Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

If I was voting on a winner it would be extremely hard for me not to vote for Coletrickle88's team atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Developed answers only count toward the vote
    whatawaster's team going forward looks amazing xavi, mata and laudrup feeding one of Europe's in form strikers in lewandowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    There is more to a team then a frontline.

Coletrickles team has a very good looking balance to it.

Wouldn't want to draw him.
    -Ade- wrote: »
    Looking forward to this round. I presume one nation in particular will be absolutely raided :) But there is another nation there that have some very, very good players that a fair few here I think will bypass.

I know who you mean. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    Likewise.

bUILDER - great pick, as he showed tonight against Sweden, but you probably could have got him at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Correct me if I'm wrong , this is meant to be based on current form yeah ? Vidic hasn't played in months and god knows if he will ever get back to the same player he was before ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    A serious injury like that which Vidic and Lucas suffered this year raise reasonable questions to their ability upon their return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    He's a risk in that regard but I can't say I wouldn't have picked him in bUILDERtHEbOB's position.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    There is more to a team then a frontline

Yes I know was just stating that I really like that frontline

Very bold move WaW. There was a DM I was sure you would pick, but you went for Hazard instead. v. interesting.

Also, people, what are we thinking about with Floyd. How much longer do we give him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I was fully sure Villa would be picked first, so had to build my team around one of Kompany or Vidic, turns out it was Vidic. The OP says that you pick someone who misses the Euros 'for whatever reason (Injury, suspension, not being selected, retired from international duty, country not qualifying etc...)' so I assumed injured players would be fine...

On Konoplyanka if he had turned in a world class performance tonight, he wouldn't have made it back up to me through round 10 I don't think, so decided it was best to go for him now. Went for him ahead of Dazgoev purely because he has more pace, which I lacked in attack.

thought I might get Vidic but more than happy to see villa make his way down to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    Had a bit of a decision to make over which CB to take to play alongside Bonucci, happy with The Verminator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Really do not rate the guy too highly. His positional sense is consistently weak. Decent aerial threat from set pieces though but he's a defender first and foremost and there was far better available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    G.K. wrote: »
    Also, people, what are we thinking about with Floyd. How much longer do we give him?

I don't think he should get any time, in fairness, he should just be skipped. It's been ages now and he hasn't returned to pick his previous selections.

I meant before we give his place to Eagle Eye.

Was there people that said at the start they would take over if someone wanted to drop out

Never mind I see your giving the place away

Eagle Eye is the 1st reserve.

I'm wondering how patient everyone is.

20 Participants
    Get rid, imo.

He's been online and ignored PM's. Time to move on.

If hes been online a few times but hasn't bothered answering your pms then I say give it to eagle eye now

• Advertisement

I'll send him a message through twitter. If there's no response come the morning I'll go ahead with that, unless anyone has any objections.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No thanks
    I'll send him a message through twitter. If there's no response come the morning I'll go ahead with that, unless anyone has any objections.

Think it's safe to say he has bailed. No reply on Twitter in a few days to me despite tweeting me(!) or answering you're PM's despite being online. Fairly sure he was even posting during the Ireland game.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Really do not rate the guy too highly. His positional sense is consistently weak. Decent aerial threat from set pieces though but he's a defender first and foremost and there was far better available.

:eek:

I thought I was the only who thought this! :P

I kid, I know a couple of others who think similar but it's almost sacrilege to say anything bad about him or accept that he has some serious flaws in his game. Prefer Kosc out of the Arsenal CB's myself.

Frankly I feel the same about Verm/Kos.

I'll PM Eagle Eye to let him know. He'll be able to make his 2 catchup picks off the bat and then join in with this round once it reaches him.

This also means we need a new reserve.

I'm happy to be it, but I''d rather it wasn't me, being the host and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thanks-based voting
    I'll go next reserve if ya don't fancy it yourself GK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just got you pm there GK. I'll do it, its going to take a bit of time for those two missed picks but I'll try and do it as quickly as I can.

Do I go and make those two picks straight away or do I wait until its my turn in the draft?

