Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick CompTIA A+ question

Options
  • 10-05-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of taking this exam and as a preparation I am watching all of professor messer's videos on the subject.

My question is, would I realistically be able to pass the exam using only these videos as my study guide? Or should I also buy a book?

I would consider myself above average in terms of PC understanding, I am quite comfortable building my own PC for example. I'd rather not have to buy a book I will only use once if I can help it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking this exam and as a preparation I am watching all of professor messer's videos on the subject.

My question is, would I realistically be able to pass the exam using only these videos as my study guide? Or should I also buy a book?

I would consider myself above average in terms of PC understanding, I am quite comfortable building my own PC for example. I'd rather not have to buy a book I will only use once if I can help it...

I felt that pro messer covered the basics fairly well, but thats about it. He doesnt really get down to the nitty gritty....

My advice, spend some time at overclock.net and start soaking up the information. Some of the lads over there really know their stuff. Oh and it wont cost a penny... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

CBT Nuggets and Train Signal are great

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Never a good idea to only use the one source. I think Professor Messer is great (in particular for MS 70-680), didn't think he was enough for A+ though.

It doesn't matter how comfortable you are working with PCs, there will always be material on the A+ that you will need to know specifically for the exam(s).

A good reference book is never a waste of money, pick up a cheap second hand one on adverts.ie, as long as it is a recent edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Well I got the book (Mike Meyers Pasport) in the end, great book.

Just another quick question: Where can I take the A+ exam in Dublin? And do I have to sit the 701 and 702 exams at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

I would highly recommend the Mike Myers book also. Videos are fine for refreshing things, but you need a good grounding in a specific area first.

Not sure about Dublin locations for the exams. You don't have to take the 701 and 702 at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Well I got the book (Mike Meyers Pasport) in the end, great book.

Just another quick question: Where can I take the A+ exam in Dublin? And do I have to sit the 701 and 702 exams at the same time?

New Horizons Ireland on strand street (near jervis st centre) do tests
    http://newhorizonsireland.ie/localweb/default.aspx?groupid=462

Tommay wrote: »
    I would highly recommend the Mike Myers book also. Videos are fine for refreshing things, but you need a good grounding in a specific area first.

Not sure about Dublin locations for the exams. You don't have to take the 701 and 702 at the same time.

No u don't have to sit them at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Crosáidí wrote: »

Thanks seems you have to book through Pearson Vue though.

And they're expensive at €182 each for the 701 and 702!

Is it better to do the exams together or on separate days?

Crosáidí wrote: »

Thanks seems you have to book through Pearson Vue though.

And they're expensive at €182 each for the 701 and 702!

Is it better to do the exams together or on separate days?

Your better off on different days,

They both Have different type of questions,

Look up http://www.examcollection.com/

Advertisement