Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Couple of decent keepers out there. Iker is better then the lot of them though, as well as being a top bloke. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Watching some great players get picked. I look forward to the challenge of beating them ;). Still some fantastic first round picks still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Very good pick there I hope some big players slip through for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Maybe
    Pretty happy with my first pick.
    Have my formation and general style in mind, just looking to get the right players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Developed answers only count toward the vote
    Good choice. Bastian is the complete midfielder. Same as Coletrickle88 will be interesting to see who I will have to chose from when I get my next pick

Ronaldo, Ozil, Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Casillas, Schweinsteiger all gone so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    Rooney gone now too. Sensible pick.

Thanks-based voting
    Moving along fast enough . Rvp gone now

Not surprising that a lot of Spanish players are being picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    Casillas is a poor pick imo when it comes down to it threre will be less difference between Casillas and A.N. Other compared to someone like Sweinsteiger and A.N. Other later in the draft it is a wasted 1st round pick all things considered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Spain mids

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Casillas is a poor pick imo when it comes down to it threre will be less difference between Casillas and A.N. Other compared to someone like Sweinsteiger and A.N. Other later in the draft it is a wasted 1st round pick all things considered

Don't know I disagree. I think when the first 5 or 6 goalies go there is a difference in standard between a casillas or say a szczesny or stekelenburg for example. Both are good keppers but haven't achieved anything near as much as casillas. Great teams are built on solid foundations

David Silva, Fabregas, Lahm and Robben now all gone.

20 Participants
    Happy with my pick. Not a ton of great full backs out there. Going to be a position a lot of people may get exploited in imo. Versatile players in the early rounds are invaluable too imo when you don't really know for sure how your team will shape up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Picked him because I felt the goal keeper position would be trickiest. After a few picks the pickings are slim.

See, I'd disagree with you here. I think you did get the best goalkeeper in the competition but ask yourself this:

How big will the gap between Cassillas and the 16th goalkeeper selected be relative to the gap between RVP and the 16th striker?

It's counter intuitive for sure, but taking goalkeepers early is not ideal draft strategy.

Thanks-based voting

Ffs, should have read the entire thread before replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maybe
    I went for Neuer and Ibrahimovich,

OM SENT to Andy carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    See, I'd disagree with you here. I think you did get the best goalkeeper in the competition but ask yourself this:

How big will the gap between Cassillas and the 16th goalkeeper selected be relative to the gap between RVP and the 16th striker?

It's counter intuitive for sure, but taking goalkeepers early is not ideal draft strategy.

Just had a look there, I don't think GK will be an issue for anybody. There's maybe 3/4 world class ones and 12/13 reliable/very good ones. Definitely one of my later picks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    I went for Neuer and Ibrahimovich,

OM SENT to Andy carroll

Fudgesickles I was sure ibra would last another 2 goes, not that he should

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    Neuer is an absolute beast, but still a poor pick for reasons mentioned earlier. Zlatan a solid pick there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Some strange pics so far to say the least even if the andy carroll one is a piss take. Dont think goalkeepers this early offers good value, there are a huge amount of wingers but very few top quality wing backs to counter these

Quite looking forward to seeing who will be Andy Carroll's second pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Quite looking forward to seeing who will be Andy Carroll's second pick.

Stuart Downing no doubt

Trippie wrote: »
    Stuart Downing no doubt

He can't pick 2 successive players from the same nation :( He will have to hope Downing is still around by round 3 if he wants him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    He was online to thank the post but didn't actuially pick and is now offline? *confused*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants
    G.K. wrote: »
    He was online to thank the post but didn't actuially pick and is now offline? *confused*

I always appear offline. I am currently musing over my pick, will get it done soon and pm the next person.
    He can't pick 2 successive players from the same nation :( He will have to hope Downing is still around by round 3 if he wants him.

Just realised this.

Thanks-based voting

I guess we should all try and avoid mentioning potential future draft picks but after the season butobviously after the season he has just had combining with the great Andy hes not going to last past rd2. cmon Andy put the band back together. (still undecided on my next pick but I think Andy taking him wouldnt complicate my thought process too much.)

edit: o yeah 2 in a row rule

16 Participants
    I guess we should all try and avoid mentioning potential future draft picks but after the season butobviously after the season he has just had combining with the great Andy hes not going to last past rd2. cmon Andy put the band back together. (still undecided on my next pick but I think Andy taking him wouldnt complicate my thought process too much.)

Not allowed take him obviously. Expect he'll be gone before I get the opportunity.

1 player left to be confirmed - whether the Czechs will be taking Drobny (who is, or at least, was, an injury doubt) or 4th choice keeper Grigar.

Thanks-based voting
    cheers for the PM Andy though I obviously knewyou were about to pick...had strongly considerd Modric and think him being croatian will help later with you being able to pick up more players from the bigger nations as often their bench is as good as others starters.

• Advertisement

cheers for the PM Andy though I obviously knewyou were about to pick...had strongly considerd Modric and think him being croatian will help later with you being able to pick up more players from the bigger nations as often their bench is as good as others starters.

Hoped Modric would slip under the net. But then realised that I was overlooking an even better player. Please don't get picked.

16 Participants

It was down to Luca or Shane McGeady.

20 Participants
    DDR is a great choice, superb player. Annoyed he's been picked.

All of the players are now confirmed. I did the final editing of wikipedia myself. :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_squads

Thanks-based voting
    Good pick by Redzerdog there : Busquets

Busquets is a great pick. best holding midfielder in the world. was wondering how long before someone picked him

Fantastic player but I reckon he's undervalued enough that he may have got to another round.

Thanks-based voting
    Sneijder and De Rossi a great combo to start with imo

Thanks-based voting
    G.K. wrote: »
    Fantastic player but I reckon he's undervalued enough that he may have got to another round.

no hope he would have made it back to me no way he would have made it another 30 picks.

I took a gamble not picking him 1st round and it paid off so delighted to have one of my most important players in the bag

Maybe
    Agree that Busquets is a great pick. I had an eye on him myself but also agree with GK that he's ridiculously undervalued by the causal football fan. He's at least as good as Makelele was but doesn't get the credit for it around these parts.

• Advertisement

no hope he would have made it back to me no way he would have made it another 30 picks.

I took a gamble not picking him 1st round and it paid off so delighted to have one of my most important players in the bag

Alot of people have used a Spanish player first round though so you might have got away with it but why take the chance if you really want him

Thanks-based voting
    Blatter wrote: »
    Agree that Busquets is a great pick. I had an eye on him myself but also agree with GK that he's ridiculously undervalued by the causal football fan. He's at least as good as Makelele was but doesn't get the credit for it around these parts.

He is not a very likable character and I think people let that cloud their judgement the same thing happens to a lot of players such as, without naming anyone, a certain player that likes shoot air riffles etc

Maybe
    He is not a very likable character and I think people let that cloud their judgement the same thing happens to a lot of players such as, without naming anyone, a certain player that likes shoot air riffles etc

The fact he plays with Barcelona and is overshadowed by Messi, Xavi and Iniesta doesn't help either. I've heard loads say that they make him look good and put him in another team and he wouldn't do as well. Absolute BS, I think Busquets has one of the best first touches around and his composure is incredible. He'd do well in any team.

20 Participants
    Busquets is very very good. The best destroyer around and he can slot in at CB too.

Balls there goes pirlo :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    Pirlo is a good pick alright.

Thanks-based voting
    Blatter wrote: »
    The fact he plays with Barcelona and is overshadowed by Messi, Xavi and Iniesta doesn't help either. I've heard loads say that they make him look good and put him in another team and he wouldn't do as well. Absolute BS, I think Busquets has one of the best first touches around and his composure is incredible. He'd do well in any team.

I think this is the aspect of his game that gets overlooked the most his composure for someone his age really is unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maybe
    sorry lads but what is the name if the site where you can create a team line up, and adjust formations?

Do you mean this11.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I had Pirlo and Busquets lined up but wasn't confident of getting either. Good picks.

Advertisement