Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Eng after B.Sc Physics?

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey everyone,

I'm about to head into third year Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials in TCD - it's effectively a materials science course with a focus on nanoscience, roughly 50% each physics and chemistry (as the name suggests). I'm hoping to head into the applied science field, and felt that getting a primary degree in an up-and-coming field like nano would give me a decent boost. Are there any places in Ireland where you can do a Master's in Engineering program off the back of a BSc? I know I'd probably have to take a few conversion modules to bridge the gap between the subjects, but that wouldn't bother me. I've seen a few courses abroad, mostly in America, but I'd need a hell of a lot of funding for that. Part of the reason why I'm looking into it two years in advance, I suppose.

Or should I take a different approach to getting more "practical" work? I mean, applied science is what I'm really interested in - I'm one of the only people in the class who enjoys circuits and mechanics, for example - but I'm afraid of getting pidgeonholed into purely theoretical research work. I was hoping that my chosen Bachelor's would allow me to branch out regardless, but formal training in materials engineering or something related would really interest me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

.. Did you get any word?
    Been looking at this near everyday looking for answers.

Advertisement