Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sterilisers

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Ok i am clueless when it comes to these . does anyone have any advice on the best one to buy? electric or microwaveable?

Best packages and any special offers on at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Im clueless also but all of my friends have recommended the microwave ones.
    Im getting the Avent one and its on special offer in Super Valu at the moment for 12.70
    It fits 6 bottles in it at a time and keeps the sterile for 24hours - take approx 6 mins depending on microwave wattage

Hope this helps but Im sure more people will have hands on advice as I say Im first time around like you and clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I too am first timer and bit clueless but my mother in law bought me the Avent electric one! Don't know how much it was but inside you get a small bottle, normal sized one, drinking beaker, soothers, brush for cleaning bottles etc. So with all the bits I think its good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

Thanks jakeypooh, i think id be getting be going along with the microwave one too, must have a look in supervalue on sat, have a 15 euro voucher too.
    Also i hope to breasted would i need a separate stetiliser for pump, storage jars ect ?! so much to think of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I have the TT microwave one - great compact size, holds four bottles, done in no time. I breastfed and used it to sterilise soothers and pieces of the pump too, so OP, you don't need a separate one. I used breastmilk storage bags, which come sterilised.

You probably won't be expressing til baba is at least a month old, so don't go buying too much until you see how you get on.

youre right may as well get a good basic one and just see how BF goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i got a present of 6 dr brown bottles the other day, do i have to get a special steraliser for this or are they kinda universal??? im also clueless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Pushki, if you plan to breastfeed it's best to choose bottles with teats that are boob shaped and then get a sterilliser that they fit in. I got the TT closer to nature bottles for that reason and then got the sterilliser. This will help prevent nipple confusion if you introduce a bottle but continue to breastfeed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Any bottles will fit in the avent ones, just less of them. I can do 6 avent at a time or 3 tommee tippee bottles and my pump and a few soothers and the spoon for the vit d drops

Thanks Anna , id have never even thought of something like that! So would you say the closer to nature teats would be the most similar shape to nipples?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I use dr brown bottles and the tommee tippee steriliser. You fit 4 bottles and 6 mins in microwave. I also breastfeed and started expressing at 10 days. Neither of my boys have ever had a problem switching from boob to bottle. I've never had an issue with wind either which apparently the dr brown bottles are great for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Does nobody else use the Milton cold water sterilizer? They sell them in the little shop in the Rotunda but I got mine off my Sister who used it for all FIVE of her babies..

I found it great, no microwaves or any of that messing around.. just fill it with cold water and a cap of Milton every day and Bob's your uncle..

I never had any problems with it and I have it stored away in the event of another baby happening along :)

Really it's just a glorified bucket, it's the Milton that does all the work so I guess you could really use anything filled with cold water and Milton.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

i got a present of 6 dr brown bottles the other day, do i have to get a special steraliser for this or are they kinda universal??? im also clueless :(

They do have a Dr Brown steriliser (microwave and the plug in one) but have never seen them on special offer like the Avent and TT. You could use a different steriliser but you may not get as many bottles into it than if you used the same bottles and steriliser. My sister had Dr Brown bottles and a different steriliser, I think it was Avent but not 100% sure.

Advertisement