Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening new business in Waterford

Options
  • 10-05-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hello,

*This is not an Advertisement*

So. I want to open new Garage in Waterford - but I dont know where to start first. Is there any place where I could gain information step by step there to apply for anything etc. and what I need.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

AdMMM wrote: »

??? Nothing related with starting new business... I dont have doubts I know it will work I just dont know where to get all the permissions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Gissa job.
    I have no idea where to begin. Hmmm you want to start from scratch like or reopen an old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

open new one...

It's the Entrepreneur and Business Management forum... it has EVERYTHING to do with starting a new business....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is that not a big task to take on if you are completely unfamiliar with opening a business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

danjo-xx wrote: »

Just mind your head when you repeatedly keep banging it off a wall waiting for replies of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I wouldn't bother, the County Council will offer you nothing but roadblocks until they find some BS excuse to shut you down.

See my post here if you don't believe me - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78584087&postcount=4393

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I wouldn't bother, the County Council will offer you nothing but roadblocks until they find some BS excuse to shut you down.

See my post here if you don't believe me - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78584087&postcount=4393

TOTALLY AGREE. You are better off unemployed.
    The state will find every way to stop you getting it up and running and if you do then they will tax you in every way they can.

This country is Anti-business, Look at Michael O Leary and Ryanair. Goverment find every way possible to stop him basing the business here and tax them when they bring tourists into Ireland.

Should it not be the other way around... Bring Tourists to Ireland and create jobs, spend money and we will reward you? NOPE
    God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

You are better off unemployed.

Thats the reply you get for trying to be an entrepreneur! nice one theirishmob, maybe you would be better off in France or Greece.

OP, Talk to a garage owner. And don't listen to negative comments like the one above.

I run a business and contrary to some peoples beliefs that the government and the banks try to shut you down at every corner, they really don't. If you do it right and work hard it will be a success. GO FOR IT.

Thats the reply you get for trying to be an entrepreneur! nice one theirishmob, maybe you would be better off in France or Greece.

OP, Talk to a garage owner. And don't listen to negative comments like the one above.

I run a business and contrary to some peoples beliefs that the government and the banks try to shut you down at every corner, they really don't. If you do it right and work hard it will be a success. GO FOR IT.

Unfortunately they do. My partner opened up his own business in November and the Council are shutting him down over the entrance to his shop. They won't agree to any proposal made by my partner to meet their requirements, such as changes to the existing entrance or a completely new entrance. They just say no. My partner and his business partner opened 7 days a week, from 8.30a.m. until 8p.m. They worked extremely hard and put a lot of money into their business and it's now being pulled from under them by an organisation that just won't compromise. You would think that the Council would be glad to have some locals opening a business and the government would be happy for two lads to get off the dole but unfortunately, that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

They won't agree to any proposal made by my partner to meet their requirements, such as changes to the existing entrance or a completely new entrance. They just say no.

I find that hard to believe. Whats the business?

I find that hard to believe. Whats the business?

Join the club. We have also found it very hard to believe that the Council would shut down a legitimate business and put two lads back on the dole but lo and behold, after putting all their savings into something they now have nothing to show for it.

Tyre shop, selling new and part worn tyres. Doing extremely well, even had contracts supplying tyres to two local businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fresz19 wrote: »
    Hello,

*This is not an Advertisement*

So. I want to open new Garage in Waterford - but I dont know where to start first. Is there any place where I could gain information step by step there to apply for anything etc. and what I need.

Thanks.

Maxol are building a new garage/shop on the Dunmore Road they are looking for a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Who in the County Council did this? Was it one person, or several? Was it just an official or one of the Executives/Directors of Services?

If you haven't already contacted Waterford News & Star, or if they haven't already contacted you based on your post (they lurk here for stories), they will be all over this story, they absolutely love scandal stuff like this, I'd nearly guarantee your story will be on the front page next week.

Who in the County Council did this? Was it one person, or several? Was it just an official or one of the Executives/Directors of Services?

If you haven't already contacted Waterford News & Star, or if they haven't already contacted you based on your post (they lurk here for stories), they will be all over this story, they absolutely love scandal stuff like this, I'd nearly guarantee your story will be on the front page next week.

