Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is it late do vaccinate for bvd

• 10-05-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

i vaccinated the cows last june for bvd for the first time and a follow up boaster shot as the landowner next to me had a massive outbreak in cattle he bought in , i am about to vaccinate my cows again this year but am i late doing them as we are using ai for the past 2 weeks . would them be covered from last years dose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

6480 wrote: »
    i vaccinated the cows last june for bvd for the first time and a follow up boaster shot as the landowner next to me had a massive outbreak in cattle he bought in , i am about to vaccinate my cows again this year but am i late doing them as we are using ai for the past 2 weeks . would them be covered from last years dose

Probably not covered from last years dose. But if they come in contact with BVD and them only a few weeks gone, they will abort. Better late than never in my opinion.

The 2 types of BVD vaccine out there claim to cover for 12 and 15 months. However, i heard from my vet that these are only claims by the manufacturers and there is no scientific evidence out there to prove that either vaccine covers for longer than 6 months!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP I'd say best thing to do is ask your vet, they should know. Ideally it should be done before ai starts. Which one did you use last year?

I did mine about 2 weeks ago and there are still a bunch of cows to calve in July, vet said it was better to do them all now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

6480 wrote: »

Ideally you should have given them both shots before starting to AI, but i think you should go ahead now and vaccinate them as soon as you can. I assume that you have tested all your cattle for BVD by now. I'm not sure that vaccinating is as effective if you have a PI or two lurking in your herd. I'd put a double fence between you and your neighbour if possible. Bovidec is supposed to cover cattle for fourteen months i think.

Advertisement