Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank transfer to the wrong account

Options
  • 10-05-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I recently transferred a rather large sum to another bank account. Unfortunately the intended recipient of the money had given me an incorrect sort code. To make matters worse the combination sort code/account code did happen to exist.

The money stayed within my own bank (NIB) and is now in somebody else's account. I called the bank and they are "looking into it". They apparently called the recipient but got no reply/call back. They then sent a letter, which is now one week ago and still no luck.

Apparently if this person replies it is still on a voluntary basis that the money would be returned, which seems ridiculous to me.

NIB is now going to send the recipient a second letter, in the hope that that would change things. NIB's default reply seems to be: there is not much we can do.

I transferred it to a named person who is not the recipient, should NIB not recognise this as an error and just return the money?

Comments

Advertisement