Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Phone Cards

Options
  • 10-05-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Has anyone had an issue with using Dome Telecom international phone cards? My wife uses them to call home and on many occassions she gets a card expired message even when there is credit on the card and it is within the 60 day limit. You then have to call them and they reactivate the card. When I called them they said the cards are only for tourists and tried to pitch a different product. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

sarumama wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone had an issue with using Dome Telecom international phone cards? My wife uses them to call home and on many occassions she gets a card expired message even when there is credit on the card and it is within the 60 day limit. You then have to call them and they reactivate the card. When I called them they said the cards are only for tourists and tried to pitch a different product. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Are You sure about this 60 days limit?

I have Family all over the world, and use First National to phone Thailand, South Africa, & the States regularly. HOWEVER, they have a 30 day limit from when first used. Excellent service from FN, and no complaints from me.

Sorry, I'm not helping You really, I am just questioning this 60 day limit ( I have never heard of DT so can't comment on them)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Try out Justvoip.com

You can then use their Internet phone client, use phone to phone via the website or can just use their Dialin numbers after you register your phone number.

Haven't used a callcard in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarumama

Thanks for the tip. My wife reckons the VOIP quality isn't great. My issue is does this happen to a lot of people when they buy these cards? When I contacted the company the CSM said I shouldn't be using them as they are only for tourists. Strange or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Most if not all calling card providers use voip to route their calls between countries.

I have a linksys pap2t device which I bought for about €35 euro and am using sipgate as avoip provider. Can use a normal phone with that linksys device and the quality is perfect. Setup a phone number from the town my gf is from so people there can ring her at a local rate (free for her family who have free local calls from their provider). Next to nothing spent on calls as a result.

Have you looked into using the other product that company are trying to peddle? Maybe it is more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I have found that there are a good few phone card companies out there, and they all seem to target a specific country.

My OH is Thai, I am Irish but lived for many years in South Africa, and we both have relatives in the USA. As I said, FN is where we get the best deal for the countries we phone...IE €20 card gets us 660 minutes to the USA.
    Did You check up on this 60 day limit? I honestly think You might be only getting 30 days. Anywhere we bought phone cards, they all had a 30 day limit.

As for this spiel about the cards being only for tourists? Thats utter BS IMO.......NEVER heard such garbage in my life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

sarumama wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. My wife reckons the VOIP quality isn't great. My issue is does this happen to a lot of people when they buy these cards? When I contacted the company the CSM said I shouldn't be using them as they are only for tourists. Strange or what?

Been using it for 7 years now, no issues.

You can get it to dial your landline or any landline first and then connect you to the other party also ;)

Have 299 days of Worldwide free landline calls at the moment too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarumama

Dome cards are definitely 60 days from first use. Check out their website. Better half is a bit of a technophobe so likes to stick to what she knows. Will investigate linksys option further. Thanks for the help

Advertisement