Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Post already addressed ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    I think if BH or anybody else thinks they may have a problem reaching a computer within a certain 12 hour period, they could just PM the picker before them with a list of their choices in their order of preference.

Blatter wrote: »
    I think if BH or anybody else thinks they may have a problem reaching a computer within a certain 12 hour period, they could just PM the picker before them with a list of their choices in their order of preference.

Or PM G.K would be fairest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    I'm in too if there is space?

Maybe
    Or PM G.K would be fairest

Well not really because say for example that I'm number 7 and BH number is 8. If BH can't get access to a computer for a 12 hour period, then he has a problem after my pick. I would be best placed to receive BH's list of choices because I could pick for him straight after my own pick.

Blatter wrote: »
    Well not really because say for example that I'm number 7 and BH number is 8. If BH can't get access to a computer for a 12 hour period, then he has a problem after my pick. I would be best placed to receive BH's list of choices because I could pick for him straight after my own pick.

Yeah fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    Yeah, I was going to make myself open as someone who could pick if people weren't available.
    1. Copper Pipe
    2. Floyd P
    3. LuckyLloyd
    4. Blatter
    5. Moneymaker
    6. Andy Carroll
    7. bUILDERtHEbOB
    8. IncognitoMan
    9. BH
    10. Coletrickle
    11. Junior D
    12. Redzerdrog
    13. Whatawaster
    14. SirDelboy
    15. Mikeyt086
    16. Vacant

G.K. wrote: »
    Yeah, I was going to make myself open as someone who could pick if people weren't available.

Will the draft order follow the signup order or will you make a random list?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    im used to these kind of draws and ran the last PW one while in aisa so there shouldnt be a problem and if everyone has signed up to 12hrs in advance then they can have no complaints although people will miss turns as life gets in the way no matter what the limit. Do you wait till the rd is over to do your makeup post or do you just make the pick as soon as you can next get online?

• Advertisement

Will the draft order follow the signup order or will you make a random list?

It'll be random.
    im used to these kind of draws and ran the last PW one while in aisa so there shouldnt be a problem and if everyone has signed up to 12hrs in advance then they can have no complaints although people will miss turns as life gets in the way no matter what the limit. Do you wait till the rd is over to do your makeup post or do you just make the pick as soon as you can next get online?

As soon as.

1 more place, btw.

Still waiting on the last 1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Still waiting on the last 1 :(

I'll take the last place if no one else wants it.

That's our 16 then. Anyobody else, feel free to join as a backup.

1. LuckyLloyd
    2. Coletrickle
    3. bUILDERtHEbOB
    4. Whatawaster
    5. IncognitoMan
    6. Mikeyt086
    7. Junior D
    8. ColeTrain
    9. Blatter
    10. Floyd P
    11. SirDelboy
    12. Moneymaker
    13. Redzerdrog
    14. BH
    15. Andy Carroll
    16. Copper Pipe
    This will be the draft order. I'll make the thread and we'll start the draft tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    any chance we can get a guesstimate at the draft time?
    I'll be studyin for exams tomorrow and headin back to dublin as well, so i'd like to get a rough idea of the time all this is kickin off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stick me down as first reserve in case anybody has to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maybe
    I get 2 picks when I get my turn?

Junior D wrote: »
    any chance we can get a guesstimate at the draft time?
    I'll be studyin for exams tomorrow and headin back to dublin as well, so i'd like to get a rough idea of the time all this is kickin off

I won't be up until ~8/9, which is when I'll kick it off, it could well take quite a will to get to you depending on when everybody's around. If you want, PM me a list of people and I'll be able to pick your highest available preference for you if I'm around when it gets to your turn and you aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Are the players judged on their country and EC performances/achievements? Or will club performances come into it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    do we not have to wait till the final squads are in to start the draft?

• Advertisement

Draft picks thread open.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78892592#post78892592

I get 2 picks when I get my turn?

Yeah, the order works like last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Super difficult decision that. :)

20 Participants
    So rigged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Super difficult decision that. :)

I made a list of about 20/30 people and he wasn't on it , I forgot all about him :)

Don't forget to PM the next guy after you pick.

Don't forget to PM the next guy after you pick.

If the 12 hours passes what will happen? Shall the next person just go ahead?

That is what happens?

20 Participants
    Really is a huge edge to get an early pick. All the 'superstar' players are likely to be gone before the first round even ends.

But you get 2 picks in quicker sucession...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What I think you should do is after every 2 rounds draw a new order, people might get unlucky but it would maybe stop the same people getting early picks at the start and in the special rounds.

Liam O wrote: »
    What I think you should do is after every 2 rounds draw a new order, people might get unlucky but it would maybe stop the same people getting early picks at the start and in the special rounds.

The order reverses though, so number 1 will be first in round 1 but last in round 2

Thanks-based voting
    Liam O wrote: »

That's a really bad idea imo, and drafts are not done in that way for a reason.

I've done a lot of drafts, and had to draft from all parts in the order. For sure, the top of the order have a significant advantage. But people drafting late in the first will get the advantage of looking to pick two compatible players maybe to get the ball rolling; and will be high in the order for the "special" rounds. Swings and roundabouts.

Redrawing before every round could make the thing a farce competitively.

Round Robin
    Can't have a new draft every 2 rounds, that's lunacy, what if someone gets the top 3 picks a few times?

The way it is is perfect, Lloyd got C.Ronaldo, but now he has to sit and watch the next 31 best players go to everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Must be past the 12 hours now ?

Maybe
    He has around 40 mins and then it's Mikey's turn.

I may not be around then. If I'm not can someone give Mikey a nudge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ronaldo is so vastly superior to any other player in Europe that it would take some fairly catastrophic picks for LuckyLloyd to lose this now imo.

Round Robin
    I may not be around then. If I'm not can someone give Mikey a nudge?

Should I just go ahead now then?

• Advertisement

yeah - PM the next guy. I'll tell IncognitoMan.

Round Robin
    Ok, I've made my pick and PM'd Junior D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Thanks-based voting
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ronaldo is so vastly superior to any other player in Europe that it would take some fairly catastrophic picks for LuckyLloyd to lose this now imo.

that's absolute lunacy.

what the fúck did anyone play for then, if it was basically a lottery with the person drawing 1 in the first round winning the thing?

it's not over, even in the slightest.

teams could be created that have greater midfield stability, or greater width, or a brilliant back 4 and goalie, or any number of different things to combat Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is the best player in the competition, but there really is no such thing is a 1-man team. he will have to be complimented in the way LL picks the rest of his team, or else he could come up against any number of teams that have a better all-round look to them.

Thanks-based voting
    Hmm, not sure about Alonso there tbh. Might be splitting hairs, but it seems to me that there is a more dominant central midfield player still on the board...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hmm, not sure about Alonso there tbh. Might be splitting hairs, but it seems to me that there is a more dominant central midfield player still on the board...

Dominant isnt everything we all know that alonso is amongst the best in centre mid worldwide for the last 6/7 years, when will the first non La Liga player get a call up though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Thanks-based voting

Lucas is Brazilian.

;)

• Advertisement

Round Robin

I know who you are talking about, and to be honest, I had a picture of him in the reply box and was in the process of writing a blurb on him, but I was just unsure of him. He didn't have a great Champions League final at all, missed penalty aside, and Xabi Alonso's consistency and ability to do it on the biggest of big stages edged him out. Xabi has been there, done that, won the Euro's and the World Cup, the Champions League and La Liga, and while being the most reliable player on the pitch in nearly every game.

Not everyone's picks were as straight forward as yours. :P

Maybe
    One thing I will say is that quality midfielders are plentiful in this tournament, they were severely lacking in the EPL draft.

20 Participants
    Sigh, I was really hoping Alonso would slip under the radar. Oy vey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    Casillas is great, but he didnt help me too much in the last draft. No matter what though he should be 1 of if not the stringest keeper in this (legends rd atleast makes it an arguement)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Developed answers only count toward the vote
    Picked him because I felt the goal keeper position would be trickiest. After a few picks the pickings are slim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement