Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

G.K. wrote: »
    Piszczek is a very talented defeder. I wonder if it's he who Rekop Dog and Moneymaker meant.

Yeah for me he's been the best full back *this season* from the players available to choose from in this draft. Still can't argue with Cole going ahead of him as Ashley is ridiculously clutch on the big occasions and has obviously been consistantly one of the best players in the world in his position for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Wasn't who I meant but he is very good. Could have waited a few rounds though I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Moneymaker wrote: »

Not sure how I feel about Giovinco, had a great season but I think there's better value at this stage.

I know he is undervalued, but couldn't take the chance.

For my money he has certainly been better than the majority of AM's/Wingers picked in this round.

At the age of 25 Giovinco hasnt come anywhere near doing anything of note at the highest level. His work rate off the ball is very poor too. Talented on his day but I wouldn't touch him at this stage of the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    And while he's had a good season, none of Mata, Nani, VDV, Cazorla or Kroos have been worse than him.

20 Participants
    Kind of sweating that Llorente would still be available. Well pleased to get him at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Kind of sweating that Llorente would still be available. Well pleased to get him at this stage.

I had hoped to be making this exact post very soon ^ :(

top pick, okay now what was plan B again...

Also just to 100% confirm if I pick a French player for example in my next pick, I cannot then pick a french legend next rd right? the rules still apply for these special rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I had hoped to be making this exact post very soon ^ :(

top pick, okay now what was plan B again...

Also just to 100% confirm if I pick a French player for example in my next pick, I cannot then pick a french legend next rd right? the rules still apply for these special rounds

In the PL one they didn't, I think it's the round after the special ones that the 2 same nation players count towards...

You cannot pick two picks in a row from the same country, i.e if you select Xavi in round 1 you must not pick a Spanish player in round 2. Also, you must not have any more than three players from a single country on your team. Wildcard rounds ARE included.

Voila

Thanks-based voting
    Voila

thought that was the case but thought it worth confirming as if people werent fully aware they might have to rethink their planned legends pick.

I'm 3rd in that rd and there are 3 guys i'd be equally happy with recruiting essentially so imnot too worried anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks-based voting
    Didn't understand Hummels going before Badstuber myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    damn i presumed special rounds didnt count as that is how it has worked in any draft i did before.

ie. I pick a german in round 3, i cant pick one in round 5

:mad:

Thanks-based voting
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

delighted to get him so late in this round I honestly didnt think I would tbh

Thanks-based voting
    was surprised about that myself but then again I had Hummels and him on my list and yet ive just gone for a seperate German CB so what do I know.

Wesely Sneijder
    Daniele De Rossi
    Benedickt Howedes
    +1 a legend tonight hopefully

I'm presuming the European Nations Cup counts as the European Championships for the Historical Round?

Thanks-based voting
    I'm presuming the European Nations Cup counts as the European Championships for the Historical Round?

That was the home and away European Cup style jobbie yeah? I think it should...

Thanks-based voting
    was surprised about that myself but then again I had Hummels and him on my list and yet ive just gone for a seperate German CB so what do I know.

Wesely Sneijder
    Daniele De Rossi
    Benedickt Howedes
    +1 a legend tonight hopefully

hummels and badstuber should be 1st choice cb pairing. I think howedes may only be 4th choice tbh but I can see him possibly starting RB during this tournament

The early competition that got renamed to 'UEFA European Football Championship'?

That's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting

Hummels is better than both Badstuber and Howedes IMO .

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    Hummels is better than both Badstuber and Howedes IMO .

you would ;)

but at the end of the day Badstuber is a garaunteed starter and Germany's 1st choice CB. Hummels is excellent and will likely partner badtstuber but I think Badstuber is the better pick at this stage

but then again I would:P

Personally think too many German/Spanish players have been picked who benifit greatly from playing beside a few genius' at their clubs/countries, yes this in turn does help improve their personal game too, and big game experience is important but think there's plenty of undrafted who have been far more instrumental for their country/clubs who'd go relatively unoticed due to their clubs location/success.

Agreed.

Hummels ain't one of them though. he's been paramount for Dortmund this season.

20 Participants
    Badstuber has improved a lot this season. Still a bit error prone. He and Hummels are pretty comparable in terms of ability. Much of a muchness imo.

Thanks-based voting
    GK wrote:
    You cannot pick two picks in a row from the same country, i.e if you select Xavi in round 1 you must not pick a Spanish player in round 2. Also, you must not have any more than three players from a single country on your team. Wildcard rounds ARE included.

feel weird seeking further claification about this but the above would suggest to me that having picked a german in rd3 I cant pick a German legend in rd4 (hadnt planned on it). However below Redzer seems to think we still skip the Legends rd and I wouldnt be able to pick a German in rd5. Which is it?
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    damn i presumed special rounds didnt count as that is how it has worked in any draft i did before.

ie. I pick a german in round 3, i cant pick one in round 5

:mad:

Thanks-based voting
    If I'm honest, the three German CBs aren't where I would have went next in that position...

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    feel weird seeking further claification about this but the above would suggest to me that having picked a german in rd3 I cant pick a German legend in rd4 (hadnt planned on it). However below Redzer seems to think we still skip the Legends rd and I wouldnt be able to pick a German in rd5. Which is it?

It's the former.

