Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    Woul either of my last 2 picks have made another couple of rounds ?

ozil 100% not

huntelaar you would have got in round 3 but doubt he would have lasted any longer than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    I presume he meant Hummels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Round Robin
    Woul either of my last 2 picks have made another couple of rounds ?

No. Hummels may not have made it past me, and I was considering Huntelaar but opted for Gomez as my 2nd pick so someone would have snapped him up.

Your picks have been good so far.

Thanks-based voting
    G.K. wrote: »
    I presume he meant Hummels?

for some reason i taught he was the same guy that picked cazorla

Hummels is an interesting one, he is a player I like alot and considered for this round myself but he isnt Germany's 1st choice cb at the minute (not 100% anyway) but i suspect he will be by the end of the tournie.

there is a couple i would still rate higher that are still there but he might have made it to round 5 giving that next round is legends and you pick early in round 5

but all in all if you wanted him there is no point taking that risk he will get through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Maybe
    Okay seeing as we're asking questions like that, do people reckon I would have been able to get Javi Martinez in round 3? Felt a bit pressed into getting him because I didn't like the amount of all round and technically excellent midfielders like De Rossi, Busquets, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, Fabregas, Sneijder, Modric etc. being snapped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Blatter wrote: »
    Okay seeing as we're asking questions like that, do people reckon I would have been able to get Javi Martinez in round 3? Felt a bit pressed into getting him because I didn't like the amount of all round and technically excellent midfielders like De Rossi, Busquets, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, Fabregas, Sneijder, Modric etc. being snapped up.

No I would have went for him .

Thanks-based voting

I find the most interesting part of these drafts is talking amout the value of the picks in each round.

I think you would nearly certainly have got martinez in round 3, 4 of the 8 players between you and your next pick had a spanish player already add in the fact that he has played all year as a CB and is picked in the spanish squad as a defender.

edit:scrap that coletrick was gona pick him

Maybe
    Was wondering how long Nani would last for. Very good pick at this stage.

Thanks-based voting
    great pick for round 3

with ever pick that went by i taught he was gona slip through

its definetly getting harder to pick especially when you know you want either of a couple of players in the legend round and you dont want to scupper that by picking someone in one of their positions

• Advertisement

Maybe
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    I find the most interesting part of these drafts is talking amout the value of the picks in each round.

I think you would nearly certainly have got martinez in round 3, 4 of the 8 players between you and your next pick had a spanish player already add in the fact that he has played all year as a CB and is picked in the spanish squad as a defender.

edit:scrap that coletrick was gona pick him

He did play most of the season as a centre back but he's still a classy midfielder. I didn't put much stock in his role with the Spanish team, the circumstances are exceptional with the amount of talent they have in midfield. I think he would start for pretty much every other national side in midfield, or at least come very close to it.

Thanks-based voting
    He did play most of the season as a centre back but he's still a classy midfielder. I didn't put much stock in his role with the Spanish team, the circumstances are exceptional with the amount of talent they have in midfield. I think he would start for pretty much every other national side in midfield, or at least come very close to it.

I am not doubting his ability in cm whatsoever, I was saying it as he may have slipped under peoples radars because of it

Round Robin
    Was going to have a big debate with myself over Nani vs Ramos for my 3rd pick but Incognitoman solved that problem for me. I needed a defender anyway so not too upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Developed answers only count toward the vote
    He wasn't invloved in the CL final goal. Torres won the corner, Mata took it and Drogba scored it.

ok I thought he played the pass that lead to them getting a corner. I had a fair amount of pints on me at that stage of the night though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

So many good players going off the board. Scary.....

One player I want soooo bad at the moment. Still out there somehow. PLEEEAASE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Cazorla is a better player than a couple who were picked before him in his position, he's been excellent this season, the onlyway he would've lasted longer is if everyone forgot/didn't know about him, because he's easily one of the best attacking midfielders in the draft.

Thanks-based voting
    Cazorla is a better player than a couple who were picked before him in his position, he's been excellent this season, the onlyway he would've lasted longer is if everyone forgot/didn't know about him, because he's easily one of the best attacking midfielders in the draft.

like who?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

like who?

I can see this going well for me...

Personally, I'd rather have him in my team ahead of Muller and Podolski.

Thanks-based voting
    I can see this going well for me...

Personally, I'd rather have him in my team ahead of Muller and Podolski.

hhhmmm okaaayyy

Frankly I agree with bUILDER.

• Advertisement

Round Robin
    Cazorla has been one of the best players in La Liga this year. Dragged Malaga to where they finished.

Just wanted to say lads, I'm going away tonight and will be home on Tuesday, I'll have access to boards on the mobile and I'll be sure to check a few times a day to see where I am in regards to upcoming picks, but I won't be as active as I am at the moment and might require a bit of patience so sorry in advance if I hold the draft up. As long as I am PM'd I shouldn't have a problem making the deadlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants
    One player I want soooo bad at the moment. Still out there somehow. PLEEEAASE

Confirmed Downing.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Cazorla has been one of the best players in La Liga this year. Dragged Malaga to where they finished.

