Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A couple of Questions ABout the Test

• 10-05-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭

Greetings!

I will be doing my practical test in a few weeks.
    I have held a full car licence to 20 years.
    I have been biking for over 20 years and currently have an A1 provisional licence.

1. Where will I get a hi-viz jacket with L plates (on loan?). Having 20 years of experience I do not own one.

2. I am doing the practical test - will I be asked any theory questions?

3. Will I be asked about safety aspects of my bike.

4. I ride a 400cc scooter. Is the cc too big for the test ? Should I be on a smaller bike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dewsbury wrote: »
    Greetings!

I have been biking for over 20 years and currently have an A1 provisional licence.

1. Where will I get a hi-viz jacket with L plates (on loan?). Having 20 years of experience I do not own one.

4. I ride a 400cc scooter. Is the cc too big for the test ? Should I be on a smaller bike.

You can buy the hi viz in any bike shop or make one with a stapler. Some school may loan one if you get lessons, which you need.

They ask you the road signs and several other questions. You also need to show daily checks and basic maintenance.

You've been riding illegally with an A1 as that only covers upto 125s. So I wouldn't advise riding it till you get an A, which means that your restricted to 25kw. No idea what power your 400 puts out but Google will tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

is this a wind up?
    20 years experience on a provisional?
    the 400cc scooter is to big for your category of licence and even if you had an provisional A licence i'm sure it would have to be restricted.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

juice1304 wrote: »
    is this a wind up?
    20 years experience on a provisional?
    the 400cc scooter is to big for your category of licence and even if you had an provisional A licence i'm sure it would have to be restricted.:confused:

Doesn't say experience is from on-road biking.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Hi again,

I am the original poster.

Let me clarify a few things.
    I mainly drive a car but have had bikes on and off since 1981. (!)

My scooter is 400 cc but I am on an A1 licence.

One Specific Question:
    ==================

If I show up to the test with my 400cc scooter will I be allowed do the test?
    Or will I be told my bike is too big?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You will be sent home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

P.C. wrote: »
    You will be sent home.

for exactly the reasons above, it does not matter that you have a car licence,
    Would you expect to be insured on a hgv just cos you have a car licence?
    you are quite simply breaking the law every time you get on the bike/scooter call it what you like,

its 1 too big an engine for an A1 licence and 2 its too powerful for an A licence,

how long have you got the provisional licence, as in on the actual piece of paper, what are the date ranges valid from/to and what number of licence is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Greetings!

Why are you doing the test again when you passed 4 years ago ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055252521

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I am the OP and ......

I passed!

It must have been the experience I gained with 25 years of biking.

That is what you posted in a previous thread so have you got a full licence or a provisional licence???

So to date you have roughly 29 years biking experience, so through all your years of experience did it never occur to you that you are currently driving around illegally with an invalid licence not suitable for your scooter and that if you were ever in an accident your insurance would be null and void

As the OP.

Thank you all for your input.

One of you cleverly spotted that I made an entry on boards indicating that I passed the test 4 years ago. Yes, rather embarrassingly this is true BUT .... wait for it .... I never did the paperwork to actual apply for the licence.

I appreciate that it may seem a rather silly question (i.e. can I show up on a 400cc bike).

I guess the reasons I ask is that ;

(a) How does the tester know the cc of the bike (i.e. how can he say it is too big .... I might be on a 150cc)

(b) I was advised by a professional driving instructor that the testers would not check the cc (4 years ago) and

(c) I actually did my test on this same 400cc scooter 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

if its on the side of said scooter it will be checked, you also have to tell the tester the type of bike you intend doing it on as well as the cc and sign a form stating that all the necessary requirements for restrictions are met.

so if you are doing the A1 licence, he will tell you to go home as the scooter will not only sound bigger but the tester will have a good idea of the cc himself.

things have changed in the last 4 years, they are quite strict nowadays when it comes to exact criteria...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

even if it was 150cc it would still be illegal as the A1 licence only covers you up to 125cc. It sounds like you need to get an A licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As the OP.

One of you cleverly spotted that I made an entry on boards indicating that I passed the test 4 years ago. Yes, rather embarrassingly this is true BUT .... wait for it .... I never did the paperwork to actual apply for the licence.

I appreciate that it may seem a rather silly question (i.e. can I show up on a 400cc bike).

It doesn't matter if the tester lets you out for the test. If you hit someone you've no insurance as you're ridding outside the terms of your licence, the insurance company will pay out 3rd partly claims and can them come after you to reclaim the money paid out.

(a) How does the tester know the cc of the bike (i.e. how can he say it is too big .... I might be on a 150cc)
    The testers aren't dumb and you are now required have knowledge of the bike
    and to show basic maintenance. A 400cc scooter is bigger than most 125 scooters.
    (b) I was advised by a professional driving instructor that the testers would not check the cc (4 years ago) and

I really hope that the professional cowboy instructor who advised you to drive illegally on the road hasn't made it to being an ADI.

