Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD fees from Grant?

Options
  • 10-05-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I'm just finishing my undergrad and was a grant student. I have been accepted to a masters. I know the the maintenance grant no longer exists for postgrads. But according to the student finance website it appeared that my fees would be covered as I am under the income threshold. I have been approached to consider PhD studies. I didn't apply for any scholarships as to be honest I didn't think id stand a chance against a masters graduate. So I enquired about the grant covering my PhD tuition fees and this is the response I got from SUSI

"Previous study at further education or higher education may affect your eligibility to be considered for a grant. If you hold a qualification you will need to be “in progression” as defined in the Student Support Act, 2011 and outlined in articles 15 to 17 of the Student Grant Scheme, 2011. There are limits on the number of years for which you can be grant-aided for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. This may be subject to change as details of this years Student Grant Scheme is expected to be published by the Department of Education and Skills towards the end of May."

So that doesn't really tell me anything?! I've read the act and can't see anything about time limits? Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jayjay80

ah ok...i was reading 15 -17 of the Act...the answer seems to be here under the scheme.

So it's four years cover at postgraduate level.

Now to find out if that means I could do a year at my MSc and then my 3 years PhD?

it say this "(d) a student or tuition student who already holds a postgraduate diploma
    at Level 9 of the framework of qualifications or equivalent and is
    pursuing one of the following, not having previously pursued a course
    at Level 10 of the framework of qualifications or equivalent, shall be
    eligible for a grant—"

So i'm assuming I can get fees covered for my MSc and then proceed to PhD and have my fees paid

Anyone done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Jayjay80 wrote: »
    ah ok...i was reading 15 -17 of the Act...the answer seems to be here under the scheme.

So it's four years cover at postgraduate level.

Now to find out if that means I could do a year at my MSc and then my 3 years PhD?

it say this "(d) a student or tuition student who already holds a postgraduate diploma
    at Level 9 of the framework of qualifications or equivalent
    and is
    pursuing one of the following, not having previously pursued a course
    at Level 10 of the framework of qualifications or equivalent, shall be
    eligible for a grant—"

So i'm assuming I can get fees covered for my MSc and then proceed to PhD and have my fees paid

Anyone done this?

The part in bold worries me: it makes it seem like you already have a Master's (which the grant didn't pay for) then you'll be considered for the PhD, but not both. However, it could just be the impression I'm getting from the way you cut & pasted the document, which left out how you funded the Master's :)

I don't really know a lot about the postgraduate grant system, but I think you would be better off trying to speak to someone in person about it: County Council, Student Fees at your university, even the Education Officer at the SU, than trying to interpret it yourself. I speak from anecdotal experience: two friends of mine last year, after finishing their BA, went straight through to PhD without doing the Master's first. Why? Because the grant only covers one course of postgraduate study (at least this is what they were told). So if you 'use' it so to speak to cover Master's fees, then you can't also have the PhD covered. So check very carefully with someone in the know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

Hi there,

I did a masters a few years ago and it was covered by Dublin City Council for fees (and grant). Then after a year off i applied for a Phd and this was also covered by the fees as it was in the same subject as the Masters (same college too) and therefore was considered 'progression' - so even though I had used it for the masters (1 year) I got the other 3 years for the PhD. So if your MSc and PhD are in the same subject you may be able to do the same, as this may be considered only one course of study.

However as Gutenberg says best to check with someone in the know - things may have changed since I applied for it or your circumstances may differ. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

What discipline are you in? Since you're looking at MSc, I'm guessing it's a science, depending on which one you may be able to get funding from the department - either just by way of a grant they have floating about, or doing a demonstratorship. (fees and stipend paid, do a bunch of tutoring/lab demonstrating in return)

Doing a PhD without getting paid for it can potentially be a very bad idea, you should look into getting funded and talk to whoever approached you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cosmic13

You should get your fees, or at least part paid for you by the grant. A few of my friends have and they have all completed MAs. As well I think, but could be wrong, that a PhD is a level 10 so you are still considered as progressing. I know they've changed it so depending on your earnings you probably will have to pay the student contribution youself.

Quick question of my own here... was wondering if anybody knows... I am going into my 3rd year of a Phd and have been getting a DCC grant with maintainence. I know they are getting rid of the maintainence for new applicants but was wondering if anyone knew what the story was with continuing students or is the additional income completely gone. I've looked in quite few places and everything seems pretty unclear! Any help would be much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement