Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Did not see Scholes going first in the Legends round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Thanks-based voting
    nor did I, now I actually have to decide which of my top choices I want and not just pick the one left

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No thanks
    I think all involved (well I certainly do) appreciate "Non-Drafters" offering opinions in this thread. Hope we get lots more input like this good post.

As someone who seems to have a great knowledge of football, and in particular European football, what are your opinions via best picks etc?

When I say best picks, I mean so far.

I'm not sure if I should say anything just yet, as it's too early to give a proper opinion. Really have to see some shape to the teams first.

In saying that, without giving much away and just having had a look at the teams so far.. there are a few people who have made two very good choices, but again IMO could have done better with their third pick. There are a couple who have made three very good picks so far though.

Kinda just been keeping half an eye on the draft truth be told since yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maybe
    Did not see Scholes going first in the Legends round.
    nor did I, now I actually have to decide which of my top choices I want and not just pick the one left

Guys your killing me here :O

Thanks-based voting
    Guys your killing me here :O

scholes is a bonifide legend in the game but I must admit that there are a few players I was sure would be fighting out for the top draft spot while Scholes would be a few places later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Thats worse than the andy carroll pick. My god is all i can say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Thanks-based voting
    Worst pick by a long long long way tbh

Maybe
    I couldnt think of anyone else

Wait until you see who you passed up, then it will really hit home.

I couldnt think of anyone else

pm sent

• Advertisement

Maybe
    Wait until you see who you passed up, then it will really hit home.

Gonna be new names to me i think

That's more like it.

Johan Cruyff and Andy Carroll linking up.

76135-212235-randymarshjpg-620x.jpg

Thanks-based voting
    Boom means I get one of my top 2 picks!!! Hope BH picks one of them to take the decision away from me coz I cant seperate them

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Historical Euro player Wildcard
    I obviously was never going to get him, but at least I've been put out of my misery early.

Best player available.

Thanks-based voting
    Gonna be new names to me i think

hope youve heard of my fellah, though I def respect you picking a player as you personally know his game better than other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Maybe
    It's fairly laughable that someone said any team with Ronaldo in it was a dead cert to win.

Cruyff.

It's fairly laughable that someone said any team with Ronaldo in it was a dead cert to win.

Cruyff.

I had him tied 1st with another player who I expect to be picked next. Best attacking player in the draft for sure but overall im not so sure.

Also the ronaldo point is valid to a certain extent. The drop off in quality from ronaldo to the last pick is a lot more than the first pick to last in the classic round simply because of sheer amount of talent that there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Developed answers only count toward the vote
    How will the historical players be judged. for example will it be the paul scholes form at his peak with united or will it be what he has done with his national team?

Thanks-based voting
    How will the historical players be judged. for example will it be the paul scholes form at his peak with united or will it be what he has done with his national team?
    I am under the impression it his peak ability and form at european championships, hence it being the european championship legends round

'player A' would be rated fairly high because he was top scorer or best player at one of the euros even though he was fairly useless with his club sides? For example

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting
    'player A' would be rated fairly high because he was top scorer or best player at one of the euros even though he was fairly useless with his club sides? For example

someone fairly useless at club level shouldnt really be one of the best 16 players to ever play in the tournament

Not just for legends round. for it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Poll-based voting
    redzerdrog wrote: »

someone fairly useless at club level shouldnt really be one of the best 16 players to ever play in the tournament
    It happens though, podolski and klose come to mind, great players internationally but put in far too many average performances for their clubs imo.

Thanks-based voting
    for all it is rated on current ability

podolski scored 22 goals this season:confused:

The legends round is players at their peak I had presumed.

podolski scored 22 goals this season:confused:

Lets not make things up. He scored 18 goals for Koln this season.

Thanks-based voting

must have been thinking of someone else

18 league goals in 29 games is hardly rubbish club form though:confused:

I personally never said it was. I think he is a very good player.

Poll-based voting

I didn't mean this year, but iirc he was banging the goals in for germany in 06 and had very poor club performances by his then international standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I didn't mean this year, but iirc he was banging the goals in for germany in 06 and had very poor club performances by his then international standards.

Being in and out of a team doesn't really lend itself to consistency...

• Advertisement

Thanks-based voting

but he is getting judged on his current ability

Poll-based voting
    Liam O wrote: »
    Being in and out of a team doesn't really lend itself to consistency...

He played 75 games over the course of two seasons and scored 17 goals, whereas in the same period of time he scored 14 goals in 24 international appearances.
    but he is getting judged on his current ability

I never said he wasn't, I was responding to this post.

My point was that someone can be playing poorly at club level and still be performing very well internationally.

My point was that someone can be playing poorly at club level and still be performing very well internationally.