Are you being serious in saying that you've ridden bikes for 20+ years and have never once looked at the actual laws about licences or read the ROTR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

As the OP.

OP why are you lying? You did your test on an A1 licence riding a 400cc unrestricted bike, passed and forgot to do the paperwork?? You also asked will you be asked theory questions/safety aspects of the bike?? Well if you did your test 4 years ago, why do you need to ask? I did my car test years ago and still remember the procedures on the day not to mention applying for my licence. Btw I have a full bike licence and am delighted to help people out but your story just doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

this sounds more and more like a wind up by the minute, Sorry but you really shouldn't be on a bike full stop licence or no licence if you dont even know what size bike you are ment to be riding or what your licence entitles you to ride. Your the sort of person who has an accident and all our premiums go up because of it. Sorry but thats my opinion on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Hi again,

I am the original poster.

Let me clarify a few things.
    I mainly drive a car but have had bikes on and off since 1981. (!)

My scooter is 400 cc but I am on an A1 licence.

One Specific Question:
    ==================

You won't be allowed to the test on that. As mentioned you need an A licence. Maybe see if you can borrow a 125 for the day? You don't need your scooter restricted either - I've a 400 cc scooter and did the test a year ago on it. He'll ask you what are you riding and then outside will ask you some questions about the bike (whats the most effective break, how do you know if there's a problem with the breaks, etc...) so I'm sure he'd spot that you've a 400

From the OP

To the many thousands of you watching this thread .....

1. I upgraded my licence from A1 to A (simple formality - but only because I was queued up for a test).

2. I sat my test and passed on Monday!!

So after 31 years on bike I am finally ligit ....
    (Well, almost there, I also passed the test about 4 years ago but never actually applied for the full licence!!).

From the OP

To the many thousands of you watching this thread .....

1. I upgraded my licence from A1 to A (simple formality - but only because I was queued up for a test).

2. I sat my test and passed on Monday!!

So after 31 years on bike I am finally ligit ....
    (Well, almost there, I also passed the test about 4 years ago but never actually applied for the full licence!!).

^^^^^^
    Excellent! Maybe you can tell the difference between butter and I can't believe it's not butter! :rolleyes:

Firstly you can't upgrade from an A1 to an A on test day, if you're booked for an A1 that's what has to be done. And secondly if you passed your test 4 years ago then why didn't you apply for your licence?? You have 10 years to apply for your licence with your pass certificate! Aww wait scratch that, you're the chap who defied the laws of testing when you turned up test day 4 years ago on a 400cc bike and an A1 licence! And the examiner took the test with you and passed you?? Not to mention your instuctor who you said you had lessons with didn't check your licence or know what bike you were riding??

Conspiracies theories abound !
    Apparently I am not believed.

1. I attach my "Certificate of Competency" with my name blanked out.
    Note the bottom left where it clearly indicates that the certificate is valid for 2 years (and NOT 10).

2. I did NOT upgrade from A1 to A on the day of the test. I did it a couple of weeks ago - and this was allowed by the authorities because I was "queued" for the test. (Not literally in the physical queue).

3. As mentioned in a previous post, I did pass the test 4 (or so) years ago. I never got the licence because I carelessly forgot to apply.

Oh ye of little faith !!

It baffles me why anyone would think I would make up stories in this matter.

See also the section "After You Pass" which indicates the 2 year time limit for applying for licence.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/After-you-pass/

Conspiracies theories abound !
    Apparently I am not believed.

1. I attach my "Certificate of Competency" with my name blanked out.
    Note the bottom left where it clearly indicates that the certificate is valid for 2 years (and NOT 10).

2. I did NOT upgrade from A1 to A on the day of the test. I did it a couple of weeks ago - and this was allowed by the authorities because I was "queued" for the test. (Not literally in the physical queue).

3. As mentioned in a previous post, I did pass the test 4 (or so) years ago. I never got the licence because I carelessly forgot to apply.

Oh ye of little faith !!

It baffles me why anyone would think I would make up stories in this matter.

Okay I made a mistake on the expiry of the cert (10 not 2), I mixed that up with the expiry lapse. But as you said before that you passed your test 4 years ago on a scooter with an A1 licence what was I or anyone else to think?? It just seemed really wierd that someone who passed their test would forget to apply for their pinky, I know I applied the very next day! And from reading your post it looked like you said you upgraded the test category on test day! I'm sure you can see what I mean? I've done Bike, Car and Truck tests so I'm very familar with the way tests are conducted!
    Apologies on my part so.

From time to time you get the odd poster who tells lies just to start threads if you know what I mean. Congrats on passing, I really mean that. And please don't lose faith in me! Lol

So how did the test go??

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response.

WHen I did the test in the first instance (and passed) the guy told me that I had two years for apply for the licence ..... now if he had told me I had 2 days then that would have been better!! The two year option made me think that there was no rush ! Hence the cock-up!

All the best!

PS: I'll keep the faith in you !!

Advertisement