Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent!im in US at moment...need visa

Options
  • 10-05-2012 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,just wondering would u know anything about holiday visas.im here on a three mth holiday visa but would like to stay longer and possibly work here,my bf has a 3yr visa with work. His project ends at the end of my hol visa, both to return home but we are in talks about possibly moving here a bit longer...how wou.d I get a visa?? At home I'm a special needs assistant and also have done horse riding instructing. I don't have a degree, but have lots of hands on experience.
    I don't want to stay illegally and I don't want to get married just for the sake of is visa....as we do want that to happen but at the right time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Unless there is an actual emergency, it looks like you will have to leave the US and apply for a visa once you have clocked up 90 days on the visa waiver program. If you come home and still have a current ESTA authorization to travel, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a 'cooling off period' during which you cannot re-enter the US but if you've been there for three months, come home and attempt to go straight back again, you will have to answer some very awkward questions from the immigration official you meet in Dublin airport.

Even in an emergency, somebody visiting under the visa waiver program can get an extension of 30 days max.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1024/related/1

I'd ring the local Federal Building, ask for Homeland Security, then Customs and Border Protection and see if someone can give you an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Even if you found a job in the USA and an employer who's willing to sponsor you, as far as I know you'd have to go back to Ireland to go through the necessary paperwork.

But you could use your time in the US to look for an employer who might hire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

kc83 wrote: »
    Hi,just wondering would u know anything about holiday visas.im here on a three mth holiday visa but would like to stay longer and possibly work here,my bf has a 3yr visa with work. His project ends at the end of my hol visa, both to return home but we are in talks about possibly moving here a bit longer...how wou.d I get a visa?? At home I'm a special needs assistant and also have done horse riding instructing. I don't have a degree, but have lots of hands on experience.
    I don't want to stay illegally and I don't want to get married just for the sake of is visa....as we do want that to happen but at the right time.

Marriage is your only option unless you have a very specific skill and qualification that is currently in demand. There are also Fiance visas that may suit you better. They give you 90 days IIRC

If you get married you can apply for a change of status. Bear in mind though you will need to get a visa next time you leave the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

M5 wrote: »
    Marriage is your only option unless you have a very specific skill and qualification that is currently in demand. There are also Fiance visas that may suit you better. They give you 90 days IIRC

If you get married you can apply for a change of status. Bear in mind though you will need to get a visa next time you leave the USA

I may be wrong but I believe that you have to be married to a US Citizen to get the type of status the OP is talking about.

Marriage to an non immigrant visa holder gets you feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I may be wrong but I believe that you have to be married to a US Citizen to get the type of status the OP is talking about.

Depends on the visa he is on. Spouses of L and J visa holders can apply for an EAD and work, spouses of H visa holders cannot.

• Advertisement

Nope, my new wife got moved from a B1 to a L2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Whatever you do, don't even consider overstaying on your current visa, especially if you intend on finding a path to live & work there in the future.

I once overstayed a six month holiday visa by one day. A couple of years later my immigrant visa which was being processed in Dublin was held up for over a year because of it. This was before 9/11 when things weren't half as strict as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I think they tend to scrutinize visas even for spouses, especially when newly married. I know I have a big book about all that stuff at home somewhere- if married less than 2yrs it can be a tough process. DO NOT overstay though, you'll never get back in.

Wisco wrote: »
    I think they tend to scrutinize visas even for spouses, especially when newly married. I know I have a big book about all that stuff at home somewhere- if married less than 2yrs it can be a tough process. DO NOT overstay though, you'll never get back in.

We had no problems, so long as you submit enough evidence that you have been together for a number of years its fine. Bank statements, joint car insurance, photos from holidays/family events, travel tickets or anything verifiable that has both your names on it is proof

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Even if you found a job in the USA and an employer who's willing to sponsor you, as far as I know you'd have to go back to Ireland to go through the necessary paperwork.

But you could use your time in the US to look for an employer who might hire you.

Also worth noting is that H1B visa applications are only approved in October so if a company sponsors the OP, she has to wait until it's approved before moving back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement