Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    G.K. wrote: »
    I'm going away for the morning shortly, if the time expires and IncognitoMan doesn't pick can WaW be Pm'med?

I'll do it, will be on for the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    What time does it come round to me?

Maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Personally i would have went for a defender ahead of a GK at this stage if i was whatawaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    Personally i would have went for a defender ahead of a GK at this stage if i was whatawaster.

As far as I can see, everyone who is to pick before my next pick already has their centre-backs sorted, so it makes sense to pick the keeper now

Thanks-based voting
    As far as I can see, everyone who is to pick before my next pick already has their centre-backs sorted, so it makes sense to pick the keeper now

Good point .I should have had a look back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    I'm going away for the morning shortly, if the time expires and IncognitoMan doesn't pick can WaW be Pm'med?

Just realised I forgot to PM IncognitoMan after my pick yesterday, was rushing out the house and totally forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    Will I give IncognitoMan time so? As far as I can tell we need to fill the same positions, or at least one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Up to you.

Thanks-based voting
    Surprised Arshavin lasted this long .

Leaves me with this
    x
    Boateng Hummels Kompany Alba
    Deschamps Cabaye
    Dzeagov Ozil Arshavin
    Huntelaar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Surprised Arshavin lasted this long .

I'm not, he's a lazy, temperamental twat. Capable of brilliance but so infrequently does it, liability imo.

20 Participants
    Knew it was unlikely Valdes would remain unpicked back to me, but still;

Fu Lloyd :(

Thanks-based voting
    Agree he can be lazy and temperamental sometimes but so can a lot of players already picked .

He plays with his hard on his sleeve for Russia . You'd have noticed him tracking back against the Czechs and making tackles near his own box . That's not lazy .

20 Participants
    Agree he can be lazy and temperamental sometimes but so can a lot of players already picked .

He plays with his hard on his sleeve for Russia . You'd have noticed him tracking back against the Czechs and making tackles near his own box . That's not lazy .

I also saw him give the ball away against Poland and throw his hands in the air like a petulant child. Poland scored from it.

lastdraftg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants

:eek:

Thanks-based voting
    Can someone put a list of the goalkeepers already picked up and I will pick straight away otherwise it might take me awhile .

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No thanks
    Valbuena is a good pick, offers a lot of options due to his versatility.

Cech, Hart, Lloris, Neuer, Steklenberg, Vorm, Buffon, Sirigu, Casillas, Valdes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    -Ade- wrote: »
    Valbuena is a good pick, offers a lot of options due to his versatility.

Was gonna pick this man, but opted for Pilar instead, just purely because I'd seen pilar more this season.

Good pick

Gonna be something like...

Sirigu
    Johnson---Moore---Vidic---Strinic
    M'Villa

Iniesta
    ---Cazorla---Nasri---Konoplyanka
    Negredo

Solid enough I think, guess the main question will be whether people think that midfield could be good enough to dominate possession all the time.

No thanks
    Junior D wrote: »
    Was gonna pick this man, but opted for Pilar instead, just purely because I'd seen pilar more this season.

Good pick

Said it before somewhere on the site I know that but I'm such a fan of his.
    Just love watching him when he's in the mood. Bit like Ibra in that regards.

Consistency was always an issue for him though.
    Gonna be something like...

Sirigu
    Johnson---Moore---Vidic---Strinic
    M'Villa

Iniesta
    ---Cazorla---Nasri---Konoplyanka
    Negredo

Solid enough I think, guess the main question will be whether people think that midfield could be good enough to dominate possession all the time.

Midfield and CB paring are the strengths. But IMO, feel it's a bit of a waste of a position having both Iniesta and Nasri in there. Iniesta behind the striker to and a a good passing/all round midfielder in there, it'd be very good. Nasri, I love footballers of his ilk, but he has been very patchy this season and I'm being kind to him. I thought he was below average to awful today as well. Getting some proper stick in the French press too in the last week.

Not keen on the Negredo nor Sirigu I gotta say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Could someone tell me what this is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

closeline wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what this is about.