Just wanted to say lads, I'm going away tonight and will be home on Tuesday, I'll have access to boards on the mobile and I'll be sure to check a few times a day to see where I am in regards to upcoming picks, but I won't be as active as I am at the moment and might require a bit of patience so sorry in advance if I hold the draft up. As long as I am PM'd I shouldn't have a problem making the deadlines.

PM me a list of players for the next few rounds, I'll cover for ya.

Round Robin
    PM me a list of players for the next few rounds, I'll cover for ya.

I will if I feel I might struggle to make a deadline, but I know I'll have Wi-Fi and I'll have free time regularly so I'm confident I'll be ok.

Plus I don't want the stress of making those decisions right now! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    like who?

He's better then Andy Carroll anyway.

In all seriousness, he's a great pick. People that question that probably don't watch enough La Liga. He's definitely one of the best players that doesn't play for the big two.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Moneymaker wrote: »

In all seriousness, he's a great pick. People that question that probably don't watch enough La Liga. He's definitely the best player that doesn't play for the big two.

Falcao?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Developed answers only count toward the vote
    Moneymaker wrote: »

In all seriousness, he's a great pick. People that question that probably don't watch enough La Liga. He's definitely the best player that doesn't play for the big two.

Didn't he turn down a move to real a few years back or was that just newspaper talk

20 Participants
    eugeneious wrote: »
    Falcao?

Touche. Edited. Smartarse. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Think full backs is one position where quality players from lesser watched Euro leagues can slip under the radar, I'd have left them to to a later round knowing that some real gems would remain unpicked.

20 Participants
    I thought full back was a position lacking in quality, and there's a ton of great wingers. A handful of great full backs. Thought snapping up Lahm early was a good choice for that reason. And he's versatile.

• Advertisement

There are a number of excellent fullbacks who might not come to mind instantly. Spread about the nations too.

20 Participants
    Not to Lahm or Cole's level though. Or Ramos for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I woul dof gone full back first choice if picking anywhere after 8th pick I think. Only really 2 top guys and huge drop off compared to the rest. Always has been a troublesome position in these and even more so when you have the quality of wingers which were selcted in the first few picks running at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

There are a number of excellent fullbacks who might not come to mind instantly. Spread about the nations too.

The most consistant full back in Europe this season is still unpicked and prob will be for some time.

There's at least 4 just below Cole and Lahm I think. But those are the two best fullbacks in Europe.

But all 7 I've identified would be comparable to Ramos. And they all play for different nations.

20 Participants
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    The most consistant full back in Europe this season is still unpicked and prob will be for some time.

I know who you're talking about and I have him lined up. Just a question of when and if he doesnt get picked before then.

Maybe
    Hey, I won't be around tomorrow until around 7pm. I'm supposed to pick after ColeTrain, who's next up. But my next pick is definitely a German and ColeTrain can't pick him because his last pick was Podolski. So will I just pick before I go to bed tonight if ColeTrain doesn't appear, and then PM him letting him know what happened?

PM me the guy, it'll probably be less hassle. I can pick for you by proxy and will be around all day tmorrow.

Maybe
    PM me the guy, it'll probably be less hassle. I can pick for you by proxy and will be around all day tmorrow.

Yeah, grand. Might as well keep things in order as best we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kroos lasted far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I agree kroos lasted too long, would have him over the muller pick from earlier on.

Maybe
    Yeah, for some reason Kroos doesn't get much press around Britain/Ireland. He's already a class player who will go on to be a superstar imo. Keeps Muller out of the Bayern team when everyone's fit and was one of the main driving forces behind their win against Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Doing a bit of research for the legends round. Crazy how elite the competition has been historically. Some brilliant players never played at a finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Piszczek is good but I think he may have lasted a few more rounds .

Piszczek is a very talented defeder. I wonder if it's he who Rekop Dog and Moneymaker meant.

• Advertisement

Kroos was an excellent pick. Was the player I referred to earlier as the one who wasn't snapped up yet.

Think Pique was a poor pick though considering his performances this season, which have been poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Think Pique was a poor pick though considering his performances this season, which have been poor

The majority of fans still rate him as the best defender in the world, had this argument with a couple of people a few weeks ago. He's great at ball playing but has never been a consistently great defender. Not as big a problem at Barca as it would be at literally any other club in the world though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Liam O wrote: »
    The majority of fans still rate him as the best defender in the world, had this argument with a couple of people a few weeks ago. He's great at ball playing but has never been a consistently great defender. Not as big a problem at Barca as it would be at literally any other club in the world though...

Mascherano is proof of that I think. Could he come back to the Premiership and get into Utd / City regularly playing as a defender? Not a chance. Yet he has played at the back regularly at Barcelona during an incredibly dominant spell.

Pique is obviously a different beast as he is a center back by trade, but I avoided picking him here as I think for him (and for some of the Real defenders) the context of what is around them is a big part of their success, and it isn't possible to recreate that in this process.

20 Participants
    Pique has been absolutely god awful this season tbh. Not a good choice at this point.

Kroos is a marvellous pick, he's a superb player.

Not sure how I feel about Giovinco, had a great season but I think there's better value at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement