Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview for Mature Student in GMIT

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I have applied to do four courses in GMIT and have been called to do an interview next week. I'm nervous about it but still feel that I should stand a chance of proceeding.

I'd appreciate if anyone who has gone the mature student route could give me an idea of what might be likely to come up in the interviews and anything else i should be aware of also. Obviously the more specific to the courses below the better. Thanks in advance!

The courses I've applied to do are in this order;
    1) GA775 software development
    2) GA572 computer and energy systems
    3) GA570 computer and electronic engineering
    4) GA776 business computing and digital media

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jimmymal wrote: »
    I have applied to do four courses in GMIT and have been called to do an interview next week. I'm nervous about it but still feel that I should stand a chance of proceeding.

I'd appreciate if anyone who has gone the mature student route could give me an idea of what might be likely to come up in the interviews and anything else i should be aware of also. Obviously the more specific to the courses below the better. Thanks in advance!

The courses I've applied to do are in this order;
    1) GA775 software development
    2) GA572 computer and energy systems
    3) GA570 computer and electronic engineering
    4) GA776 business computing and digital media
    Not course specific but you should be asked why you chose the particular courses, what you will bring to the course, show enthusiasm for it, if you have experience in the field then speak about it, how will you interact with younger students.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

From what I have heard:
    (Have the same interview time slot this Monday and asked around for info.)

-Be prepared! (Know what course you are applying for, what it covers & it's correct title) -have heard horror stories of interviewees not being able to simply describe the actual course they are being interviewed for! Yes, its an IT course but what will be covered, have you looked at

You and I are applying for a 3 or 4 year course, its a serious commitment of your time and their resources -don't waste the interview and waste first impressions by being vague, rambling or uncertain. Have your facts prepared, questions ready to go and be able to talk about what the course & GMIT means to you. If you need to write down these, do it. Better to read from a quick check-list than mumble vague questions.

-Be aware that what GMIT and all Third Level courses are looking for are students who are self-motivated, willing to engage with others and not likely to wast the opportunity given to them by taking up a place.
    Have you taken a previous course (does not have to be specific to computing or IT) but should show that you can and have tackled a demanding course. Ex: FAS or evening course?
    ex: At the interview: "I'm applying for the GA171, Admin & Info. Systems, this covers A, B & C,
    I have an interest in this because....,
    my experience is.....,
    I have studied....
    My goal is at the end to have a qualification in this field because...

-There will be a small pre-interview "interview" ie: someone from the college will ask you before you go in for what (if relevant) your leaving cert. details are, experience, other education qualifications are etc.
    Basically, to streamline the process, they want to have the background info sorted out so that when you go in, not having to explain what your previous experiences are wasting their/your time.

-Being a mature student is not a disadvantage. Sounds obvious but a lot of people seem to think, I'm 10, 15 or 20 years older than the others, must mean I will have big problems.
    Ask yourself, are you the same person now that you were at 18? NUIG has 10% of student population as mature students (1200 students!) Why? Because, apart from the stabilizing class influence of older students, all third level colleges/ITs know from experiences that mature students are more focused and less likely to "flake out" when exam pressure hits = more likely to graduate.

Good luck.
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

I'm going to GMIT as well and my interviev is on tuesday 15.05 :)
    I hope my language will be understendable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Im sure you will be fine, there are loads of non-national students in GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

Hi all,

I have an interview for the Film/Documentary course (formerly Film/TV) on Tuesday.
    I was wondering if anyone(who did the course previously or not) has any advice on what they may be looking for in a student...what type of questions they might ask, and what you got out of it personally? :confused:

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

paul9mm wrote: »
    From what I have heard:
    (Have the same interview time slot this Monday and asked around for info.)

-Be prepared! (Know what course you are applying for, what it covers & it's correct title) -have heard horror stories of interviewees not being able to simply describe the actual course they are being interviewed for! Yes, its an IT course but what will be covered, have you looked at

You and I are applying for a 3 or 4 year course, its a serious commitment of your time and their resources -don't waste the interview and waste first impressions by being vague, rambling or uncertain. Have your facts prepared, questions ready to go and be able to talk about what the course & GMIT means to you. If you need to write down these, do it. Better to read from a quick check-list than mumble vague questions.

-Be aware that what GMIT and all Third Level courses are looking for are students who are self-motivated, willing to engage with others and not likely to wast the opportunity given to them by taking up a place.
    Have you taken a previous course (does not have to be specific to computing or IT) but should show that you can and have tackled a demanding course. Ex: FAS or evening course?
    ex: At the interview: "I'm applying for the GA171, Admin & Info. Systems, this covers A, B & C,
    I have an interest in this because....,
    my experience is.....,
    I have studied....
    My goal is at the end to have a qualification in this field because...

-There will be a small pre-interview "interview" ie: someone from the college will ask you before you go in for what (if relevant) your leaving cert. details are, experience, other education qualifications are etc.
    Basically, to streamline the process, they want to have the background info sorted out so that when you go in, not having to explain what your previous experiences are wasting their/your time.

-Being a mature student is not a disadvantage. Sounds obvious but a lot of people seem to think, I'm 10, 15 or 20 years older than the others, must mean I will have big problems.
    Ask yourself, are you the same person now that you were at 18? NUIG has 10% of student population as mature students (1200 students!) Why? Because, apart from the stabilizing class influence of older students, all third level colleges/ITs know from experiences that mature students are more focused and less likely to "flake out" when exam pressure hits = more likely to graduate.

Good luck.
    Paul

cheers paul and ben for gettting back to me, some good advice alright, ill probably write up a general list of pros and cons(positive).
    theres been a few questions ive been wondering how to answer as well so ill have to have a good sit down this evening with the cv and course prospectus.

best of luck with your interviews
    jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonnyhiggins

i have an interview for letterfrack furniture design college this week, does anyone know what the proper attire is or have any pointers for me. any help will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

hey johnny,
    hope this reply isnt too late.
    as far as i could see most were dressed casual, a few had dressed up for it.

jim

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonnyhiggins

cheers man, casual is ok by me.

Advertisement