A la Paul McShane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    Delighted to get Beckenbeuer, was quite torn between him and a certain other player who will surely be snapped up pronto. But all things considered Der Kaiser was the better choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Thanks-based voting
    As an onlooker it is good to watch.Some strange picks and som good players left.

and there he is. my number 1 pick in the legends round. No one player has been as dominant in european football as beckenbauer imo. I had him 1, cryuff 2, AN Other 3, Platini 4, AN Other 5

• Advertisement

I would have my reservations about that pick being allowed tbh. Didnt play in 64 when they won it and spain werent in the 1960 tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Lads, I'm not in this so feel free to tell me to f*** off! I've been watching the picks with interest and am about to put a fly in the ointment I think.

Round 4 is for players who went to European Championship finals tournaments if I read it correct.

The latest player picked - Di Stefano - played in qualifying in 1958-60, but did not play in the finals tournament (at that stage the finals tournament was only the semis and final). I'm not sure he is eligible under the rules.

Not meaning to be awkward SirDelboy but if he isn't eligible its best to change your pick now rather than in a few days!

As I say, feel free to tell me to f*** off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

20 Participants
    I'm wondering whether Di Stefano is allowed or not either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    rules says

They are retired from international duty and never went to a previous European Championships (e.g. Wes Brown)

Benimar wrote: »
    Lads, I'm not in this so feel free to tell me to f*** off! I've been watching the picks with interest and am about to put a fly in the ointment I think.

Round 4 is for players who went to European Championship finals tournaments if I read it correct.

The latest player picked - Di Stefano - played in qualifying in 1958-60, but did not play in the finals tournament (at that stage the finals tournament was only the semis and final). I'm not sure he is eligible under the rules.

Not meaning to be awkward SirDelboy but if he isn't eligible its best to change your pick now rather than in a few days!

As I say, feel free to tell me to f*** off!

He played in the European Nations Cup in 1960 - something which I had asked about earlier. It wasn't only the semis and final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thanks-based voting
    rules says

They are retired from international duty and never went to a previous European Championships (e.g. Wes Brown)
    That's round 9 is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thanks-based voting
    THFC wrote: »
    That's round 9 is it not?

yup my mistake

"Round 4 will be Historical Euro Player, where you select a player who went to a previous European Championships, but is no longer active internationally, whether they have retired from playing (e.g. Marco Van Basten) or simply retired from international duty (e.g. Paul Scholes). "

there round 4 rules .

he should allowed

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1960/index.html

He is recognised as one of the top scorers.

He played in the European Nations Cup in 1960 - something which I had asked about earlier. It wasn't only the semis and final.

From 1960-1976 only the semis and final were played in the host country. Its only from 1980 in Italy that the finals expanded to 8 teams in 2 groups of 4.

The 1960-76 finals tournaments are always taken to be semis and final only.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2011/11/29/2776104/euro-2012-history-the-1960-finals

This was classed as the qualifying though.

from wikipedia, also on wikipedia it has di stefano international goals scored and the three in the competition have a q beside them indicating qualifiers to me.
    The 1960 UEFA European Nations Cup was the first European Football Championship, held every four years and endorsed by UEFA. The final tournament was held in France. It was won by the Soviet Union, who beat Yugoslavia 2–1 in Paris after extra time.
    The tournament was a knockout competition; just 17 teams entered with some notable absences, West Germany, Italy and England among them. The teams would play home-and-away matches until the semi-finals; the final four teams would move on to the final tournament, whose host was selected after the teams became known.
    Spain, still under Francisco Franco's far-right dictatorship, refused to travel to the Soviet Union, the main supporter of the Second Spanish Republic in the Spanish Civil War, and withdrew from the tournament, so the final four had three communist countries: USSR, Czechoslovakia, and SFR Yugoslavia, to go with hosts France.

The UEFA website is not differentiating and that is good enough for me. They specifically put Eighth finals into the category "Knockout Phase".

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1960/matches/round=160/index.html

It is clearly the stage further on than qualifying.

Only a flurry of late applications took the number of entries over the required minimum of 16, and when the inaugural European Nations' Cup eventually got under way it did so without Italy, West Germany and England.

Built around a format of knockout home-and-away games until the semi-final stage, the competition finally became reality with the first match played at Moscow's Tsentralni Lenin Stadium on 29 September 1958.

More from UEFA - http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/history/background/henry-delaunay/index.html

I think this should be good enough, added to my last post.

More from UEFA - http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/history/background/henry-delaunay/index.html

I think this should be good enough, added to my last post.

Started in 58 and finished in 60. clearly a 2 year period and qualifying

Trippie wrote: »
    Started in 58 and finished in 80. clearly a 2 year period and qualifying

Without wanting to be b*tchy, I have given proof that it is not qualifying so please stop saying that it is.

Without wanting to be b*tchy, I have given proof that it is not qualifying so please stop saying that it is.

Without meaning to be b*tchy, Trippie and myself have given proof that it was!

Based on your view, Irelands 1st Euros wasn't in 1988, but in 1964!! Using the UEFA website, like you did, (see below) Noel Cantwell scored 2 goals. We all know Ireland didn't qualify in 1964...don't we???

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1964/index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement