Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinoa

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this lately in supermarkets? Just been to Dunnes/Tesco/Superquinn and couldn't find it. Staff members in Dunnes & Tesco had never heard of it :eek: and I couldn't spy a staff member available in SQ, had to leave in a rush anyway. Hoped I wouldn't have to go to an expensive health food shop for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I don't think I have seen it in any supermarkets. However, its not that expensive in Holland and Barratts. Can't remember what I paid for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I find places like Holland and Barretts or Evergreen are usually the best places to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I have bought it in Tesco before. Have a bag of Tesco Whole Foods quinoa in my press. Thing is, they tend to move stuff like that around. Sometimes its with the ethnic ingredients, sometimes with the health food stuff. Bought red quinoa in Evergreens last week. Should make a pretty salad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I had a look in Tesco earlier, didn't spot any near the tapioca, etc, but CC is right, they tend to move stuff around. Didn't see it near the other health section, though. Supervalu might have it, I'll check next time.

• Advertisement

Thanks The Black Oil. Yeah the supermarkets do tend to move stuff like this around. I spend too much time trying to track products down, one day its with the cereals, another day its with the health food and another day its with the flours and yet another its with the ethnic section. I think the ethnic section should be done away with as everyone eats everything now. I heard on a TV show they were talking about British food and discussed curries and pasta. So really there doesn't seem to be such thing as ethic food any more. Once upon a time a lot of our everyday spices were considered quite exotic, but not any more. Anyhoo, I'd appreciate if you see the Quinoa let me know, meantime I'll pop into the local Supervalu just in case. Thanks again folks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There are a few past threads about it on boards - such as here.

It's also mentioned in this Tesco whole foods document, so I presume it's a stock issue or maybe they don't carry it any more. The document also contains a pronunciation guide - I was wondering about that. ;)

Saw that thread and that it ended in December 2010 so thought info on where to get it might be out of date by now. Pronounced Keen-Wah. Yep, I had to spell the word for the supermarket staff which I thought was funny as although its not a common item I did expect the staff might have heard of it by now. Anyway I will also check out that Dublin Food Co Op as well.

No joy in Supervalu, though the section was a bit of a mess and I didn't see any price tags or barcodes for it on the shelf. I may be mistaken, but I could have sworn they had it at one point (in their 'Goodness' range), probably over a year ago. If you're not having any luck you could see about contacting one of the supermarkets. I emailed a complaint t generic Supervalu address/form before and ended up getting a response from the supplier of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Found it in Tesco - in the gluten free section!! Its E2.39 a packet. Its also where they have the lentils, etc.

• Advertisement

I'll try Tesco again tomorrow. It wasn't with the GF section earlier this week. Maybe it depends on the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Yup definitely available in a good few tescos anyway but you might have to search for it! Just logged into the tesco online shop and it's available there too so it must be stocked in most tescos. In my local one its by the polish foods, go figure!

Finally found it in Tesco with the help of a chap on the staff there. It did take a bit of system checking, to-ing and fro-ing before he tracked it down but eventually he did. It was with the Tesco dried legumes (no idea why) and beside the tinned tuna, €2.39 for a pretty small bag. Thanks all, mission accomplished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

At least you didn't try to grow your own. I did last year, threshing was not easy but worst of all it has become a bit of a weed now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

We've only found it at tesco online, not in the actual shop. I've always found it at the health stores. Someone mentioned holland and barrett up-thread; it is a good place to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I know you found it OP, but I find my local health food store much cheaper than chain supermarkets for this kind of stuff - I get a kilo of dates for €2 for eg and spices are way cheaper too

Thank you, will follow that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

I saw some today in Listons, Harcourt St. It was in 500g bags, didnt look at the price

Advertisement