Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philosophy Exam

• 10-05-2012 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Have an exam tomorrow. Really dont have any idea whats going on bar the past exam papers. Please somebody let me know if you know anything about Philosophy. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

What module?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Mass Media Philosophy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

closeline wrote: »
    Have an exam tomorrow. Really dont have any idea whats going on bar the past exam papers. Please somebody let me know if you know anything about Philosophy. Thanks

Ahm, why not, did you not go to the lectures or something????

Ya I went to a fair few of them. Its very difficult plus there is only one year of exam papers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ya I went to a fair few of them. Its very difficult plus there is only one year of exam papers.

What would you consider a fair few?? Percentage wise how many lectures?? Surely if you were finding it difficult you could have approached your lecturer and asked them to further explain the topic, or suggest further reading that you could do. Coming on boards and asking the night before the exam isn't the ideal preparation for an exam

Go away and look at the learning outcomes for the module, which should be in the course outline, at least you'd have some idea of what you should be studying, pretty sure I've posted the book of modules link somewhere already

• Advertisement

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page056.html#PH2027

Surely you have some idea of it, you had to hand in an essay already! Did you have many problems with the essay?

http://www.ucc.ie/modules/descriptions/page056.html#PH2027

Surely you have some idea of it, you had to hand in an essay already! Did you have many problems with the essay?

Ya very difficult. No result back yet but good chance that I have failed.

So why at that stage didn't you go to the lecturer and ask questions?? Makes no sense to me - if I'm right, you are in second year?? Should know the story by now, about being able to approach lecturers, would be saying something different if you were a first year and this was Christmas.

Hopefully other posters will learn from your mistakes

So why at that stage didn't you go to the lecturer and ask questions?? Makes no sense to me - if I'm right, you are in second year?? Should know the story by now, about being able to approach lecturers, would be saying something different if you were a first year and this was Christmas.

Hopefully other posters will learn from your mistakes

that really helps. Unfortunately not all off us are swats or like mature students. Asked the lecture several questions. Very unhelpful to say the least. No mistakes from me. August here I come.

that really helps. Unfortunately not all off us are swats or like mature students. Asked the lecture several questions. Very unhelpful to say the least. No mistakes from me. August here I come.

That kind of attitude won't help you - I'm not a mature student or a swot, but I have some common sense, like a lot of other posters here. If I have a problem, I ask the questions. If you are finding things difficult, you don't wait until the night before to try and find some help - best of luck with the repeats in August

• Advertisement

That kind of attitude won't help you - I'm not a mature student or a swot, but I have some common sense, like a lot of other posters here. If I have a problem, I ask the questions. If you are finding things difficult, you don't wait until the night before to try and find some help - best of luck with the repeats in August

I wasn't really looking for a reply like that. I was hoping with a bit of luck that someone might have something positive to say. Not for someone giving out and telling me when to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

The OP has a point here. Yes they've not handled things with any great degree of common sense (or intelligence if truth be told) but at the same time they've laid out their position, and asked for advice based on that.

Any response from a Mod should be measured, and understanding, even if it's through gritted teeth.

OP: Philosophy is not something you can waffle through. Mass Media is not a difficult concept. You watch tv, you listen to radio...social media... You engage in the idea on a daily basis.

I would love to be able to offer advice here but all the lecturers I had in my time in Philosophy have long since retired.

The OP has a point here. Yes they've not handled things with any great degree of common sense (or intelligence if truth be told) but at the same time they've laid out their position, and asked for advice based on that.

Any response from a Mod should be measured, and understanding, even if it's through gritted teeth.

OP: Philosophy is not something you can waffle through. Mass Media is not a difficult concept. You watch tv, you listen to radio...social media... You engage in the idea on a daily basis.

I would love to be able to offer advice here but all the lecturers I had in my time in Philosophy have long since retired.

Yes, they laid out their position, not well at times, and I offered advice in my replies. I wanted to highlight the OP's problem to ensure that other posters don't end up in the same position, and to highlight to the OP what they did wrong, in order to put it right the next time, to which the OP replied insultingly that they were not mature students or swots, implying that I fell under that category, which I do not.

As for a mods reply being measured and understanding, it does not have to be - I gave advice to look at the book of modules and the learning outcomes, as that is what the exam is based on. I looked at the paper the OP mentioned, and it does not come across as a very difficult paper to do with a bit of background reading, given the learning outcomes for the module. Given the OP's difficulty with the essay, it was clear that they had problems with the module, and from what I can see, took only one course of action to resolve it.

It is common sense to get help for something like that before the night of the exam, as well as specifying exactly what their issue is. The OP opened with the line "I really have no idea what is going on" - I have zero sympathy for people in college, second year of college that cannot open their mouths and ask for help if needed. Fair enough, it emerged that the OP had asked the lecturer and it was not helpful, but in college you must help yourself - do some background reading if the lecturer is not being helpful, its not spoonfed. Given that the OP had a previous question on the same module, without any real information being posted, hoping for a bit of luck the night before an exam is not the best way to go.

You should note that I did wish the OP the best of luck with the repeat in August. You should also note that I was the only poster to offer any sort of worthwhile advice to the OP.

If you have a problem with a post in future, report it and the CMods will see it.

Advertisement