Maybe
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Just got you pm there GK. I'll do it, its going to take a bit of time for those two missed picks but I'll try and do it as quickly as I can.

Do I go and make those two picks straight away or do I wait until its my turn in the draft?

Fire away with the two picks Floyd missed (round 7 & 8) whenever you're ready lad, it would be pointless otherwise.

Take those 2 picks as soon as you are ready to, as long as you conform to the usual rules.

THFC wrote: »
    I'll go next reserve if ya don't fancy it yourself GK.

That'd be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    I trust you'll be playing those CB's the right way round coletrickle...

That was just the way i wrote it down tbh but they have both showed they can both play as right sided or left sided cbs at the top level , at the top level that isnt a problem imo only for left footers i think they might have a bit of trouble playing as a right sided cb .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    whatawaster had the best team in the draft up untill his last pick

I pm'd ColeTrain as I think its his pick.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    whatawaster had the best team in the draft up untill his last pick

Agree that last pick greatly hampered his chances, was loving the midfield up to that point. One things for sure his team would dominate possesion in every game but is there adaquet defensive cover for when they lose it, I'd have my doubts but look forward to his arguments in the match ups.

Had MickyT opted for Bergkamp in the legends round instead of Van Bastan he'd have a pretty sexy team right now as the rest of it is perfect. Not sure choosing two out and out number 9's was the wisest move. Denis was an absolute dream strike partner and would make bring out the very best in anyone he played up front with, the perfect partner for Gomez who does very little apart from being a clinical mofo in the box.

Edit forgot about the vermaelan pick lol(was only going by the excel update), not quite as good as I was giving credit for

20 Participants
    I think a lot of the teams are lacking balance and some are quite lightweight. I maintain Coletrickle has the best balanced side so far.

I for one quite like my own side though. :p

There's several teams I like a lot but as host it is not my place to say which at the moment.

• Advertisement

Round Robin
    There's several teams I like a lot but as host it is not my place to say which at the moment.

Round Robin
    Agree that last pick greatly hampered his chances, was loving the midfield up to that point. One things for sure his team would dominate possesion in every game but is there adaquet defensive cover for when they lose it, I'd have my doubts but look forward to his arguments in the match ups.

Had MickyT opted for Bergkamp in the legends round instead of Van Bastan he'd have a pretty sexy team right now as the rest of it is perfect. Not sure choosing two out and out number 9's was the wisest move. Denis was an absolute dream strike partner and would make bring out the very best in anyone he played up front with, the perfect partner for Gomez who does very little apart from being a clinical mofo in the box.

Credit to you for noticing that, I had thought about Bergkamp at length for the exact reasons you said, ended up not even putting him in the list of candidates I PM'd to GK to make my pick for me because I have an alternative plan which so far has been going well. Remains to be seen if I get the final 2 picks I want, but the idea is that I won't need a 10 to make chances, I'll need two 9's to put them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting

You are absolutely allowed your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

it seems a lot of teams are going the three up top formation and trying to play like barcelona, great in theory but the fact that there isnt enough decent midfielders to play the formation it strikes me as naive. Even with all the best intentions in the world it is impossible to draft a team similar to Barca. I have a only a few stand out teams but a lot of rest will get torn apart id say.

Maybe

Lots of people will definitely think this but I honestly think a midfield trio of Xavi, Laudrup and Muller would be fine defensively for the most part.

Bayern played Schweinsteiger and Kroos as the two deep midfielders with Muller ahead of them in the CL final and they were largely untroubled throughout the whole game and virtually dominated all the play. Should really have won the game comfortably with the amount of chances they created.

If you have two players that have good positional sense in midfield and keep the ball very well, with another player that's good with possession in the hole, you won't go far wrong imo. The game has been moving away from the idea that you need a great tackler and a real physical presence in midfield. They can be useful, there's no denying that, but it's much more important that they have very good ball skills and positional sense first and foremost. You can get players that have a physical presence and excellent ball skills/positional sense, which are ideal but not essential.

I would personally much rather a midfield trio of Xavi, Laudrup and Muller rather than something like Tiote, Xavi and Laudrup.

