Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shampoo Recommendation

• 10-05-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hair description: Dark, straight and really shiny after it's washed.
    Problem: It looks really greasy the next day/late that day.

I've tried dry shampoo but that just makes it lank and dull. My hair is in pretty good condition - I've no highlights and very few split ends. I just want to know if anyone can recommend a shampoo that will mean I get an extra day out of it!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

I know with dry shampoo you have to be careful how much you put into your hair because it can have the opposite effect if you use too much of it, like it will weigh your hair down and look matted into your head.

Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Morning After Dry Shampoo is brilliant and smells nice too. I have thin, poker straight dark hair and I use it to give me a fresh hair, more volume look 'the morning after' :) You can get it in Boots, it's in a black can like the other Glam Hair products. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 HappyKate

Birdster wrote: »
    I know with dry shampoo you have to be careful how much you put into your hair because it can have the opposite effect if you use too much of it, like it will weigh your hair down and look matted into your head.

Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Morning After Dry Shampoo is brilliant and smells nice too. I have thin, poker straight dark hair and I use it to give me a fresh hair, more volume look 'the morning after' :) You can get it in Boots, it's in a black can like the other Glam Hair products. Hope that helps!

How much does it cost?
    The same problem as OP has :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

Birdster wrote: »

So basically, use sparingly & all will be fine! :) Thanks!!

I'm currently using a clarifying shampoo by herbal essences as my usual shampoo which is pretty good. I was just hoping there might be a miracle one out there somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

pantene aqua light is EXCELLENT

kitty9 wrote: »
    pantene aqua light is EXCELLENT

Excellent, I'll try that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Coal1978

Hair description: Dark, straight and really shiny after it's washed.
    Problem: It looks really greasy the next day/late that day.

I've tried dry shampoo but that just makes it lank and dull. My hair is in pretty good condition - I've no highlights and very few split ends. I just want to know if anyone can recommend a shampoo that will mean I get an extra day out of it!

Thanks! :)

I have the same hair, grease worse during my pregnancy. I was told to use a clarifying shampoo for everyday then I can use a high shine shampoo for going out etc.

I use herbal essences clarifying shampoo, it cleans the hair of grease and build up and I use John frieda high shine when going out, the John frieda works great after hair has been cleaned of all grease and silicone deposits etc.

Coal1978 wrote: »
    I have the same hair, grease worse during my pregnancy. I was told to use a clarifying shampoo for everyday then I can use a high shine shampoo for going out etc.

I use herbal essences clarifying shampoo, it cleans the hair of grease and build up and I use John frieda high shine when going out, the John frieda works great after hair has been cleaned of all grease and silicone deposits etc.

I'm trying to avoid washing my hair everyday. I do use herbal essences and find it pretty good. I just wondered if there was a better regular shampoo that I was missing out on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

I would actually recommend against a clarifying shampoo (apologies to Coal1978 who recommended you use one! I guess it's different for everyone).
    I have really thin/fine hair and I find that a clarifying shampoo strips everything and makes it really clean/light -but it ends up making the hair overproduce oil and get more greasy more quickly over time. Your hair has to work extra to get back its "natural" oils (which are supposed to be there). Same principle you would use for your skin -it's a bad idea to wash your face with soap or anything very drying, it becomes more greasy and it strips its own protection. That's just my advice. (A clarifying shampoo is great for once in a while).

Personally, I've found any shampoos for thin hair specifically, to not be very good. I'm not sure why, but they just don't work for me (and I've tried high-end ones also). I think they're too strong in cleaning the hair, maybe? The best I can recommend would be shampoo that is free of SLS and is as gentle as possible. It sounds kind of counterproductive, but I've really found they work. I think you have to just find what works best for your hair, but I really like Avalon's nourishing shampoo (smells unbelievably good), and Lavera's regenerating shampoo. They're the only two I've tried that I feel fine going out in public without washing my hair since the day before :) Since switching to organic/sls-free shampoo my hair is just much healthier in general too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you can buy these shampoos in organic/health food shops. They are a bit more expensive, but you can find some cheaper ones. I think the lavera one is 6-7euro and avalon is 8-9euro.

