Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Famine Commemoration - This Sunday

Options
  • 10-05-2012 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

http://www.facebook.com/NationalFamineCommemoration2012
    Drogheda during the Famine Years was the second largest port of departure for over one million people who were forced to emigrate. Some travelled only as far as Britain while others became known as 'two boaters' travelling onwards from Britain to North America. In 1847 alone, some 70,000 people left Ireland through Drogheda Port, mainly bound for Liverpool on steam ships.

The 2012 National Famine Commemoration will take place at North Quay at the port of Drogheda, Co Louth on Sunday 13th May, 2012 at 2.30pm. An Taoiseach Enda Kenny has accepted an invitation to lead the official representation at the commemoration ceremony. The commemoration programme will open with a ceremony in which the local community will be greatly involved and it will culminate in the formal State ceremonial event, which will include the National flag and military honours, and wreath laying ceremonies. The community element of the ceremony will include music, readings and prayers, a presentation of tokens in remembrance of those who suffered and perished during the famine, and a minute of silent reflection. All are very welcome to attend.

A programme of talks and events has been organised for the week leading up to the event. The programme illustrates the historical aspects of the Famine in Ireland, through History, Song, Drama and Music and highlights the role of Drogheda as a major port in the mass emigration from Ireland at that time.

There will be no cover charge for any of the events taking place from 28th April to 13th May, with the exception of the recreation of the soup kitchen. However donation boxes will be located at some of the venues.

I don't agree with calling it a famine or the revisionist "British friendly" version of history that is increasingly getting told in recent years but it's important to remember all those who died and emigrated.

Good event for the town and I hope that there is a decent turn out, if anyone is free on Sunday they should head along

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

I don't agree with calling it a famine or the revisionist "British friendly" version of history that is increasingly getting told in recent years

Apologies if this is a sensitive question, but can you please explain this part? I thought it was essentially severe food shortage due to failed potato crops, that lead to the disaster. I also read that a number of other factors like the unfair land ownership policy etc contributed to the situation, and I also read how UK didn't do much despite being in a position to be able to help.

Yet, it was essentially a famine, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

positron wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a sensitive question, but can you please explain this part? I thought it was essentially severe food shortage due to failed potato crops, that lead to the disaster. I also read that a number of other factors like the unfair land ownership policy etc contributed to the situation, and I also read how UK didn't do much despite being in a position to be able to help.

Yet, it was essentially a famine, no?

This isnt the place to debate this thoroughly, I could go back hundreds of years before the famine and outline how centuries of British barbarity and injustice had created the situation Irish people found themselves in at the time - penal laws, forced off the best land, evictions, etc the list is a long one. It was not their fault that they were dependent on the potato.

However my essential point would be that it was not a famine as there was an abundance of food in Ireland, which was exported to Britain under armed guard while the native populace starved. There was not a shortage of food.

In the 1700s there was another crop failure and in response the ports were closed to food exports. This flooded the Irish market with very cheap food which greatly alleviated the situation. This was not done in the 1840s.

The Irish rebelled under the great fenian William Smith O'Brien (statue of him on O'Connell street) and one of their main demands was the halt of exports of grain.

In addition the British knew for decades before the famine that things were very precarious yet noting was done. Britain's conduct regarding the famine is in my opinion the worst injustice the Irish ever suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Okay, I see what you mean. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

This isnt the place to debate this thoroughly, I could go back hundreds of years before the famine and outline how centuries of British barbarity and injustice had created the situation Irish people found themselves in at the time - penal laws, forced off the best land, evictions, etc the list is a long one. It was not their fault that they were dependent on the potato.

However my essential point would be that it was not a famine as there was an abundance of food in Ireland, which was exported to Britain under armed guard while the native populace starved. There was not a shortage of food.

In the 1700s there was another crop failure and in response the ports were closed to food exports. This flooded the Irish market with very cheap food which greatly alleviated the situation. This was not done in the 1840s.

The Irish rebelled under the great fenian William Smith O'Brien (statue of him on O'Connell street) and one of their main demands was the halt of exports of grain.

In addition the British knew for decades before the famine that things were very precarious yet noting was done. Britain's conduct regarding the famine is in my opinion the worst injustice the Irish ever suffered.

Good post.

There was no famine in Ireland as there was plenty of food. It being kept from the people that needed it most was genocide. Unfortunately this isn't taught in most history books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

doncarlos wrote: »
    Good post.

There was no famine in Ireland as there was plenty of food. It being kept from the people that needed it most was genocide. Unfortunately this isn't taught in most history books.

Not these days at least, we got a less diluted version in school from what I remember of it then, but in later life I did my own reading on it and the real facts make for truly horrific reading.

It really would make you hate and despise the British of that time. (Not now though I'm not Anti British etc. least there be any confusion :) )

Nice to see an event like this one all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

calex71 wrote: »
    Not these days at least, we got a less diluted version in school from what I remember of it then, but in later life I did my own reading on it and the real facts make for truly horrific reading.

It really would make you hate and despise the British of that time. (Not now though I'm not Anti British etc. least there be any confusion :) )

Nice to see an event like this one all the same.

Indeed.

While it is "mature" to understand that things have greatly changed between the two nations and to acknowledge the much much better situation today it seems that for some "maturity" is defined as revising history so to cast the British in a better light, to make out that they weren't really that bad.

It is possible to feel as you do, to despise the acts of the British of the day yet not be "anti British" to todays British people. Its a shame really that you had to point it out.

Its important to remember things properly and correctly. Kids these days, my young cousin certainly, was pretty much told in school that thick paddy relied on one crop which failed, hence so many died. Thats just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Can't believe how poor of a turn out there was for this, especially considering the schools got a letter home to say it was on! Very disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

PinkFly wrote: »
    Can't believe how poor of a turn out there was for this, especially considering the schools got a letter home to say it was on! Very disappointing!

Thats what they get for putting it on at the same time as the English premier league finale :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement