Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    Good pick MM.

Inler was the guy I thought WaW was going for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Relieved to get him, needed him. :D

Did seriously consider Thiago, good pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah he's a tour de force in the midfield. Genuinely don't think there's a weakness in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Inler was very in and out this year for Napoli. He had some excellent games like the one against Chelsea in the CL but he had some awful games too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    I was honestly shocked Wilshere lasted all the way to me. Had meant to go for a defender before this round but once again changed my plans at the last second (tbh id have a stronger team if I had stuck to my original plans in several other rounds). Having said that Vidic, Kompany, Verm, Puyol, Subotic, Ivanovic etc were all gone before me so with the CB options being limited (still a few good ones left) meant it was hard to overlook someone of Wilshere's quality.

I can understand people questioning the width or lack there of with this selection but I must say I like my midfield.

................................................Fernando Torres

.......................Zinedine Zidane.......Wesley Sneijder.....
    ................................................................................Steven Gerrard
    ................................Jack Wilshere
    ............................................................Daniele de Rossi

....Martin Olsson...................CB............Benedickt Howedes......................RB

...............................................Hugo Lloris

still not 100% sure on my formation and would not consider myself anywhere near the favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Why does no-one like my team? :(

XX

Arbeloa
    Barzagli
    Agger
    Cole

Khedira

Rosicky

Ronaldo
    Hagi
    Bale

XX

I think it's pretty well balanced, and that everyone selected would work well together.

I could accept criticism of not maxing value at every selection point, but the finished article is still pretty good, no?

Thanks-based voting
    I was honestly shocked Wilshere lasted all the way to me. Had meant to go for a defender before this round but once again changed my plans at the last second (tbh id have a stronger team if I had stuck to my original plans in several other rounds). Having said that Vidic, Kompany, Verm, Puyol, Subotic, Ivanovic etc were all gone before me so with the CB options being limited (still a few good ones left) meant it was hard to overlook someone of Wilshere's quality.

I can understand people questioning the width or lack there of with this selection but I must say I like my midfield.

................................................Fernando Torres

.......................Zinedine Zidane.......Wesley Sneijder.....
    ................................................................................Steven Gerrard
    ................................Jack Wilshere
    ............................................................Daniele de Rossi

....Martin Olsson...................CB............Benedickt Howedes......................RB

...............................................Hugo Lloris

still not 100% sure on my formation and would not consider myself anywhere near the favourites.

Questions over Torres and Wilshere due to form / fitness obviously, but **** me you'd scalp tickets to see Zidane / Sneijder / Gerrard and De Rossi play together...

Knocking a workable formation together will be tough, but you have a ton of talent on show there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Questions over Torres and Wilshere due to form / fitness obviously, but **** me you'd scalp tickets to see Zidane / Sneijder / Gerrard and De Rossi play together...

Knocking a workable formation together will be tough, but you have a ton of talent on show there.

Criticising Torres and Wilshire over fitness/form and then lumpng Stevie in with the likes of Zidane, Sneijder and De Rossi is pretty lol, even for you.

Thanks-based voting
    Des wrote: »
    Criticising Torres and Wilshire over fitness/form and then lumpng Stevie in with the likes of Zidane, Sneijder and De Rossi is pretty lol, even for you.

What is your problem? :confused:

On his day, if used in the correct position Gerrard is still a quality player. He has been played away from his best position the last two seasons in succession. All players coming back from long term injuries like that which Wilshere have suffered have clouds of doubt hanging over their head - I name checked Lucas in that regard earlier in the thread too.

As for Torres, do I really need to clarify with respect to 'concerns over his form'? Really?

You really hate yourself some Liverpool huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    What is your problem? :confused:

On his day, if used in the correct position Gerrard is still a quality player. He has been played away from his best position the last two seasons in succession. All players coming back from long term injuries like that which Wilshere have suffered have clouds of doubt hanging over their head - I name checked Lucas in that regard earlier in the thread too.

As for Torres, do I really need to clarify with respect to 'concerns over his form'? Really?

You really hate yourself some Liverpool huh?

He just likes a moan tbh have a look at the united thread this morning :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Poll-based voting
    Des wrote: »

Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning des?

Why not leave the cheap digs to superthreads and match threads, this has been quite enjoyable so far no need to muddy the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    G.K. wrote: »
    Good pick MM.

Inler was the guy I thought WaW was going for.

No, it was Fellaini

Surprised nobody with voids in full back positions went for Lichtsteiner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    i considered wilshere but was put off by the fact he hasnt played all season

Thanks-based voting
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Surprised nobody with voids in full back positions went for Lichtsteiner!

Or Sagna but again I guess Injury put folk off. Easy for me to say having taken Wilshere butim going to judge any injured player on how good they were pre-injury as tbh Ive no idea how they will differ after it. Vidic for example will be treated this way in my mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants
    Or Sagna but again I guess Injury put folk off. Easy for me to say having taken Wilshere butim going to judge any injured player on how good they were pre-injury as tbh Ive no idea how they will differ after it. Vidic for example will be treated this way in my mind

Nearly took Sagna. :cool:

Thanks-based voting

When did Wilshere last play 90 competitive minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting

Players are judged on current ability, apart from 'Historical Euro player' which is judged on them at their prime.

if a player hasnt played in a year surely his current ability to perform is questionable

20 Participants
    And he's only had one good season, nearly all the other picks are proven players over a number of seasons.

Thanks-based voting
    umm assuming you wont pick my lad after your technical dificulties Andy, especially as they dont play the same position.

• Advertisement

16 Participants
    umm assuming you wont pick my lad after your technical dificulties Andy, especially as they dont play the same position.

He was actually on my short list but I figure the option is waved due to my fudge up.

Who picked João Pereira? Had done a search for his last name and nothing came up.

Thanks-based voting
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    if a player hasnt played in a year surely his current ability to perform is questionable

well as I said I would be judging on what he was like pre injury as I dont know what he might be post injury but I guess I may have drafted differently if I had known that potentially more of the people in this draft would nt be thinking on the same lines.

Redzerdrog picked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    Jelavic is a lovely player to take in the second last round. I would say the teams who need a striker were praying he would fall to them.

This isn't the last round...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    I think you may be correct.

Considering you have Lescott MM that pick makes quite a lot of sense.

16 Participants
    Ronaldo wouldn't finish his dinner.

Thanks-based voting
    Considering you have Lescott MM that pick makes quite a lot of sense.

Not gonna ask him if he is going to play them in there proper positions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

redzerdrog wrote: »

Players are judged on current ability, apart from 'Historical Euro player' which is judged on them at their prime.

I wouldn't have thought so.
    Lots of players have come back from long injuries and been back to form straight away.

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    event wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so.
    Lots of players have come back from long injuries and been back to form straight away.

And lots of players have came back from a long injury and have been absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pick made, pm sent to Blatter. I picked Shirakov who I have been very impressed with so far in the Euros. I think it gives a very solid look to my midfield now with him as a box to box type and de Jong alongside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    Just to clarify, if a player was selected in the 23 man squad initially but since pulled out through injury before the tournament started, is he eligible?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    Pick made and pm sent to Mikey...

Just a word of warning guys, I have an exam next week and the study intensity has been kicked up a notch, so I might not be around on this as much for the next few days, although I'll do my best to get a few quick look-ins

Thanks-based voting
    Junior D wrote: »
    Pick made and pm sent to Mikey...

Just a word of warning guys, I have an exam next week and the study intensity has been kicked up a notch, so I might not be around on this as much for the next few days, although I'll do my best to get a few quick look-ins

Would it be possible for you to send a wishlist to G.K for your last pick? And maybe your preferred formation to him if we actually get to kicking off the end game. Lot to ask I know, but would be handy incase you weren't around...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No thanks
    I actually meant to clarify it some time ago, but I see it has been answered already. Considering it's based on current form, this changes a lot of my original opinions on teams. Originally had thought all players were to be judged on peak form :p

-Ade- wrote: »
    I actually meant to clarify it some time ago, but I see it has been answered already. Considering it's based on current form, this changes a lot of my original opinions on teams. Originally had thought all players were to be judged on peak form :p

Yeah makes a player like Sneijder whose been shocking since Jose left Inter a terrible first round pick.

Thanks-based voting

Apart from the Historic players . Can't judge Beckembauer and the likes on their current form :)

• Advertisement

Maybe
    abCPiT2apV

Pic won't show, its the my11 formation thing.
    Can't get it up

Thanks-based voting
    Junior D wrote: »
    abCPiT2apV

Pic won't show, its the my11 formation thing.
    Can't get it up
    you were picking the wrong code

abCPiT2apV.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No thanks
    Yeah makes a player like Sneijder whose been shocking since Jose left Inter a terrible first round pick.

Just one of quite a few.
    Apart from the Historic players . Can't judge Beckembauer and the likes on their current form :)

Indeed. Goes without saying

Couple of really good picks recently.

Not so sure about Bouma though. he's not a LB anymore, he's slow and would be at least 3rd choice for LB in a dutch squad where there is only 1 LB but neither option ahead of bouma has been picked.

20 Participants
    I think Thiago has been the best pick in the last couple of rounds. Really excellent player.

20 Participants
    Feeling pretty smug watching Pirlo rip it up here. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Poll-based voting

Surely it's based on international form?

Sneijder was fantastic against denmark and pulled out fantastic passes.

Maybe
    you were picking the wrong code

abCPiT2apV.jpg

Sound
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    I think Thiago has been the best pick in the last couple of rounds. Really excellent player.

Disagree here, don't think he's a great pick. He has potential but I think he's more of an average pick atm
    Surely it's based on international form?

Sneijder was fantastic against denmark and pulled out fantastic passes.

Don't think you could solely base the draft on international form since we rarely get to see international matches, although they should have a pretty important bearing.
    But to make proper comments on each player, really we have to primarily go on their club form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

And lots of players have came back from a long injury and have been absolute rubbish.

yeah i know.
    but i don't see how it automatically makes it questionable to try and judge his current form

16 Participants
    My team will bust all of ye.

I'm going away for the morning shortly, if the time expires and IncognitoMan doesn't pick can WaW be Pm'med?

• Advertisement
Advertisement