Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into fishing, need advice on trout/salmon near Dublin

Options
  • 10-05-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi All,

I used to go fishing all the time when I was a teenager, loved it, but I haven't fished at all in over ten years now. I used to fish for trout and salmon in Kerry rivers, as well as the stocked rainbow trout lakes in Kerry/Cork. Mostly fly but sometimes worms.

I now live in Dublin, I still have all the gear, including what was a relatively expensive spin rod, and I'd love to get back into it again. I'll have to put new line on my reels and get a few bits and pieces but I'm pretty much good to go! I've had a look on the internet on where to go in counties surrounding Dublin. But I think a bit of knowledgeable local advice might be much better!

I guess the gentlest way back would be some trout lakes, within maybe an hour or so drive from Dublin, where you can get by with wellies rather than waders. By the way, I used to use bubble and fly with a spinning rod rather than a proper fly rod, not sure if anywhere with fly permits would be funny about that? (I've only tried a fly rod a few times and got frustrated at not being able to cast very far!) Any advice very welcome.

Thanks
    Steve

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In a one word reply ....

Blessington. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

Ah, that is a glaringly obvious option! :) I see I can get permits in the city. Its huge, is it mostly fishable from the shore, or are any parts better than others? It must get pretty busy at the weekend?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

it is large, and stocked periodically. After stocking there will be an influx of extra angling pressure.
    However the use of all methods is allowed, and fly bubble will not fall foul of any regulations at Blessington.
    Bohernabreena Reservoirs, Corcagh Park, Annamoe are all also relatively close, but orthodox fly methods only rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

What about the dodder, I am sure it is all legal methods. A lot of it could be fished from the bank.

I've actually just bought the season permit for dodder/bohernabreena reservoir, as I'm near the dodder and its only €10.

I see bohernabreena is fly only, does that mean fly rod only?

• Advertisement

Ah, coolwings you've already answered that question! Going to have to get a fly rod I think.

Advertisement