Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Unfortunate Dogs:(

• 10-05-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I was down in the credit union earlier and this guy came in with a puppy. It looked like a staffie mix. The owner said she was seven weeks old and he got her for free because she was going to be put down. He has two German Shepherds and a yorkshire terrier as well. I asked him was she old enough for her vaccinations and he said that he gave them to her yesterday himself. He went on explaining how but to be honest I was so horrified it went over my head. He complained that the vet would charge €80.

Earlier in the week I heard how in a garden close to me two dogs killed another dog in the garden. Those poor dogs are kept in a tiny garden and never, ever out. The ISPCA van was there around the same time, there is one dog now in the garden.

Also a couple of days ago I picked up a small dog that was out loose on the road, no collar or name tag, no microchip. After a lot of hassle and time I managed to trace the owners the next day.

I am beginning to feel seriously depressed by the way dogs are treated in this country by a minority of people.

By the way has anyone else heard Alex Petrelli on 2FM on the Tubridy show? I think he is GREAT. A real understanding of dogs and an empathy for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Dunno what to say really - there are people out there with appalling attitudes to animals yet they still keep pets.
    Ignorance , stupidity , call it whatever ...... I always console myself with the thought that my pets will never suffer in the way so many others do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

00.jpg

Found this poor unfortunate animal one morning, and after contacting SPCA got him rehomed, even though he was chipped they said they sold him to petshop and they in turn said they would not give info out. Pure money racket with them. Anyway here he is today.

04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I asked him was she old enough for her vaccinations and he said that he gave them to her yesterday himself. He went on explaining how but to be honest I was so horrified it went over my head. He complained that the vet would charge €80.

I don't see why it's bad to vaccinate your pup yourself, I mean if you know what you're doing and you do it correctly it's no different than going to a vet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

rorrissey wrote: »
    I don't see why it's bad to vaccinate your pup yourself, I mean if you know what you're doing and you do it correctly it's no different than going to a vet?

At 7 weeks old he may as well have been injecting the pup with water. There's a parvo vaccine they can get at 6 weeks. But for the regular DHPPI they should be at least 8 weeks as the antibodies they still have from birth will kill the vaccine if given any sooner, that's why you then vaccinate again 2 weeks later. Also a pup really should be going to a vet for the first check up as it's not just inject and out the door again, presuming that the owner didn't take the pup's temperature if he was already ill and coming down with something the vaccine won't help.

Nothing wrong with vaccinating yourself so long as you know what your doing (injection technique, vaccine storage etc.) and the dog is still brought for a yearly check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Zapperzy wrote: »
    At 7 weeks old he may as well have been injecting the pup with water. There's a parvo vaccine they can get at 6 weeks. But for the regular DHPPI they should be at least 8 weeks as the antibodies they still have from birth will kill the vaccine if given any sooner, that's why you then vaccinate again 2 weeks later. Also a pup really should be going to a vet for the first check up as it's not just inject and out the door again, presuming that the owner didn't take the pup's temperature if he was already ill and coming down with something the vaccine won't help.

Nothing wrong with vaccinating yourself so long as you know what your doing (injection technique, vaccine storage etc.) and the dog is still brought for a yearly check up.

Thank you! I really had no idea that you could vaccinate a dog yourself. I doubt he will be a regular visitor at the vet but at least the owner is making an effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Found this poor unfortunate animal one morning, and after contacting SPCA got him rehomed, even though he was chipped they said they sold him to petshop and they in turn said they would not give info out. Pure money racket with them. Anyway here he is today.

Oh gosh, poor little fellow. I have a bichon so this really tugged on my heartstrings. Looks a bit like that little chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Oh gosh, poor little fellow. I have a bichon so this really tugged on my heartstrings. Looks a bit like that little chap.

Have a Westie ourselves,(otherwise we would have kept him) who got jealous when we took the poor thing in. A very friendly little guy, about 2 years old the vet thought. He was rehomed to a family that had a rescue dog that got too big for the house, so they agreed to swap.
    Still cant believe that anyone would treat an animal like that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Have a Westie ourselves,(otherwise we would have kept him) who got jealous when we took the poor thing in. A very friendly little guy, about 2 years old the vet thought. He was rehomed to a family that had a rescue dog that got too big for the house, so they agreed to swap.
    Sorry, I don't get you, you're saying the dog in the photos you posted was rehomed to a family that gave up another rescue dog that "got too big for the house" so they swapped dogs???:eek:

Advertisement