Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What detergent for new baby clothes

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi there

What detergent should I get to wash new baby clothes / bedding in?

Ive been told I need to have everything I buy washed before the baby can use it and amn't sure whether I can use my normal bold for the wash?

Clueless isn't the word!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hey, I think fairy non bio is the one to use, or any non bio really for baby's sensitive skin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

What about a fabric softener ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Yep I'm using Fairy non bio detergent from the start and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Oh don't know about fabric softener to be honest, but I will be just sticking to the non bio on its own for now incase they would ever have a reaction to it! but thats just my opinion!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

yeah, i dont think you should use fabric softener for the first few washes.I think when baby is 6-8 weeks you can start using something like comfort pure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Do you really have to pre-wash everything? I don't want to take the 'newness' out if all the little things :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Do you really have to pre-wash everything? I don't want to take the 'newness' out if all the little things :)

I did, just to remove any residual chemicals that the original fabric might have been treated with in case it would make the baby's skin react. With ironing, they came up nicer than new, and smelt lovely :)

I used fairy non-bio liquid and fairy softener. I just switched from whatever I'd been using previous to that for the whole household wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Thats a great idea switching the whole household instead of just the baby

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Did you wash all the muslin cloths too?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I did wash them Ginny, but it was more that I just gathered up everthing baby related (it was all white/cream/neutral anyway) including the cot sheets and blankets and fired them all on one or two washes, so the muslins were bunged in with the lot as I was doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ah cool, I'm doing the blankets and sheets right now and I wasn't sure about the muslins, Ill stick them on tomorrow so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Is there a specific reason you're not meant to wash baby's clothes along with your own or partner's clothes? I've heard this before but it doesn't make sense to me at all, sure everything's getting washed!

Or is it just being on the safe side?? Baby will be snuggled into our clothes anyway (and probably sucking on them!) throughout the day as we'll be carrying them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Lidl non-bio is considerably cheaper than fairy and just as effective and, in my experience, less-irritating.

About 3 years ago we switched to Soap Nuts (also known as Soap pods), great cleaning, compostable, natural and sustainable, and we've never looked back. We find they are more economical, on top of all the other positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I used persil non bio! My OH thought I was gone crazy but after to seeing a lady sneeze all over baby clothes in m&s he encouraged washing everything from sheets to bibs!! I can't stand the smell of clothes or sheets when they come out of packages so definitely had to wash them so they smell nice for babs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FDrohan

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I just came across it on eumom.ie http://www.eumom.ie/Family-Life/Your-Laundry.aspx

Advertisement