Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Vodka

Options
  • 10-05-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

I've had a half full 700ml bottle of Smirnoff Vodka in the freezer for a few weeks. I noticed that it has now partially frozen. Is it still okay? It should be genuine Smirnoff because I got it from Sainsbury's.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I think it depends on the proof of the vodka, and how cold your freezer is.
    Despite what people say alcohol does freeze, but the temperature has to be very very low.

Was the vodka actually touching a part of the inside of the freezer? I find things that are actually touching the wall of the freezer, freeze quicker/harder than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I think it depends on the proof of the vodka, and how cold your freezer is.
    Despite what people say alcohol does freeze, but the temperature has to be very very low.

Was the vodka actually touching a part of the inside of the freezer? I find things that are actually touching the wall of the freezer, freeze quicker/harder than anything else.

It was in the drawer. I guessed the freezing point to be around -40C. The freezer doesn't have an adjustable temperature so I'm guessing its set to -18 at the lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well a quick google tells me that 80 proof vodka freezes at -26.95degrees C and that your average freezer temp is -17.

This would suggest that your vodka has a lower proof and therefore more water.

Or maybe it has something to do with the bottle only being half full. I'm really not sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

OP you might find an answer to your question here.

The frozen bit is Alcohol and Water but at a lower Alcohol concentration that the mixture thats not frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

OP you might find an answer to your question here.

The frozen bit is Alcohol and Water but at a lower Alcohol concentration that the mixture thats not frozen.

Should good quality vodka fractionally freeze? I thought that the vodka and water shouldn't separate at low temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

same happened to me on holidays and was surprised by it. also smirnoff, hmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Smirnoff isn't 40%, its 37.5%.

afaik you should only be putting 40%+ stuff in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Smirnoff isn't 40%, its 37.5%.

afaik you should only be putting 40%+ stuff in the freezer.
    Captain morgans is 35% and has turned slushy in my freezer I have never had 37.5% freeze though so I think it must be borderline when it starts to go.

The usual culprit is other people in the house watering it down. I have had some freeze before a few times, it was housemates and another time my brother. Of course they denied it, and then I put in my alcoholometer/spirit hydrometer which clearly showed somebody watered it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

I made frozen vodka jelly for a party once. It was very potent so I think you will be fine with what is in the fridge:D

Advertisement