16 players
    Each take turns in picking players from the Euro's.
    Then face off with people voting who has the best team..

No thanks
    Mikey with 2 clutch picks in the end.

Fantastic pick in Gündoğan considering his debut season for BVB, especially the 2nd half of the season he really showed his potential.

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    Eagle eye came in and made some good picks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    Eagle eye came in and made some good picks .

that he did!

just robbed my last pick the bollox:mad::)

Maybe
    So, what do people make of this?

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Blatter wrote: »

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

Solid enough, wouldn't be a big fan of "current" Puyol playing full back. Maldini brings a massive amount of leadership and assuredness to the side.

Midfield is good if not lacking in some real game changing magic. Pedro and RVP obv great attacking options but think Mario is the real weakness. Don't particularly like him wide in a front 3 and his massive temperament issues are going to be an easy target for your opponents to question. I'd have you middle of the pack.

Maybe
    Of course Balotelli has temperament issues, I doubt I'll be denying that. :p Still think he's a huge threat from the left hand side of a front 3 though, looked at his goals from last season and see several that he scored either from the actual left hand side of the pitch or from drifting into the centre from there. Home to Everton, away to United, home and away to Blackburn, home to Sunderland being the ones. I also see he scored for Italy with a long range shot from out there. Looking at the video, he basically assisted Silva's winner against Arsenal (the 1-0 win at the Etihad a while a go) from a shot out there that was parried as well.

He has 17 goals in 22 starts for City last season and has plenty of skill, pace and strength to take fullbacks on and drift into the centre to score. I think him, RVP and Pedro rotating, being supplied by Kroos in behind with Montolivo being the deep playmaker would be extremely difficult to stop scoring. RVP also brings a fair amount of creativity to the middle as he likes to drop deep and let others run in behind. Kroos had 13 assists for Bayern last season despite the fact he played plenty of games in a deeper midfield role. He generally played in the AM role in the CL and has 5 assists + 2 goals in 12 games. I do think he's a magical player and the only reason he's not starting at the Euros is Ozil, whom he actually completely outshone in the two CL games against Madrid.

As for Puyol at right back, I'll agree he doesn't offer a great attacking threat from there - just an above average one. Not as quick as he used to be, but still quick enough. What he can do is defend very well out there which is important considering the amount of talented wide players in the draft. Also brings plenty more of those leadership qualities to the side, which is a big reason as to why he was difficult not to pick. Every manager wants players like Puyol in their team.

• Advertisement

Delboy has just over an hour.

20 Participants
    abCQoRfaiX.jpg

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delboy has just over an hour.
    Just to clarify I pm'd him when I made my pick.

No thanks
    Blatter wrote: »

abCQdLxaeZ.jpg

Really liked your team up until the first proxy I gotta say, and I say that a fan of Balotelli. In the sense I know he could be world class, he has all the ability in the world but at the same time it's more than likely will never truly fulfill his potential.

Kroos and Martinez in the same midfield so, so good. They can do just about cover any position centrally and with the former, can do a job out wide if need be.

I don't rate Cahill myself, despite helping Chelsea to the European Cup.

Schmelzer is excellent, unfortunate to have Lahm ahead of him in the national team, thus ensuring he'll be a bench player for the near future unless Lahm is played at RB.

Szczesny as those who follow me on Twitter know (from my at times long winded rants at him :D) I do not rate, at least not to the extent a lot of Gooners do... at present. I do stress that at present. Could be a very good keeper but for the time being, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Moneymaker wrote: »
    abCQoRfaiX.jpg

Thoughts?

I haven't really looked at the other teams in full but I'd be surprised if many could come close to this one. Very good team imo, well balanced.

Thanks-based voting
    abCQoRfaiX.jpg

Thoughts?

You should swap Lescott and Jags IMO . Lescott as far as I can remember only ever plays on the left side of the defence .

20 Participants
    It did occur to me.

Thanks-based voting
    Heres mine

abCQr1Caj5.jpg

No thanks
    abCQoRfaiX.jpg

Thoughts?

You know my thoughts already so I'll just skirt the the edges here. Lescott, he's good but I just feel you can have done much better with that one.

I do not rate Jag whatsoever. Had a period, what a couple of seasons back(?) where he looked very good but besides that..

Rest of the team I love.

Thanks-based voting
    Opinion on mine Ade please ?

• Advertisement

Just going to stick this in here so it's easy to find, I like arrows.

[IMG][/img]abCQqfxafn.jpg Make your football formation with this11.com

Opinion on mine Ade please ?

I'm not -Ade- but I'll give my thoughts anyway.

Very solid team, especially at the back, you've drafted an excellent defense.

The biggest problem for me is the AM 3. Don't get me wrong, they are all on their day excellent footballers and I rate the ability of all 3.

Arshavin and Dzagoev looked so good as widemen for Russia because they drifted into the middle to do their damage (Because both are of course nominally central players). the problem with your system is that Ozil is already in the middle and will take up the space. Russia played 4-3-3 as opposed to 4-2-3-1. Form the midfield, instead of having a CM already up behind Kershakov, Russia's attacking CM's worked differently. Shirokov runs in late, while Zyryanov goes wider, so they didn't clog the space for Arshavin/Dzagoev while they were starting the move. Kershakov would give them even more space by peeling off to a flank too. Huntelaar isn't so mobile.

Neither Arshavin or Dzagoev are that strong defensively either, and in a system where one of the central midfielders is based that much higher up the pitch, unlike Russia's 4-3-3, the onus is on the widemen, who are midfielders as opposed to forwards, to do much more defensive work. This is especially a problem down your left flank.

having said all of this, it is undeniably a strong team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

abCQqpAab7.jpg
    Make your football formation with this11.com

And my captain, is not Parker or Charlton as you might expect, but DANNY WELBECK.

20 Participants
    -Ade- wrote: »

I do not rate Jag whatsoever. Had a period, what a couple of seasons back(?) where he looked very good but besides that..

Everton had an excellent defensive record(and beat several of the top sides 1-0 with some sterling defensive displays) this season with Jagielka at the heart of it. He's far from the best defender in the draft, but he'll do the dirty work(along with Lescott) well and Beckenbaeur will do all the classy libero stuff.

The way my team is set-up, tough, brave centre halves are what I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    opinions

abCQrRtang.jpg

20 Participants
    I'd have serious doubts about your back four, Kjaer is a serious weak link. He's had a terrible season at Roma.

Round Robin
    I'd have serious doubts about your back four, Kjaer is a serious weak link. He's had a terrible season at Roma.

But he's been very good in Euro 2012 so far. It's the wingers I would worry about as in Young/Robben you have 2 players capable of going missing entirely or having an absolute shocker, granted when on form they are dangerous but Robben has been woeful in Euro 2012 and the less said about Young vs Sweden the better. Also I would question Jelavic's ability against the best centre back pairings, ie. Builder's Moore/Vidic and Cole's Hummels/Kompany. What will give redzer a good chance is his absolutely jizz-worth balance and ability in midfield and Gigi Buffon, as there are some poor keepers floating around.

20 Participants
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    But he's been very good in Euro 2012 so far.

Not really. Denmark could have conceded quite a few vs Holland but for awful finishing and their defense was atrocious in the Portugal game.

Also, I see 'current form' as the past season or two, not 2 games. Depends on your interpretation I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Not really. Denmark could have conceded quite a few vs Holland but for awful finishing and their defense was atrocious in the Portugal game.

Also, I see 'current form' as the past season or two, not 2 games. Depends on your interpretation I suppose.

Agreed. That was a very warped definition of current form.

Should be the last season, I would have thought that very obvious.

• Advertisement

Round Robin
    I missed the part where I said current form = 2 games. :confused:

I mearly said he has been good in Euro 2012. Hardly a definition of current form. :rolleyes:

Advertisement