A man from the Council came out a few weeks ago, we got an Architect involved (he brought our proposals to the Council) and he then had a meeting with an individual in the County Council who is responsible for these decisions and this guy stated "categorically no" - those were his exact words.

I have contacted all the local papers and 2 national papers. I have also contacted all our local TDs - only one of whom has had the courtesy to reply but all he said was "I will look into it" and we have heard nothing more.

Was the business located on land zoned as residential?

No, there was a commercial business there for 14 years before the lads opened up the tyre shop and when this was proved to the Council they had to go in a different direction otherwise they wouldn't have got their way and that's when they decided that the entrance was unsuitable.

They came out a couple of months ago complaining about the signs for the business which are all on my partner's land and for which he doesn't need planning permission because of their structure. They just wouldn't give up trying to find a reason.

I think what really annoyed the Council was the fact that the land is owned by my partner so therefore he was paying no rent etc. to the Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I remember a mate of mine was hoping to open up a small business on a closed retail unit about a year ago. The Council gave them all sorts of hassle regarding payment for things like changing the type of business that the building was classed for, signage etc.

Unfortunately relying on my memory I'm very short on info, but in the end they were put off the idea, and the City Council were probably the main reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sounds like a strange one alright, maybe someone in the Council has a personal grudge for whatever reason.

Was the business paying rates to the Council? If so, it'd be surprising they would shut down a source of income for themselves.

Why don't you consult a solicitor and find out what would happen if you just continued trading, and what the Council could actually do. Would the Council be willing to bring you to court over this? I'd say forget about that building a second entrance crap anyway.

Could you possibly get all your neighbours to vouch for you and get them to say they have no problem and they didn't report you?

Best of luck anyway, hope one of the papers runs with it, or Billy McCarthy, he should be all over this. And have you informed the County Councillors in your electoral area? Though they'd probably do fcuk all anyway.

I work for a Solicitor so I have gotten all the legal advice possible on this. The Council have said they will fine them for everyday they remain open after they issue their Closure Order. If they don't close and carry on business illegally the Council will probably have to obtain a High Court Order, in which case we would be liable for all costs involved, and trust me, I know that's not cheap.

The neighbours vouching for us is now irrelevant because the reason the Council have given in relation to the entrance is not something that can be changed without their agreement and they won't agree to a change.

I have contacted all our local TDs, one replied and said he would look into it, I've heard nothing more.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I am sorry for hyjacking the OP's thread but the public deserve to know how start up businesses are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happened on the n24 too but with Kilkenny council, the would rather see a business closed than an entrance from the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Contact every councillor too pixiebean. They work closely with council staff so may be able to act as a mediator or help the situation in some way. Also, surely the person making this decision has a boss. Talk to them if you haven't already because it seems your partner isn't being given a fair spin at all.

As it stands my partner has made a decision about what he is going to do with his future so he's not going to fight this. If we can get some publicity for the way this has happened then we will do our best but he's just not going to fight. He doesn't have the money and he doesn't have the luxury of spending time on it. He needs to make a decision now or one of his options for his future, the one he wants the most, won't be open to him in a month so that's why he has made a decision now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

As it stands my partner has made a decision about what he is going to do with his future so he's not going to fight this. If we can get some publicity for the way this has happened then we will do our best but he's just not going to fight. He doesn't have the money and he doesn't have the luxury of spending time on it. He needs to make a decision now or one of his options for his future, the one he wants the most, won't be open to him in a month so that's why he has made a decision now.

That makes sense but don't let it go entirely. The things I suggested don't take a lot of time, just a few phone calls every now and again. It'd be a good idea to have this business as an option in case his new career doesn't work out as planned.

I'm sure the guy that made the decision does have a boss. We're going to hang on until we get the Closure Order and see what it says before we make anymore decisions. Our architect told us we'll probably get it next week. Not sure how it will be delivered, by registered post or in person, just have to wait and see.

He's going back to college to finish his Engineering Degree. He was out there today and he already has his place thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Pixie i agree with you

i know someone who wanted to open a kinda grill house think man v food,and wanted everything done right and found it very hard
    Yet the amount of takeaways opened and run by illegal immigrants in this country is unreal

• Advertisement
Advertisement