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    I would actually recommend against a clarifying shampoo (apologies to Coal1978 who recommended you use one! I guess it's different for everyone).
    I have really thin/fine hair and I find that a clarifying shampoo strips everything and makes it really clean/light -but it ends up making the hair overproduce oil and get more greasy more quickly over time. Your hair has to work extra to get back its "natural" oils (which are supposed to be there). Same principle you would use for your skin -it's a bad idea to wash your face with soap or anything very drying, it becomes more greasy and it strips its own protection. That's just my advice. (A clarifying shampoo is great for once in a while).

Personally, I've found any shampoos for thin hair specifically, to not be very good. I'm not sure why, but they just don't work for me (and I've tried high-end ones also). I think they're too strong in cleaning the hair, maybe? The best I can recommend would be shampoo that is free of SLS and is as gentle as possible. It sounds kind of counterproductive, but I've really found they work. I think you have to just find what works best for your hair, but I really like Avalon's nourishing shampoo (smells unbelievably good), and Lavera's regenerating shampoo. They're the only two I've tried that I feel fine going out in public without washing my hair since the day before :) Since switching to organic/sls-free shampoo my hair is just much healthier in general too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you can buy these shampoos in organic/health food shops. They are a bit more expensive, but you can find some cheaper ones. I think the lavera one is 6-7euro and avalon is 8-9euro.

Thanks for the advice. I never thought that I might be causing my hair to overproduce oils.

I guess maybe trial and error is the best plan. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Depends on your hair type. There is a herbal essence out that is for normal-oily hair. Dark green bottle, light green bottle for normal hair so if your hair is normally dry and isn't greasy go for that one. Great for putting a shine in the hair and lasts a little longer.

Find certain shampoos dull my hair a bit but then I get both oily and dandruff in my hair so use shampoos for both. Head and shoulders great for dandruff but not great as I find it dulls my hair a bit so use the other one to put a shine in my hair. Washing and rinsing well will make it less dry and greasy. For me normal shampoo and conditioner makes my hair very dull be like it not washed at all. Cream shampoos aren't always the best for me unless its head and shoulders. Gel shampoos works best for me as it suits my hair type better.

La roche posay is good too for treating hair.

Best way to put a shine in the hair is wash it and then at the end rinse it in cold water closes the pores. Makes the hair shine and last some bit.

Washing hair everyday may not be the best either but wash hair regularly say every 2 days your hair be in good condition then. If you keep washing it too much can make your hair lessen its condition. I think if you can get an extra day out you be grand. You need to give your hair a rest from the shampoos too. Herbal essence every day or every second day and la roche posay once a week keep your hair in good condition but all depends on your hair type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

So basically, use sparingly & all will be fine! :) Thanks!!

I'm currently using a clarifying shampoo by herbal essences as my usual shampoo which is pretty good. I was just hoping there might be a miracle one out there somewhere!

I'm late back on this thread! Oops! For shampoo I used Nioxin for a solid month, saw improvement, but then I realised it was completely stripping my hair and it wasn't making much of a difference anymore, so now I use it once a week because it is an amazing clarifying shampoo and I use Organix Cherry Blossom for volume hair, it's paraben and sulfate free and after I've done my Nioxin shampoo the Organix gives my hair a lovely soft, lifted look. They seem to work well together for me at the moment. I use Nioxin 4, it's the noticeably thinning range of "cleanser and revitaliser". I find the Nioxin clean does give me an extra day, just one now but it's better than none!:D

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I find if you let your hair dry out naturally and then dry it with the hair drier makes your hair in good condition for longer.

Trial and error really while searching for a shampoo to suit you!

Hope you find a suitable shampoo Op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am looking for a shampoo for oily, greasy, itchy and fine hair so any recommendations please?

Advertisement