Taking a risk by leaving out defenders for a bit, but considering there are still some amazing defenders out there, I hope it will pay off.

Thanks-based voting
    If I'm honest, the three German CBs aren't where I would have went next in that position...

everythings subjective though and who knows if I hadnt picked an Italian in rd2 maybe I would have gotten an Italian in this rd (almost picked one before I realised my mistake).

Thanks-based voting
    Actually dont think I'd do it but if I fancied changing my pick before Andy Caroll makes his next one can that be done by the rules? quick edit and all. Think thatl be all my clarification Qs :D

Thanks-based voting
    Actually dont think I'd do it but if I fancied changing my pick before Andy Caroll makes his next one can that be done by the rules? quick edit and all. Think thatl be all my clarification Qs :D

No. In a draft once you officially make your pick you own him.

• Advertisement

Guys, what do you think?

I personally wouldn't mind but I want to see what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

16 Participants
    If he takes Stewart Downing I will be very very upset.

No, because this thread gives feedback which could lead a person to reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Guys, what do you think?

It would be terrible if this was allowed imo. Although to be fair you should probably allow AC to change his Andy Carroll pick

20 Participants
    Guys, what do you think?

Definitely not.

The people have spoken.

No changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    Guys, what do you think?

No not unless it Is done at the very end and then I wouldn't be in favour of it anyway .

Thanks-based voting
    No, because this thread gives feedback which could lead a person to reconsider.

Thats a very good point actually. As said dont think id change but with the feedback on people not thinking different people were drafted at the right time I did wonder if it was an option. My next pick will make my team really take shape and im confident after it my attacking options will look good anyway so its good to have gotten a defender in early even if some might think too early

Thanks-based voting
    Guys, what do you think?

The reason it is NEVER done in drafts is because really bad picks can be realised by the first feedback comment. Cole said he had overlooked Ronaldo. Imagine if this rule was allowed and he picked Iniesta first. Then he gets a pass because he sees the instant "WTF" responses and rushes to correct his mistake.

If someone genuinely misclicks some how, they can appeal to the commissionar (i.e. you) for mercy I guess. But it should be a case by case basis where a very good reason to change is required.

16 Participants
    Trippie wrote: »
    It would be terrible if this was allowed imo. Although to be fair you should probably allow AC to change his Andy Carroll pick

Level?

• Advertisement

Level?

your pick or my comment?

Thanks-based voting
    your pick or my comment?

his pick or your comment or the above response?

16 Participants
    3rd pick is proving the hardest.

Yeah, I didn't really think it through.

But with everyone's input on board, I'll say no changes firmly.

16 Participants
    Finger in the air time, Mario Götze.

I am absolutely shocked at how many germans have been picked lately especially with the classic round up next. I had 3 definite picks in the top 6 that are german, and 4 out of the top 10. Throw in another 2 maybes in the top 20 and seems insane to me to not give yourselves a chance at these players.

I am absolutely shocked at how many germans have been picked lately especially with the classic round up next. I had 3 definite picks in the top 6 that are german, and 4 out of the top 10. Throw in another 2 maybes in the top 20 and seems insane to me to not give yourselves a chance at these players.

I had 1 definite in the top 6, but I don't know if he will be there. Wanted to pick a player in R3 that definitely wouldn't clash with a potential Legends pick.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No thanks
    I'm not in the draft so I have no idea if I'm allowed to have any input at least in regards to this thread. If not, mods can feel free to delete my post.

:confused:

Hummels is the best CB in the Bundesliga and most certainly in the national team..... even the majority of Bayern fans will tell you that. He'd be their no.1 signing this summer if they could have their way, not that will happen. I'd go as far as to say he's in the top 5 CB's in the world, and comfortably so. There is no bias to it I can safely say. It's the impression from those who view football within Germany be it fans, players and media alike.

Badstuber has a long way to go be at the same level as Hummels, that's not to say he won't be. I'd rate Höwedes higher than Badstuber at present too.

___

As for Piszczek, he has been an unsung hero for near a couple of seasons now (at least outside of Germany) but is finally getting some recognition now. Up there with the best RB's around based on the past two seasons.

-Ade- wrote: »
    I'm not in the draft so I have no idea if I'm allowed to have any input at least in regards to this thread. If not, mods can feel free to delete my post.

:confused:

Hummels is the best CB in the Bundesliga and most certainly in the national team..... even the majority of Bayern fans will tell you that. He'd be their no.1 signing this summer if they could have their way, not that will happen. I'd go as far as to say he's in the top 5 CB's in the world, and comfortably so. There is no bias to it I can safely say. It's the impression from those who view football within Germany be it fans, players and media alike.

Badstuber has a long way to go be at the same level as Hummels, that's not to say he won't be. I'd rate Höwedes higher than Badstuber at present too.

___

As for Piszczek, he has been an unsung hero for near a couple of seasons now (at least outside of Germany) but is finally getting some recognition now. Up there with the best RB's around based on the past two seasons.

I think all involved (well I certainly do) appreciate "Non-Drafters" offering opinions in this thread. Hope we get lots more input like this good post.

As someone who seems to have a great knowledge of football, and in particular European football, what are your opinions via best picks etc?

When I say best picks, I mean so far.

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    I had 3 germans shortlisted but messed up ad I taught the special rounds you could select without restrictions

Advertisement