their part, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Ring is less than 2.5 years old.

They never said that they checked the mounts after cleaning just that they (where taped up)

Maybe - just maybe the original seller could be a port of call. Ah I see they were. You could chance your arm with a small claims summons on the basis that the product should last more than 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They were dropped in to the original retailer for cleaning, it would be them you would have to serve scc proceedings on, accusing them of supplying a defective product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

No fault of the jeweller. Possibly its covered under house insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

sandin wrote: »
    No fault of the jeweller. Possibly its covered under house insurance?

Have to agree with this. The onus is on the customer and while this may be unfair the jewellery store returned the ring in the condition it was given to them.
    If you have insurance you may be ok but its a question of your insurance policy some only cover theft and not damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Have to agree with this. The onus is on the customer and while this may be unfair the jewellery store returned the ring in the condition it was given to them.
    If you have insurance you may be ok but its a question of your insurance policy some only cover theft and not damage.

I think you might be missing the point that the people that cleaned it were also the people that sold it in the first place. I'd expect a half decent piece of jewelry to last about ten years before I had to start getting settings done. I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

I think you might be missing the point that the people that cleaned it were also the people that sold it in the first place. I'd expect a half decent piece of jewelry to last about ten years before I had to start getting settings done. I could be wrong of course.

Nope I seen that and without presuming the "life" of the ring depends on numerous factors, quality, wear an tear etc etc.
    The best thing to do is bring it in get it fixed and next time its been cleaned request that they check for any defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

The onus is on the customer and while this may be unfair the jewellery store returned the ring in the condition it was given to them.

The ring was giving to them intact, they returned it with everything in place but NOT secure. They check all mounts under magnification when you ask them to and I would of thought with the nature of cleaning brushes etc this would be the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Small Claims Court is only 15 to submit a claim. Try it and see. If you get no where, it's only 15 quid and you can just go and get it repaired.

Advertisement