• Advertisement

The team I'd personally feel most comfortable taking into the match ups so far would be Junior D's. Think he's got the blend of abiliity/guile and grit/determination right in his team. So many leaders there too in every department back/midfield/up front that you'd know they'd deliver on a big occasion. And most important of all he's been very tactically aware(or lucky) and think there's a natural balance there.

Blatter wrote: »

Lots of people will definitely think this but I honestly think a midfield trio of Xavi, Laudrup and Muller would be fine defensively for the most part.

Bayern played Schweinsteiger and Kroos as the two deep midfielders with Muller ahead of them in the CL final and they were largely untroubled throughout the whole game and virtually dominated all the play. Should really have won the game comfortably with the amount of chances they created.

If you have two players that have good positional sense in midfield and keep the ball very well, with another player that's good with possession in the hole, you won't go far wrong imo. The game has been moving away from the idea that you need a great tackler and a real physical presence in midfield. They can be useful, there's no denying that, but it's much more important that they have very good ball skills and positional sense first and foremost. You can get players that have a physical presence and excellent ball skills/positional sense, which are ideal but not essential.

I would personally much rather a midfield trio of Xavi, Laudrup and Muller rather than something like Tiote, Xavi and Laudrup.

I think Schweinsteiger's defensive abilities are much better than anything he has though so not sure it's all that similar a comparison tbh. I said I'll look forward to his argument and could well be proved wrong but I certainly wouldn't have opted for Hazard for the last pick anyway.

Maybe
    Blatter wrote: »

This was part of my thinking.

There was one DM who I wanted (who hasn't been picked yet in the wildcard round), and I was also thinking of Subotic. In the end I thought neither would suddenly make my team so defensively amazing that they could easily withstand onslaughts from the likes of Ronaldo and the other quality attacking players in the draft. There's other ways to defend.

Can't wait for the matchups

Maybe
    I think Schweinsteiger's defensive abilities are much better than anything he has though so not sure it's all that similar a comparison tbh. I said I'll look forward to his argument and could well be proved wrong but I certainly wouldn't have opted for Hazard for the last pick anyway.

Physically, Schweinsteiger is more impressive than my midfielders, but I doubt you could find me three more honest midfielders than Xavi, Laudrup and Muller. They are all renowned team-players and they will press and work all day.

I don’t see any of these games descending into physical battles to be honest, but even so I’d value intelligence, work-rate and possession as three of the most important defensive attributes a midfielder can have, and I think mine have those in abundance to go along with their creativity.

20 Participants
    Physically, Schweinsteiger is more impressive than my midfielders, but I doubt you could find me three more honest midfielders than Xavi, Laudrup and Muller. They are all renowned team-players and they will press and work all day.

I don’t see any of these games descending into physical battles to be honest, but even so I’d value intelligence, work-rate and possession as three of the most important defensive attributes a midfielder can have, and I think mine have those in abundance to go along with their creativity.

I see your idea but who is going to break up opposition attacks? Who is going to track midfield runners?

Don't forget most of us have midfielders who can press, pass and work all day too.

Also, Coletrain has 90 minutes to make his pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    The team I'd personally feel most comfortable taking into the match ups so far would be Junior D's. Think he's got the blend of abiliity/guile and grit/determination right in his team. So many leaders there too in every department back/midfield/up front that you'd know they'd deliver on a big occasion. And most important of all he's been very tactically aware(or lucky) and think there's a natural balance there.

Ha well I don't think its been pure luck, more that this draft has given me a good reason to procrastonate studying for these impending dental exams!
    I have put some decent thought into each pick though, so I just need to hope I can get in 2 more decent picks to finish off the team

Pick made, pm sent to SirDelboy18. That was an easy pick to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Pick made, pm sent to SirDelboy18. That was an easy pick to make.

great pick, i figured he would go around the 3-5 mark

20 Participants
    Yup, Hamsik is an excellent player.

I don't rate him too highly. Talented but wildly inconsistent and easily the weakest of the three tenors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement