Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

• 10-05-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

It didn't quite finish, but I for one enjoyed the whole EPL draft that Bamboozling did last year. I was thinking that we could do a EURO 2012 draft, if people here were interested.

I'd like to gague interest in taking part and also opinions on the format of the thing - which I will do via the poll.

I was envisaging a 16 team competition with a straight knockout format, but other systems could be used. I don't really want to go above 24 teams.

As regard to the draft process, we'd be picking XI's from players named in the final EURO 2012 squads, which have to be named by the 29th of this month. Maximum of 3 players from a nation and you can't pick 2 from a nation in sucession. The'd also be 2 wildcard rounds (Probably 4th and 9th) - 1 for European players not at the Euros for whatever reason (Injury, suspension, not being selected, retired from international duty, country not qualifying etc...), and 1 for either ROW players or historical Euro players (I'd rather the former but if the latter was favoured more I'd go for that).

My other question would be voting system - should it be simply a poll/measure of thanks of a post in the match threads, or for votes to count should judgement be developed?

Thanks for any responses. I won't start the draft process or anything until this time in a fortnight, because my exams have got to take priority over anything else until then.

Are you interested, and what format would you favour? Vote for each category. 106 votes

Yes, I'm interested
    0%
    Maybe
    24%
    cournioniwhatawastersyngindubJesus WeptLuckyLloydXavi6redzerdrogMikeyt086Moneymaker[Deleted User]SlickRicbUILDERtHEbOB1mcampo1Jax TellerRedzer7Junior DjivePinturicchioBig Pussy Bonpensieroeugeneious 26 votes
    No thanks
    5%
    kryogenLahinchiansNuri SahinRedzer7Professional Grieferyomtea98 6 votes
    16 Participants
    3%
    Kingp35applehunterJesus WeptRedzer7 4 votes
    20 Participants
    13%
    LuckyLloydXavi6redzerdrogMikeyt086MoneymakerSlickRicbUILDERtHEbOB1mcampo1Redzer7PinturicchioBig Pussy BonpensieroeugeneiousG.K.IncognitoMan 14 votes
    24 Particiants
    2%
    redzerdrogRedzer7yomtea98 3 votes
    Straight Knockout
    4%
    kryogenLahinchiansRedzer7Professional GrieferAdolf Hipster 5 votes
    Round Robin
    13%
    NailzXavi6redzerdrogMikeyt086kryogenLahinchiansSlickRicRedzer7Big Pussy BonpensieroeugeneiousG.K.IncognitoManyomtea98Adolf Hipster 14 votes
    Other Format (Please post)
    2%
    [Deleted User]1mcampo1Redzer7 3 votes
    ROW Wildcard
    0%
    Redzer7 1 vote
    Historical Euro player Wildcard
    5%
    bUILDERtHEbOBRedzer7PinturicchioeugeneiousG.K.IncognitoMan 6 votes
    Poll-based voting
    8%
    Xavi6redzerdrogkryogenLahinchiansSlickRic1mcampo1Redzer7Big Pussy BonpensieroAdolf Hipster 9 votes
    Thanks-based voting
    8%
    Bounty HunterLuckyLloydredzerdrogSlickRicJax TellerRedzer7PinturicchioBig Pussy Bonpensieroyomtea98 9 votes
    Developed answers only count toward the vote
    5%
    Xavi6Lahinchians1mcampo1Redzer7Professional GrieferIncognitoMan 6 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would but seeing how long the last one took I'm not sure if it'd be done by the 9th of June as I'll be going to Poland. Until then I have very little to be doing outside working part time though so if you think it'll be done in a month then count me in but it's doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Poll-based voting
    G.K. wrote: »
    It didn't quite finish, but I for one enjoyed the whole EPL draft that Bamboozling did last year. I was thinking that we could do a EURO 2012 draft, if people here were interested.

I'd like to gague interest in taking part and also opinions on the format of the thing - which I will do via the poll.

I was envisaging a 16 team competition with a straight knockout format, but other systems could be used. I don't really want to go above 24 teams.

As regard to the draft process, we'd be picking XI's from players named in the final EURO 2012 squads, which have to be named by the 29th of this month. Maximum of 3 players from a nation and you can't pick 2 from a nation in sucession. The'd also be 2 wildcard rounds (Probably 4th and 9th) - 1 for European players not at the Euros for whatever reason (Injury, suspension, not being selected, retired from international duty, country not qualifying etc...), and 1 for either ROW players or historical Euro players (I'd rather the former but if the latter was favoured more I'd go for that).

My other question would be voting system - should it be simply a poll/measure of thanks of a post in the match threads, or for votes to count should judgement be developed?

Thanks for any responses. I won't start the draft process or anything until this time in a fortnight, because my exams have got to take priority over anything else until then.
    I'd be up for that, we need something to speed up the pickling this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I always want to take part in one these but never understand them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    I was just thinking of one of these

I'd prefer a historic euro's player over a row as messi is two good:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I always want to take part in one these but never understand them :P

You should go for it. All it is is people pick a player a round for 11 rounds and at the end they are put into a tournament type thing where people vote for the winners of each match. Great way to learn about players as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    Done the last two and would love to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    I'd be in for this. First off I'd suggest two things regarding the judging process following selections:

1) Don't get bogged down debating what it should be before the off. The point of these things is to generate debate and selection about what the correct order of picks should be (i.e. the best value at each selection point). The end game isn't as important or fun;
    2) Whatever is quickest and easiest is always best in my experience. I'd say allow everyone who completes an 11 to make one post summarising the reasonings behind their picks and expected tactical approach, then have everyone involved list their top 5 and the highest votes wins;

I'd also limit the thing to 16. Anymore than that is not realistic in terms of finishing it in a timely fashion. Also, from bitter experience, avoid picking subs / managers / etc. Starting 11!

In terms of eligibility I'd argue that people should not be limited to chosen squads but can instead select anyone to have made an appearance for their nation since the last World Cup. This could deepen the texture of the conversation as players get selected that haven't been chosen for the finals.

In anyway, barring some ludicrous format decisions that I won't abide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Interested.

Like Lloyds idea of including anyone who's made an appearance recently. 99% of drafts are about the players picked, not the ties.

Thanks-based voting
    the problem with that idea is it would take away from the the wildcard round of players that arnt at the championships for whatever reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Thanks-based voting
    I'd be up for this.

I went for ROW Wildcard, but I wouldn't have a problem with the historical players one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I'd be up for this. Went for 16 participants and ROW wildcard pick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ill be up for this even if i am still a little unsure about what the game is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Another option could be a blind auction type draft.

everyone picks 11 players who they want on their team, if you pick a player who no one else has picked you get him striaght away. Depending on many times a player is picked his starting value in the draft is higher. People have a set budget to spend on players and realitisically we have 4 draft days where you can bid for players, GK, Def etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Chose 16 too. I think anymore would just kinda carry on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    Yes I'm interested.
    16 players.
    Straight knockout.

Didn't participate in the last one but thought it looked interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thanks-based voting
    Count me in for this. The PL one was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Maybe
    I'd be up for this but I've know idea how the phuck it works

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'd be interested in this, more of a lurker obviously but I was part of a premier league one a while back, it's still a pretty cool concept type thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    screwed up in the poll and took only one option but I was in the last one and would do this one again. 16 competitors and a vote based system is what id go for (would go for match ups but having experiences the last one think a vote would be more likely to actually crown a winner. ROTW wildcard for me with anyone who has ever played at the Euros available in non wildcard rds if I could pick too

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Maybe
    No thanks, I prefer bottled.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    Yup, I'd be interesred. I think the pick time limit should be 8-10 hours though to speed the process up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

sign me up anywya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    I'm in

Maybe
    Any word on this G.K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I did say next wednesday in the OP, I am clogged down with my exams at the moment to get this underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maybe
    Can i join?

It'll be the first 16 to say so when I open it up, unless anyone comes up with a fairer method.

Right. Well, here we are. With your input I've decided to go with the following format.

16 participants.

Drafting XI's from players selected for the Euros. Maximum of 3 form a country and you can't pick 2 from the same country consecutively (Wildcard rounds don't count in this, so you couldn't pick a German in round 3 and 5)

These will be the wildcards: European players who don't make the finals (Injury, suspension, dropped or nation didn't qualify and internationally retired if and only if they never appeared in a Euros finals competition) and Historical Euro player (I.E. a player who played at a previous tournament but isn't still active internationally) They will be Round 9 and 4 respectively.

Players are judged on current ability, apart from 'Historical Euro player' which is judged on them at their prime.

Post-draft, we'll have straight knockout. Round of 16, quaters, semis and a final. 15 matches in total. Will be voted on by people who develop their views on who will win, even if is only a sentance. I'll put up a poll but it won't be the judge of who wins.

The first 16 to register an interest will participate, with the rest going on a backup register. Because there are only 16 spots I'll not take part myself (Though I will form a team with whatever's left after the draw finishes to show you lot what you missed - it won't compete though). The draft order will be done randomly, and the format for the matches afterward will be anounced before the draw for that is made.

So, fire away, sign up - and tell me if I've missed anything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maybe
    In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Yep

Maybe
    In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Inski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants
    Andy Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

In.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

In

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    In

Right, so far then:

1. Copper Pipe
    2. The Floyd P
    3. LuckyLloyd
    4. Blatter
    5. Moneymaker
    6. Andy Carroll
    7. bUILDERtHEbOB
    8. IncognitoMan
    9. Bounty Hunter
    10. Vacant
    11. Vacant
    12. Vacant
    13. Vacant
    14. Vacant
    15. Vacant
    16. Vacant
    7 spaces left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Im in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    In

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    in

but think it is rediculous that it the 1st 16 from that post someone that already expressed an interest from the start should be given a preference imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    in

agree with Redzerdrog's comment

Practically everyone who's in did express that interest in the poll.

3 spots left.

Thanks-based voting
    what time frame are you giving for someone to pick before they get skipped 6hours? 8 hours? 12hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I'll have a go. In.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    what time frame are you giving for someone to pick before they get skipped 6hours? 8 hours? 12hours?

24 - it'll go quicker this time due to fewer participants.

Maybe

I think it should be a fair bit less than 24 hours, I've seen it work well on other forums with 8-12 hours. Even with 16 participants it'll take ages if we go with 24 hours. I also see a couple of posters who aren't very active in the forum have entered this one, and that could make it painful unless the time limit is relatively short.

Thanks-based voting

should not be more than 12 imo

even go less but the hours from 01:00 - 07:00 dont count or something like that

I really think 24 would be a disaster

12 seems fair enough, though we have to take allowances for BH who's in China.

• Advertisement
Advertisement